You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

butchered the river again, thoughts please

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
My biggest losing hand to date, don't overly like playing master cash because of situations like this but wasn't much choice at the time. Line check for the whole hand please. Check the river?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
synergy Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £7.11
siwalk111 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £10.11
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

MochaXS Raise   £0.40 £0.55 £24.72
071985 Call   £0.40 £0.95 £7.91
jams88 Raise   £1.30 £2.25 £24.43
craig11281 Fold        
synergy Fold        
siwalk111 Call   £1.20 £3.45 £8.91
MochaXS Call   £0.90 £4.35 £23.82
071985 Call   £0.90 £5.25 £7.01
Flop

• K

siwalk111 Check        
MochaXS Check        
071985 Check        
jams88 Bet   £3.10 £8.35 £21.33
siwalk111 Fold        
MochaXS Call   £3.10 £11.45 £20.72
071985 Fold        
Turn

MochaXS Check        
jams88 Bet   £5.50 £16.95 £15.83
MochaXS Call   £5.50 £22.45 £15.22
River

MochaXS Check        
jams88 Bet   £7.00 £29.45 £8.83
MochaXS All-in   £15.22 £44.67 £0.00
jams88 Call   £8.22 £52.89 £0.61
MochaXS Show

jams88 Show
  • K
  • A

MochaXS Win Three 8s £51.49   £51.49

Comments

• edited June 2012
    sigh

bet more turn

you could c/c or b/f river, think when oppo shoves river your beat

set up for river shove may just be best

you can play 100bb on mc tables, don't have to play 200bb
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: butchered the river again, thoughts please:
    sigh bet more turn you could c/c or b/f river, think when oppo shoves river your beat set up for river shove may just be best you can play 100bb on mc tables, don't have to play 200bb
    Posted by rancid
    Looking back turn is abit small in relation to pot. Need to get used to playing this deep you bet 50bb on a normal table there is bery little left to shove on river. Thought it was one of those iv put this much in so may just commit it all shoves by oppo, was pretty certain i had him beat as AA must raise again pre or atleast on the turn, flopped set raises before river, flush was back door so unlikely tbh had no idea what to put him on thought maybe kqs or jj,qq?
     I dislike playing 100bb against opponants who are 200 deep if you know what i mean
  • edited June 2012
    completely readless I bet turn bigger, like £7, and either shove river or c/f to a shove

it's hard to analyse readless tho, need to know what his calling 3b range is, what he'd do with tp, what he'd do with  a flopped set etc... I'd probz be scared on the flop but you pretty much have to bet the turn again
  • edited June 2012
    This is more about really woefully bad play with 88 realy compraed to your AK. I mean what possible range of hands does he put you on preflop when you 3bet? I mean if he thinks you raise quite light then maybe you could see him calling flop to test if you have hit, but calling turn is suspect as you are quite likely raising AK or better PP than he has.

Think if you bet more on turn he folds, but maybe not. He maybe just one of those donks that won't fold a PP no matter what happens. I guess if you are truely not sure what he is on then you could check back on the river, as I'm not always massively opposed to this if you really are clueless as to his holdings, though would have wanted a bigger turn bet to do so.

So in short I don't have an issue with your line other than maybe betting more than half pot on turn. I guess you cuold check back the river if totally unsure he isn't milking you, though a check on river is normally a good spot to value bet, but against some passive players I might not, as they love to sit and let you take yourself to value town.

And guys on advice check postions.. can't C/F on river as he is in postion.. Can check behind, or B/F or B/C :)
  • edited June 2012
    I dont mind checking behind on turn against a capable opponent - or at least against one who won't stack off with worse kings/PP's.

The pot is becoming very large considering our moderate hand strength and the texture of the flop --  ie there are few, maybe no draws he can reasonably have.  Given that AK is such a large part of our range, what hands do we think he will continue with?
  • edited June 2012
    duhhhhhhhh

I probz shove then, sometimes I check maybe
  • edited June 2012
    I havent been 3betting light i believe i have only 3 bet 1 pot previous to this with kk which i fired strong on all streets and won with at showdown if he has been paying attention to these things.

I very nearly checked back the river and thought this is the sort of spot i often lose value took a couple of seconds to study the board and its so dry i just couldnt place him on a hand i lose to. given that villian is sitting with a full stack presumed him to be atleast partically capable.

In summery turn is to small and check back river?
  • edited June 2012
    I havent been 3betting light i believe i have only 3 bet 1 pot previous to this with kk which i fired strong on all streets and won with at showdown if he has been paying attention to these things. I very nearly checked back the river and thought this is the sort of spot i often lose value took a couple of seconds to study the board and its so dry i just couldnt place him on a hand i lose to. given that villian is sitting with a full stack presumed him to be atleast partically capable. In summery turn is to small and check back river?
    Posted by jams88
    Villian dependant a bit, but yes in some cases I would do this because the board was so dry its not likely he is on a draw, and so you have to be looking at PP below king that can't lay it down, or a king with a weaker kicker in most cases. And at turn they call in most cases I take the PP off the table too if they can play at all, and so can only see a weaker king or a bigger hand than I have. Again player dependant, but I'm not unhappy to check it back against some players and lose a bit of value when I'm not sure what they can be calling me with that makes to much sense.
  • edited June 2012
    There is a section in Harrington's cash book where he repeatedly refers to a concept of "small hand, small pot; big hand, big pot". Although a lot of Harrington is outdated and doesn't apply too well to online NL hold 'em (only 4-betting with AA/KK for example) I think small hand small pot does apply to micro-stakes online cash.

Basically without some sort of read that your opponent is a loose calling station who will call off a full stack with one-pair, or a bit of history with the villian that will make him think that you would get a full stack in will less than one-pair, then you should be looking to control the pot with one-pair hands.

In short, after your flop bet is called (on this pretty dry board) I would be looking to pot control on the turn. What's wrong with checking back the turn and then getting the rest of the value on the river? You have possition so if your opponent does have you beat with a set or two-pair etc then he will likely have to bet out on the river and you can call him for a smaller pot with TPTK. He may also try to value bet worse king and he may even try to reverse float you on the river thinking you will be scared of the flush draw getting there.

Say the river is checked to you after you check behind on the turn. You now have loads of opptions, the pot is £11.45 and you have £15.22 in the effective stack. Unlikely you are going broke unless you call a check-shove.

Basically I think it is folly to try and stack someone for nearly 250BBs with just TPTK
  • edited June 2012
    Putting lessons learned into practise
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    CAPITALISM Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £10.47
    Natsu Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £8.21
      Your hole cards

moonboym26 Raise   £0.20 £0.35 £2.96
    bolly580 Fold        
    rancid Fold        
    jams88 Raise   £0.80 £1.15 £17.45
    CAPITALISM Fold        
    Natsu Call   £0.70 £1.85 £7.51
    moonboym26 Fold        
    Flop

Natsu Check        
    jams88 Bet   £1.20 £3.05 £16.25
    Natsu Call   £1.20 £4.25 £6.31
    Turn

Natsu Check        
    jams88 Bet   £2.70 £6.95 £13.55
    Natsu Call   £2.70 £9.65 £3.61
    River

Natsu Check        
    jams88 Check        
    Natsu Show

jams88 Muck

Natsu Win Two Pairs, 7s and 4s £8.92   £12.53
    BR still steadily decreaseing though but must be due some run good anytime soon lol
  • edited June 2012
    Played perfectly in my oppinion. after check calling two streets there is nothing that the villian could check-call with on the river. You have got value out of flush draws by betting on the flop and turn, but the only hand that you can reasonably expect to beat that might call 3 streets would be As9s or Ks9s. Your hand has plenty of showdown value but bet the river here and you might get raised, facing a tough fold that you might not be able to make. nh well played.

As for BR don't be afraid to step back to NL4 if you've lost a few buy-ins. It's not an admission of defeat. Bankroll managment is about stepping back as well as knowing when to step up.
  • edited June 2012
    I think first hand is a shove on river vs most villians. You're losing value from so many worse kings. Second hand is an easy check back on river just because board is so polorised, in that its dry, its unlikely he's calling you with worse.
  • edited June 2012
    I havent read the other comments  but the check back on the river for your latest hand is bad.

Your being results orientated.

With the stack sizes, just put oppo all in on river.
  • edited June 2012

Think ul with first hand. just make players notes and give the squishy stress ball a good going over.

• edited June 2012
    I havent read the other comments  but the check back on the river for your latest hand is bad. Your being results orientated. With the stack sizes, just put oppo all in on river.
    Posted by KKrippler
    What range of hands do we put our opponent on that will cold call a 3-bet pre flop, then call on the flop and turn and then call a shove on the river? By the time we get to the river the villian either has us beat or had a draw that didn't get there. Either way I don't think there is any value to be had on the river
  • edited June 2012
    Hand 1 bet turn bigger, jam or check river. As played fold to the shove

Hand 2 jam river as played. I'd prob check the turn if I don't think I can get 3 streets