You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10NL Hand - lost value on turn?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Did I play this ok? Feared I might lose value on the turn, I might be trying to rep too specific a hand/range but I wanted it to look like I was check/calling with just 1 big heart and so planned to overbet 'bluff' the river if another heart didn't come.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £12.81
skymac47 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.95
rancid Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • Q

Askull Fold        
archwiz28 Call   £0.10 £0.25 £11.65
poker1 Fold        
Lambert180 Call   £0.05 £0.30 £12.76
skymac47 Check        
Flop

• A

Lambert180 Check        
skymac47 Check        
archwiz28 Bet   £0.23 £0.53 £11.42
Lambert180 Call   £0.23 £0.76 £12.53
skymac47 Fold        
Turn

• Q

Lambert180 Check        
archwiz28 Check        
River

• J

Lambert180 Bet   £1.25 £2.01 £11.28
archwiz28 Call   £1.25 £3.26 £10.17
Lambert180 Show
  • Q

archwiz28 Muck
  • K

Lambert180 Win Flush to the Ace £3.01   £14.29

Comments

• edited June 2012
    I would lead flop, bet turn and  river around 3/4.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL Hand - lost value on turn?:
    I would lead flop, bet turn and  river around 3/4.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    You don't think that's gonna scare off alot of hands? seen as I hold 2 hearts and the 2nd nut flush heart
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL Hand - lost value on turn? : You don't think that's gonna scare off alot of hands? seen as I hold 2 hearts and the 2nd nut flush heart
    Posted by Lambert180
    Not really. So rare people like to believe you've flopped a flush, and most will likely think you have a heart. Not to mention you don't know if the guy has king of hearts in his hand, and so I'd rather bet and get some value in than give cheap cards to people. Yeah you might scare him off, but I doubt he credits you with an ace often with no preflop raise.. etc.

Just bet when you have hand and see if you get action. Beats not betting and missign value when they do have one.
  • edited June 2012
    I'm not sure about completing the SB, Q8 isn't a hand I want to be playing out of position. It's pretty, but I think a fold pre is better, or maybe raise to punish the limper. Calling is the worst of the 3 options IMO. 

As played, I'm looking to get as much money as I can in with this hand, unless another heart comes, and even then, it's tough to get away from the second nuts. When you flop a big hand, you need to get as much value as you can, and you do that by betting all three streets. 

It's a limped pot, it's not like someone is going to cbet because nobody has the pre-flop aggression, so lead out, and go big as someone with the King of Hearts is going to call us, someone with a made hand is unlikely to believe we've got a flush and put us on a semi-bluff with one heart.

This is arguably the nut best turn card for you to get even more value from. Never, ever check the turn. If he's got either the King or Jack of Hearts, the other card in his hand is likely to have hit that board, and it's possible that the opponent may choose to semi-bluff raise a one pair hand with either the King or the Jack of Hearts as possible outs, hands like J9 with either the 9 or J or hearts might raise, KJ will raise, QT will raise, so it's quite possible to get stacks in on the turn against a ton of hands which we have absolutely crushed.

River bet is fine. 
  • edited June 2012
    I think it's best to lead this flop. Since it's a limped pot we can't expect anyone to bet behind us if we check. If we bet, anyone holding an Ace is likely to continue in the hand as is anyone holding a decent heart. In fact, if someone's holding an Ace here they may raise in an effort to charge you to draw if you have one heart yourself. They're very unlikely to think you have a big Ace, since you didn't raise pre-flop and obviously a flopped flush is unlikely, so anyone holding an Ace could easily think they have the best hand.

Granted, alot of the time you'll lead out on this flop and everyone will just fold. You won't get any money in by checking either, though, and a hand that might call a bet on the flop might not call a bet on a later street if scare cards come or they miss their own flush draw. Do your own betting here, I think.
  • edited June 2012
    raise or fold pre, don't complete, when you complete you more then likely c/f everytime you miss (the majority of the time)

as played, lead flop, lead turn, overbet river.
  • edited June 2012
    raise or fold pre, don't complete, when you complete you more then likely c/f everytime you miss (the majority of the time) as played, lead flop, lead turn, overbet river.
    Posted by NColley
    I'm not saying you're wrong, it's a genuine question because I'm quite unexperienced at cash, apart from the mindless waiting for big hands at 4NL but...

Dya think there is 100% no room for ever making up in these spots? If it costs me 5p to make up, say I only hit my lovely flops, 2pr, trips, flushes, FDs, str8s etc 1 in 50 times, that means on the 1 time I do hit my dream flop, I only need to win a £2.50 (25BB) pot to make up for the 49 x 5ps I've lost when I c/f.

Is this a terrible thought process?

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL Hand - lost value on turn? : I'm not saying you're wrong, it's a genuine question because I'm quite unexperienced at cash, apart from the mindless waiting for big hands at 4NL but... Dya think there is 100% no room for ever making up in these spots? If it costs me 5p to make up, say I only hit my lovely flops, 2pr, trips, flushes, FDs, str8s etc 1 in 50 times, that means on the 1 time I do hit my dream flop, I only need to win a £2.50 (25BB) pot to make up for the 49 x 5ps I've lost when I c/f. Is this a terrible thought process?
    Posted by Lambert180
    You'll need to be confident of turning a 3BB pot into a 25 BB pot every time you do hit that 1/50 shot. That won't happen very often, as most of those times the other limpers won't have made a strong enough hand to build that pot. Plus, since you're playing out of position you'll find it even harder to get value when you do hit your hand. You'll really struggle to average a 25BB pot in these situations. (I'm not backing up your 1/50 or 1/25 numbers here. Truth is I'd have no idea what numbers to put on combined two-pair, flush, straight, trips, etc.)
  • edited June 2012
    Rare circumstances like when a player in the BB raises limpers too much or is 3betting you alot then you can limp and trap him with big hands.

Otherwise in the SB I'd stick to raising a strong top pair/good kicker heavy range vs limpers/loose BB's, a tight range when facing an open and raising almost any 2 unopened vs tight BB's.
  • edited June 2012
    bet bet bet if they call on flop they call on turn simples gotta get max valuse from ya good hands :)
  • edited June 2012
    They didn't call on the flop, they bet lol, but I get what ya mean.
  • edited June 2012
    donk lead every street :)