You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT level 1. Bet/fold river?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
No real reads on the guy. He doubled up hand 1 of the tournament by making a small 3b and then a small 5b with aces, which got flatted, and he open jammed a flop like T43, getting a call from 8s or something.

b/f or b/c river?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
daddydamo Small blind  10.00 10.00 2340.00
DOHHHHHHH Big blind  20.00 30.00 1970.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • Q

giddy Raise  120.00 150.00 3805.00
avishark11 Fold     
Bulldog01 Fold     
patriot58 Fold     
daddydamo Fold     
DOHHHHHHH Call  100.00 250.00 1870.00
Flop

• A

DOHHHHHHH Check     
giddy Check     
Turn

DOHHHHHHH Bet  180.00 430.00 1690.00
giddy Call  180.00 610.00 3625.00
River

DOHHHHHHH Bet  420.00 1030.00 1270.00
giddy Raise  1870.00 2900.00 1755.00
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Based on the one hand you've seen him shove with so far was with AA, then I'm not loving seeing him do it again. He raised UTG, so good chance he has a hand, and quite possible to be AK, though not sure why he would check the flop having hit. Maybe didn't want to just bet you off a dry board. My gut says you are in trouble here to AK or A10, but damn difficult to fold given whats out there.

In short, hard to fold if we call with AQ preflop and hit our ace and there is not much else out there that looks really dangerous. Think I likely make a crying call expecting to see AK or A10. Though part of me wants to say fold and still have enough chips to play on, but think thats the weak play against unknown still. He isn't bluffing here I doubt though most times, just question of if he has you out kicked in my book, or he has you crushed with something else like a set maybe even 10's
  • edited June 2012
    bet fold here id be tempted to donk lead on this flop looks like he got there on the river maybe ace 10 
  • edited June 2012
  • edited June 2012
    Given how the op played As post, by jamming a dry T43, I would assume that he would be betting all his Ax, sets etc on the flop. Likewise on the turn given the previous and that the board texture is getting much more wet, I would expect to see a lot of raises by made hands. When he flats the turn I would expect his range to consist of diamonds, 5s, 8s-Ks, 89 and some random 7x hands. The river only helps 10s, 89 and T7, however I would not expect to see 89 and T7 in a 6x UTG opening range, given this I would think the range of the op is 10s or air. Given how little the op is representing in this spot I would be bet/calling the river.
  • edited June 2012

Q1. Why did you not bet flop?

• edited June 2012
    Early tournament. Could opponent be fishing with 66 or even 44 or 77. Just a thought...as it would explain the checks to let you catch something....
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT level 1. Bet/fold river?:
    Early tournament. Could opponent be fishing with 66 or even 44 or 77. Just a thought...as it would explain the checks to let you catch something....
    Posted by profman15
    Maybe, but 6xbb UTG raise with 66 or 44 would be oddish play. AK or A10, or even AA again seems more likely than those.
  • edited June 2012
    Q1. Why did you not bet flop?
    Posted by Glenelg
    Checked to pre-flop aggressor,  super standard.
  • edited June 2012
    Think i might even just fold pre tbh, guy has 6x'd pre,   don't really want to be playing big pots out of position early on.
    When playing a player like this in position, should be easy money in the right spots.

Edit :   As played, probably even check the turn, then check call river. Small pot ftw.
  • edited June 2012
    Think i might even just fold pre tbh, guy has 6x'd pre,   don't really want to be playing big pots out of position early on. When playing a player like this in position, should be easy money in the right spots. Edit :   As played, probably even check the turn, then check call river. Small pot ftw.
    Posted by 1267
    I agree 100%, i said this to Dohhhhhh privatley and he lolled at me!
  • edited June 2012
    A Q FOLD PRE EARLY STAGES TO 6 X RAISE I WOULD LOL ASWELL THAT IS SUPER NITTY 
  • edited June 2012
    Given how the op played As post, by jamming a dry T43, I would assume that he would be betting all his Ax, sets etc on the flop. Likewise on the turn given the previous and that the board texture is getting much more wet, I would expect to see a lot of raises by made hands. When he flats the turn I would expect his range to consist of diamonds, 5s, 8s-Ks, 89 and some random 7x hands. The river only helps 10s, 89 and T7, however I would not expect to see 89 and T7 in a 6x UTG opening range, given this I would think the range of the op is 10s or air. Given how little the op is representing in this spot I would be bet/calling the river.
    Posted by wason06
    On reflection I agree with all this. 

I'm normally terrible @ sticking to my plan of bet/folding. The one time I do manage to do it, I instantly regretted it. 

It's hard for me to think this clearly about his ranges in game.

-----------------------------

I suppose I could fold pre flop. But as played, I can't see any reason not to bet the turn and river. 

----------------------------

I folded btw, so unfortunately I/we/you don't get to find out :(

Thnx for all replies. 
  • edited June 2012
    b/f or c/c

AK,10'S or air

would think your beat more often than not, but I know nothing of oppo and if oppo is capable of bluffing river
  • edited June 2012
    Only read OP.

Such a weird line with the 6x pre n checking back flop, flatting turn.

Wouldnt be surprised to see a set.  We only beat AJ/9 so I prob c/c river as bluff catcher, not minding potentially losing some value against just those two hands.
  • edited June 2012
    Think folding pre would be fine

Turn bet fine

B/f river is good imo
  • edited June 2012
    Think i might even just fold pre tbh, guy has 6x'd pre,   don't really want to be playing big pots out of position early on. When playing a player like this in position, should be easy money in the right spots. Edit :   As played, probably even check the turn, then check call river. Small pot ftw.
    Posted by 1267
    +1