You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Difference Between Cash and STT's

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Im still pretty new to online poker but feel im fairly competant, I mostly play STT's and finish in the cash much more often than I dont. But when I play cash games I constantly lose cash, I very rarely walk away from a table in profit. 

So what I want to know is how to apprach a cash game differently to how I approach Sit and Go's and other tournament style structures. What are the main adjustments I need to make to my game ?

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Ok, the major difference is you will need to be better post flop in cash games than in SnG, as you are normally in cash games playing 100bb deep, and in SnG etc you maybe playing a far shorter stack that leaves you less options on what to do either preflop or post flop. IE you maybe down to shove poker etc when 10bb deep and so on which is never going to happen in a cash game.

Soreally you need to be careful on your hand selections, which is same as SnG, and same goes for postion. But what you need to do is be careful post flop and really consider what others are holding. Play nitty till you get to grips with the cash game, so PP's and high value hands. If small PP's you are looking to make sets with them ideally, or let them go post flop if others show interest.

Also, don't get crazy with just a pair, as often cash games people are looking to make better than a pair before they commit their whole stacks. If you are playing low stakes be very wary if you get people raising the flop, and definately the turn if all you are holding is a pair, as good chance is taht is going to turn out to be no good. Sure thats read dependant, as some will go all out with just second pair etc, but watch and learn what the players at your table are doing with their hands, including when you aren't actually in the hand yourself.

The good thing abotu cash is you likely sat with same people for a while, so no excuse not to pick up on which ones are the easy marks at the table. And as the saying goes if you can't pick up on who the fish are after ten minutes or so then its you. :)