You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

variance hmmmm!

ok i know about swings and roundabouts wins and losses and variance in poker and have always just brushed it off no matter what site ive played on! but the last few days have been unreal and i mean unreal!!
not once but twice ive had runner runner against me for 4 of a kind in hands that donks shouldnt even be playing! ive been rivered way to many times the last few nights than this "variance" should allow!
but it does make me wonder as 2 nights ago i won a seat by satelite to the 21:30 bounty hunter but i wasnt auto added so tryed to get through to sky chat to sort it but only managed to speak to live chat 5 mins after tourney had started! i wasnt happy at all and since then (after i told them i wasnt happy) im losing every hand i play lol!! coincidence?? ...i had pocket aces 4 times in tourneys today and 4 times someone pushes all in before me with pocket 10's and they win all 4 times!!

like i said i know all about variance and have turned £10 into nearly £2000 on here since feb but i just dont know what to think by the last 2 days on here!!

i do like this site though lol

grumble over!

Comments

• edited June 2012
    In Response to variance hmmmm!:
    ok i know about swings and roundabouts wins and losses and variance in poker and have always just brushed it off no matter what site ive played on! but the last few days have been unreal and i mean unreal!! not once but twice ive had runner runner against me for 4 of a kind in hands that donks shouldnt even be playing! ive been rivered way to many times the last few nights than this "variance" should allow! but it does make me wonder as 2 nights ago i won a seat by satelite to the 21:30 bounty hunter but i wasnt auto added so tryed to get through to sky chat to sort it but only managed to speak to live chat 5 mins after tourney had started! i wasnt happy at all and since then (after i told them i wasnt happy) im losing every hand i play lol!! coincidence?? ...i had pocket aces 4 times in tourneys today and 4 times someone pushes all in before me with pocket 10's and they win all 4 times!! like i said i know all about variance and have turned £10 into nearly £2000 on here since feb but i just dont know what to think by the last 2 days on here!! i do like this site though lol grumble over!
    Posted by tripl3ac3s

Would you rather have it the other way around?

Some people really are just unbelievable!!!!

So you ran bad for a couple of days. so what!!!
  • edited June 2012

This is the type of post I just hate soooo badly. Its all rigged and they are doomed switched when they lose a few hands, and then at the end we get told how they have turned £10 into £2000. Where was the oh its all rigged posts then?

You clearly don't understand variance or you wouldn't be posting about how your luck has been bad for TWO days. I mean really, are you kidding? Downswings can last weeks, or longer sometimes if you play the game long enough. The simple fact is that the human brain CANNOT physically remember enough data to take variance into account. You will natuarlly remember the badbeats far more than all the times hands stand up, and despite losing with AA 4 times in a row I can bet you all the tea in china it will stand up 80% of the time over a proper sample of hands.

As we can't remember 50,000+ hands (and likely more) that we would need for a proper sample size that gets variance down below 1% its easy to see patterns that just aren't there when we have bad days at the table. Seriously this is normal. Go look on utube and see how often ridiculous things happen in live poker. There are some cases where someone has been a massive favourite to win a hand, and its been run four times only for them to lose every time. Which was odds of less than 0.1% chance of happening. Fact is if something has odds of happening, it can and willl happen. :)

• edited June 2012
    In Response to variance hmmmm!:
    ok i know about swings and roundabouts wins and losses and variance in poker and have always just brushed it off no matter what site ive played on! but the last few days have been unreal and i mean unreal!! not once but twice ive had runner runner against me for 4 of a kind in hands that donks shouldnt even be playing! ive been rivered way to many times the last few nights than this "variance" should allow! but it does make me wonder as 2 nights ago i won a seat by satelite to the 21:30 bounty hunter but i wasnt auto added so tryed to get through to sky chat to sort it but only managed to speak to live chat 5 mins after tourney had started! i wasnt happy at all and since then (after i told them i wasnt happy) im losing every hand i play lol!! coincidence?? ...i had pocket aces 4 times in tourneys today and 4 times someone pushes all in before me with pocket 10's and they win all 4 times!! like i said i know all about variance and have turned £10 into nearly £2000 on here since feb but i just dont know what to think by the last 2 days on here!! i do like this site though lol grumble over!
    Posted by tripl3ac3s
    I loled.
  • edited June 2012
    Don't listen to them all, the customer care team have set your doom switch to 11.