You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

From Freeroll to Bank Roll

More of an expression of disbeleif than a brag. Normally play tourneys or HUSNG for 1-2 pound entry fee, BR was down to 7 quid after losing some bets on  the England matches and a bit of a bad run on the cards.

Won an entry into the 12k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter from Tikay's poker blog and managed to come 11th out of £381 and take four heads with a cash of about £130.

Now my BR is reasnable trying to decide whether to stick with HUSNG and MTT or try and learn cash poker, my thinking is leaning towards the former at the moment as this is where most of my knowledge/experience is.

Also want to start psting on the forum more often too.

Treated myself to a poker maths book as a celebation, and mre than a few beers tonight!

Cheers,
DOOOOG

Comments

• edited June 2012
    In Response to From Freeroll to Bank Roll:
    More of an expression of disbeleif than a brag. Normally play tourneys or HUSNG for 1-2 pound entry fee, BR was down to 7 quid after losing some bets on  the England matches and a bit of a bad run on the cards.  Won an entry into the 12k Sky Sports Bounty Hunter from Tikay's poker blog and managed to come 11th out of £381 and take four heads with a cash of about £130.  Now my BR is reasnable trying to decide whether to stick with HUSNG and MTT or try and learn cash poker, my thinking is leaning towards the former at the moment as this is where most of my knowledge/experience is.  Also want to start psting on the forum more often too.  Treated myself to a poker maths book as a celebation, and mre than a few beers tonight! Cheers, DOOOOG
    Posted by DOOOOG
    NIce bink! ;-)  Regards what to play? I think it depends what you want to get out of your poker.  If, like me, you want to learn the game and it's recreational I want the most play for my money.  I find the way to achieve this is by playing deepstack MTT's & DYM's.   I'd like to play cash but any time I've ventured onto the cash tables I've had a "smack round the chops" and lost enough cash to keep me going in tourneys for a week! (Usually after a few beers on a Fri/Sat nite mind!)  I suppose there would be no harm in setting aside a % of your BR and "diving in".  Which book did you buy?  
    Good luck & cya @ the tables possibly.
    pad 
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: From Freeroll to Bank Roll:
    In Response to From Freeroll to Bank Roll : NIce bink! ;-)  Regards what to play? I think it depends what you want to get out of your poker.  If, like me, you want to learn the game and it's recreational I want the most play for my money.  I find the way to achieve this is by playing deepstack MTT's & DYM's.   I'd like to play cash but any time I've ventured onto the cash tables I've had a "smack round the chops" and lost enough cash to keep me going in tourneys for a week! (Usually after a few beers on a Fri/Sat nite mind!)  I suppose there would be no harm in setting aside a % of your BR and "diving in".  Which book did you buy?   Good luck & cya @ the tables possibly. pad 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Cheers mate.

Think you're right, I'll stick with the MTTs although I prefer HUSNG's to DYMs, suits my style I think.

I've had a few goes at cash but don't tend to do that well, probably as I haven't invested much time in it and it is a different game. I've done OK at heads up cash but the rake is a killer so I stick to the sit 'n' go's.

Might try playing more deep stacks as this it's a bit closer to the cash experience.

The book I've ordered is:  Poker Math That Matters - Simplifying the Secrets of No-limit Hold'em by
    Owen Gaines.

Seems to have good reviews on a lot of the forums and focuses on short cuts to calculations rather than memorising tables of odds.

Cheers,
    Doug

• edited June 2012
    I would play cash if you want to develop your game, mtt/stt can become very functional in my experience.

Really just play whichever games you enjoy, that's what it's all about for us more "recreational" players, something I have tended to forget at times.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: From Freeroll to Bank Roll:
    I would play cash if you want to develop your game, mtt/stt can become very functional in my experience. Really just play whichever games you enjoy, that's what it's all about for us more "recreational" players, something I have tended to forget at times.
    Posted by diablo_pez
    Cheers mate, will give it some thought.

Doug