You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Online Poker?

edited June 2012 in Area 51
Can anyone 100% prove its not rigged? If so explain...

Comments

• edited June 2012
  • edited June 2012
    no one can disprove or prove it is rigged..  the software is checked but that is not by a government appointed panel.. 

the system is checked by certain groups(i dont know but others do and i am sure they will say)

so the long story short..  it is what you think it is.. all sites
  • edited June 2012
    pay ya money and take ya chances :-)

• edited June 2012

All sites make great store out of the fact that the RNG is tested but that doesn't really guarantee it's random.

The problem with the favoured means of assuring customers that the game is random is that the RNG is only part of the whole. To use an MOT analogy, if my car had it's steering and tyres checked and was awarded an MOT certificate it wouldn't mean it was safe. Failing to check the brakes would be a serious omission and therefore the MOT would not guarantee a safe vehicle.

Until all aspects of the game are subjected to checks, just saying the RNG is performing correctly cannot be the guarantee of a random game. The RNG is able to generate far more card sequences than are required and at this time there is no guarantee as to which sequences are used and which if any are discarded or whether the sequences are delivered in the order they are generated. Also there is no check made regarding the distribution of any RNG generated sequence to the table.

Proving the game to be random is impossible without all aspects of the generation and distribution of cards being subject to regular scrutiny. It is also impossible to prove the game to be anything but random because the only reference available is the RNG output, which, providing the RNG is functioning correctly, will always show a random generation of card sequences.

The actual checking and regulation of poker sites is a grey area. The regulation is undertaken by autonomous off-shore regulators. The checking of the RNG and accompanying software is undertaken by the manufacturers of that software. Neither of these can be said to be independent as both have a vested interest in the outcome of the checks.

In the case of the regulators, the poker sites they are regulating are their customers. The very people who provide their income based on the turnover of the poker site.

In the case of the RNG certifiers, they supply the software and yet provide no information as to the workings of that software. The only guarantee they give is that it will give everyone a fair game.

The problem I have with that statement is that a truly random deal would not be fair to everyone. It would be random.

• edited June 2012
    I don't think it's the same as dealing a proper pack of cards yourself. However i don't think it's 'rigged', just probably not completely random.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah i agree with the last couple of posts! I dont think Sky or whoever are trying to 'Rip' people off but i do think on line poker is fixed for action to get more people playing! I hear alot of people say they hate live poker because it boring and they'd sooner play on line! So having these 'fixed' hands creates more action for people and it also sucks in the gamblers!

I play on line poker to pass the time but i will never fully accept it as proper poker as its computer generated so how can it be!

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Online Poker?:
    Yeah i agree with the last couple of posts! I dont think Sky or whoever are trying to 'Rip' people off but i do think on line poker is fixed for action to get more people playing! I hear alot of people say they hate live poker because it boring and they'd sooner play on line! So having these 'fixed' hands creates more action for people and it also sucks in the gamblers! I play on line poker to pass the time but i will never fully accept it as proper poker as its computer generated so how can it be!
    Posted by ClintonH83
    well said. i much prefer live poker but cant afford the 6 hours each night when running deep. there are alot of action hands and it is set up for pure gamblers
  • edited June 2012
    Why would they even consider rigging it??? It makes no difference to Sky who wins they take there money through the rake so what would they have to gain by it not being random?? Plus us poker players have very selective memories we remember the bad beats but we soon forget how many times our aa hold up and we move on.
  • edited June 2012
    Why would they even consider rigging it??? It makes no difference to Sky who wins they take there money through the rake so what would they have to gain by it not being random?? Plus us poker players have very selective memories we remember the bad beats but we soon forget how many times our aa hold up and we move on.
    Posted by gedders222
    A pretty naive post this imo , read elsadogs post again , properly
  • edited June 2012
    Posted by gedders222
    Every argument as to why they would not rig it can be countered by a perfectly logical argument as to why they might.

I won't go into lists of arguments for and against but in answer to your point ....... well actually you almost answer it yourself....... Sites make money by taking rake. Any means of increasing rake is a very good reason. That doesn't mean they do but there are good reasons to if they so wished.

ps. Before you say they make enough without cheating - the NOW was the biggest selling newspaper in the world and it didn't stop them.
  • edited June 2012
    All sites make great store out of the fact that the RNG is tested but that doesn't really guarantee it's random. The problem with the favoured means of assuring customers that the game is random is that the RNG is only part of the whole. To use an MOT analogy, if my car had it's steering and tyres checked and was awarded an MOT certificate it wouldn't mean it was safe. Failing to check the brakes would be a serious omission and therefore the MOT would not guarantee a safe vehicle. Until all aspects of the game are subjected to checks, just saying the RNG is performing correctly cannot be the guarantee of a random game. The RNG is able to generate far more card sequences than are required and at this time there is no guarantee as to which sequences are used and which if any are discarded or whether the sequences are delivered in the order they are generated. Also there is no check made regarding the distribution of any RNG generated sequence to the table. Proving the game to be random is impossible without all aspects of the generation and distribution of cards being subject to regular scrutiny. It is also impossible to prove the game to be anything but random because the only reference available is the RNG output, which, providing the RNG is functioning correctly, will always show a random generation of card sequences. The actual checking and regulation of poker sites is a grey area. The regulation is undertaken by autonomous off-shore regulators. The checking of the RNG and accompanying software is undertaken by the manufacturers of that software. Neither of these can be said to be independent as both have a vested interest in the outcome of the checks. In the case of the regulators, the poker sites they are regulating are their customers. The very people who provide their income based on the turnover of the poker site. In the case of the RNG certifiers, they supply the software and yet provide no information as to the workings of that software. The only guarantee they give is that it will give everyone a fair game. The problem I have with that statement is that a truly random deal would not be fair to everyone. It would be random.
    Posted by elsadog
    Sorry Elsadog but there are some significant and misleading inaccuracies in this.

Please do not post such things without knowing all the facts.

Sky Poker is fully regulated and things like the RNG are independently tested.

Sky Poker