You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Advice required please

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic

Hi

Just wondering was I wrong with this play? Would appreciate some feedback. Username is GoldenSparrow.

Button is at seat 2
Seat 1: EverBig - 8,000
Seat 2: selftaughtman - 19,966
Seat 3: maxcrazy - 16,566
Seat 5: GoldenSparrow - 18,059
Seat 6: botlancelot - 14,675
Shuffling Deck
Moving Button to seat 3
GoldenSparrow posts small blind (300)
botlancelot posts big blind (600)
Dealing Cards
Dealing [3 s][A s] to GoldenSparrow
EverBig folds
selftaughtman did not respond in time and is folded
selftaughtman folds
maxcrazy raises to 1,800
GoldenSparrow calls 1,800
botlancelot folds
Pot sizes: 4,200
Dealing Flop [5 s][4 s][5 c]
GoldenSparrow bets 4,200
maxcrazy raises to 14,766 (all-in)
GoldenSparrow calls 14,766
Pot sizes: 33,732
maxcrazy shows [T d][T c]
GoldenSparrow shows [3 s][A s]
Dealing Turn [6 c]
Dealing River [5 d]
maxcrazy has Full House, 5s over Tens

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Your 50-50 vs an overpair with that draw, so guess its one of those you either go for or not. Not sure I love the defend with A3 even suited, but I guess if you were doing so to flop big only its not bad blind on blind, but don't love it really.

In short terms i guess if you called with taht hand to hit big then I guess you have to call now you've commited 5k to the pot, even though I always hate going out of tournaments on a draw. Don't mind so much if I've shoved first and been called, but like it less when I call and go out.
  • edited June 2012
    Pre-flop I think it's either a 3-bet or fold spot. You have 30BBs so calling for 10% of your stack is always going to put you in a tough spot. I lean towards fold because it's a 3x from the button, most players these days make it 2x at this stage in a tournement with their bluffs and their value hands. A 3x indicates a player who doesn't bluff pre very often and now if you 3-bet it will have to be a shove since you can't 3-bet small and fold to a 4-bet. However you did call and flopped just about the best flop you could wish for without hitting your ace. I would shove the flop but if you check then you have to call a shove. You are exactly 50% vs an over pair with all the outs you have. Just run better
  • edited June 2012
    hi one of those pots that could go either way, i;m not overelly keen on calling a,3s out of postion to a 3x bb raise from villian on button. what where you reads on villian was he loose? tight ? he opened with 3x raise which put him on 22 or better preflop. the pot size bet on flop is fine as you have st8 draw and flush draw but the insta reraise tells me he's not holding ak,aq,kq,kj as a tag would have folded the flop, so i have him on a range off overpair,fourofkind. four of kind crushes our st8 draw and also our flush draw. insta fold from me tbh after reraise. even thou it was vul for you not to hit either st8 or flush draw and villain to show pair of 10's and hit fullhouse on river. my best advice would be to put a3 suited in muck in sb, bb or utg i'd play in late postion so that i could gather more information and base my decision from that. if you had villian on a range you decision would have been alot easier and would'nt of cost us our tournement life.
  • edited June 2012
    sorry i havent explained it clearly not very good with putting my words right but i hope my information will help you in future decisions 
  • edited June 2012
  • edited June 2012

Firstly, as the others have said, you should simply fold this hand pre-flop. Calling raises out of position with A3 is going to be a losing play in the long-term, whatever happens on the flop in this particular hand.

After making the call and seeing this flop, I really don't like the donk lead - The others seem to have missed the fact that you lead out on the flop. This is a perfect spot to check-raise all-in. Just check this flop to the raiser and he will c-bet it almost 100% of the time.

The check-raise gives you maximum value for your hand as it will not lose money from the KQ type hands that c-bet the flop, and it gives your opponent the chance to fold a hand that we'd only be flipping with, such as AK, AQ or even a lowish pocket pair (though it's admittedly unlikely they'd fold these pairs).

However it's important to remember that even if you'd have won this hand, you lost money in the long-term by calling pre-flop. So that call is the important mistake to eliminate from your game.

EDIT: 3-betting pre-flop would have been much better than calling, but with your 30BB stack it's tough to simply shove and it's tough to make a 3-bet that doesn't put you in a really awful situation. If you 3-bet to 9BB and he shoves for his 27BB you're going to be forced to fold having put in nearly 1/3 of your stack, as you won't be getting the odds to call. If you 3-bet and he calls, you're going to have to play a huge pot out of position and will be forced to open shove on alot of flops, hoping that he'll fold.

With 15BB-25BB this would be a good 3-bet shoving spot from the Small Blind against a button raise but with your 30BB stack, I think this is a straightforward fold.