You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horrid river/decision vs wacko

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
What are we doing here vs wacko then?

Most know hes capable of shoving with air, but do you call here???

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceW_MerkillSmall blind £0.10£0.10£29.34igor1966Big blind £0.20£0.30£21.25 Your hole cards99   kcuddedooFold    donkeyplopRaise £0.60£0.90£45.35SILKY1978Fold    Wacko90Call £0.60£1.50£17.32W_MerkillFold    igor1966Fold    Flop  493   donkeyplopBet £1.13£2.63£44.22Wacko90Call £1.13£3.76£16.19Turn  7   donkeyplopBet £1.88£5.64£42.34Wacko90Call £1.88£7.52£14.31River  6   donkeyplopCheck    Wacko90All-in £14.31£21.83£0.00donkeyplopFold   

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Ps looking back the rivers a great bluffing card for him but meh I still cant find a call.
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah this is a tough spot, but would like to know your reads on him, as clearly you know him and I have never played him.

To be honest I'd really be tempted to call this. I mean what is he really shoving with here? Straight is pretty unlikely I'd say unless his range includes 56, which it may. Can't see him with 55 and calling flop and turn, and so really only hand I can seem him having that beats you most times is the flush. And are you really shoving the flush? I mean what would you expect to be called by? Seems a bit dubious to me unless I've seen him over shoving with the nuts before I'm inclined to think this is a bluff. Not sure what with, but its either a really weird play with a flush hoping for a call, which is odd to do when its checked to you, as a call is not overly likely. So if a flush I'd have expected more of a value bet that might get called.

Still thats my thoughts, though really struggling to think what hand he calls flop and turn with to still be in there to bluff shove the river. So my read is flush or bluff, and I don't really agree the river is overly great bluff card, as is he really going all this way with a 5? Doubtful I think. So if call or fold I'd like more info on him as to if he does this often with the nuts too.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid river/decision vs wacko:
    Yeah this is a tough spot, but would like to know your reads on him, as clearly you know him and I have never played him. To be honest I'd really be tempted to call this. I mean what is he really shoving with here? Straight is pretty unlikely I'd say unless his range includes 56, which it may. Can't see him with 55 and calling flop and turn, and so really only hand I can seem him having that beats you most times is the flush. And are you really shoving the flush? I mean what would you expect to be called by? Seems a bit dubious to me unless I've seen him over shoving with the nuts before I'm inclined to think this is a bluff. Not sure what with, but its either a really weird play with a flush hoping for a call, which is odd to do when its checked to you, as a call is not overly likely. So if a flush I'd have expected more of a value bet that might get called. Still thats my thoughts, though really struggling to think what hand he calls flop and turn with to still be in there to bluff shove the river. So my read is flush or bluff, and I don't really agree the river is overly great bluff card, as is he really going all this way with a 5? Doubtful I think. So if call or fold I'd like more info on him as to if he does this often with the nuts too.
    Posted by KAM99
    Hes pretty well known by being very aggro at mtts. I think hes won 2 primos.

He does play tighter in cash though.

I thought the same that he either had nothing or the nuts!

Would love to know what he had.
  • edited June 2012
    hes got a flush.... gf i think
  • edited June 2012
    I concur that a flush is most likely here. (Since it's Wacko)

Got to point out that your bet on the turn, being so much smaller proportionally than your bet on the flop, looks very scared of the flush. Then checking the river makes you look extremely afraid. That makes it alot harder to distinguish a bluff from a value shove here.

Wacko's a good player so it could easily be either. I think you've got to go with your read, so the fold's fine.

Bet proportionally the same on the turn as you had on the flop, then bet the river and you'd probably avoid such a difficult decision.
  • edited June 2012
    Urgh this is horrible, but folding top set is sometimes alrite.
    Why not bet fold the river? checking just shows so much weakness so i think he could be doing this with alot wider range than just a flush.
  • edited June 2012
    Urgh this is horrible, but folding top set is sometimes alrite. Why not bet fold the river? checking just shows so much weakness so i think he could be doing this with alot wider range than just a flush.
    Posted by BigHawk89

+1
  • edited June 2012
    Urgh this is horrible, but folding top set is sometimes alrite. Why not bet fold the river? checking just shows so much weakness so i think he could be doing this with alot wider range than just a flush.
    Posted by BigHawk89
    I was planning on check calling a bet I thought would be 3/4 pot at most, but I was wrong!
  • edited June 2012
    More I look at this hand the more I think its a bluff or semi bluff with a hand like 88 or 1010. I mean sure its possible he is shoving the flush or straight, but I find the straight unlikely given to really have it he'd have to have called with 45, which maybe possible I guess. Either way straight or flush why shove? You get checked to and normally that means someone really not confident of the board enough to bet out, and understandable given the board.

Hell, maybe he does have the flush, but without reads of him liking to make a shove like this with the nuts when he is only ever getting paid off by a signifcantly strong hand on this board I don't see it. He must have "something" i'd think to call twice, but the shove just gives me that nagging feeling at the base of my spine that says he is at it.

So think I'm more in with the B/F crowd above, but as played I think I may a hero call and either look awesome or look like a fricking fish, but just not sure I buy the shove in this spot over a value bet if he really had it.

P.S good clinc hand, and great shove if it was a bluff, as it is a horrible spot.
  • edited June 2012
  • edited June 2012
    Just one thing say I bet river surely only hands that crush me call or raise?

I was hoping to catch a bluff by check calling, it was just the size of bet that stopped me. ( i was snap calling anything under a pot sized bet)

Is this wrong/bad then?
  • edited June 2012

Think if your c/c to catch bluffs because you think oppo will bluff this spot then call no matter the amount

Still think bet for value on river, because you get called by worse -

I don't think oppo is bluffing here tbh, but still calls our value bet on river with hands that you beat

Struggling to put oppo on a hand that calls two streets and bluffs river
  • edited June 2012

I think the check on the river is fine, ONLY if your plan is to snap call any bet.
    I haven't played this player before but from what I gather he is a good, capable reg.
    IMO you should call his river bet as it's so polarized. As his range is polarized, I think this allows him to shove with worse than a set of 99's (lower sets, 2 pair hands) for value. 

I'm gonna say you called and he flipped over the A2 diamonds. 

Meh he had it didn't he?    

• edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Horrid river/decision vs wacko:
    I'm gonna say you called and he flipped over the A2 diamonds.    
    Posted by Curt360x27

I reckon 56.
  • edited June 2012
    I think the check on the river is fine, ONLY if your plan is to snap call any bet. I haven't played this player before but from what I gather he is a good, capable reg. IMO you should call his river bet as it's so polarized. As his range is polarized, I think this allows him to shove with worse than a set of 99's (lower sets, 2 pair hands) for value.  I'm gonna say you called and he flipped over the A2 diamonds.  Meh he had it didn't he?    
    Posted by Curt360x27
    No I folded because I'm nitty, come on wacko what did you have........
  • edited June 2012
    I think this hand is based on far more than just the cards on the table, as you well know he is an aggro player but also know he has a good game therefore he prob knows you have respect for his bets. I would therefore conclude that he knows you know he is a good player so the perfect bluffing card came and he is getting you off every hand but a flush or nut str8! So if you can think through all of this by the time the timebar runs down it is a call IMO however as played you lost the minimum if he has top set beat!!! You should def be bet folding this river as your going to stop him bluffing you alot and he may only call the str8 allowing showdown cheap and there are smaller sets and two pair hands that you can still get value from!
  • edited June 2012
    I think this hand is based on far more than just the cards on the table, as you well know he is an aggro player but also know he has a good game therefore he prob knows you have respect for his bets. I would therefore conclude that he knows you know he is a good player so the perfect bluffing card came and he is getting you off every hand but a flush or nut str8! So if you can think through all of this by the time the timebar runs down it is a call IMO however as played you lost the minimum if he has top set beat!!! You should def be bet folding this river as your going to stop him bluffing you alot and he may only call the str8 allowing showdown cheap and there are smaller sets and two pair hands that you can still get value from!
    Posted by Batkin88
    Long time no see battykins.

I had izzysteer on my table too today. Like busses.................
  • edited June 2012
    i probably bet fold river.

but dont mind how you played it, good fold.   I rekon he had a 4 spades.

EDIT .  actually very slim chance he had this ^^
  • edited June 2012
    i probably bet fold river. but dont mind how you played it, good fold.   I rekon he had a 4 spades. EDIT .  actually very slim chance he had this ^^
    Posted by 1267
    Sarcasm ftw.

Maybe it was a tight fold but sometimes you have to go with your gut.......................
  • edited June 2012
    is any 1 checking the turn here for pot control ? but as played yeah deffo bet fold 
  • edited June 2012
    is any 1 checking the turn here for pot control ? but as played yeah deffo bet fold 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I don't think so as you can't always think, sigh they have hit flush, but by river I was losing to pos flush and straight..................
  • edited July 2012