You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10NL - Thoughts?

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I know A6o aint a great hand but opening my range a bit from the button (this could be too wide, you tell me).

Correct to bet flop, check the turn and fold river?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
skymac47 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £10.28
Askull Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £6.79
  Your hole cards
  • A

archwiz28 Fold        
rancid Fold        
EvilPingu Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £13.24
skymac47 Fold        
Askull Call   £0.20 £0.65 £6.59
Flop

• J

Askull Check        
Lambert180 Bet   £0.40 £1.05 £12.84
Askull Call   £0.40 £1.45 £6.19
Turn

• Q

Askull Check        
Lambert180 Check        
River

Askull Bet   £1.09 £2.54 £5.10
Lambert180 Fold        
Askull Muck        
Askull Win   £1.34   £6.44
Askull Return   £1.09 £0.11 £7.53

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Yeah I don't mind opening with A6 on the button when folded to, as you likely ahead of the blinds most of the time, though might depend a little how loose the people on my left are to some degree. No harm either in cbet, as I cbet most flops unless I think its a bit wet across a callers likely range and I've missed. In this case its a good flop to Cbet as you've connected, and unless he has hit something it will be hard for him to call really and you don't really mind taking it down there with your hand. When he calls of course check back the turn as you've not improved and he seems to have something, so take the free card. On the river his lead out most of the time means you're beat, and so fold is fine too.
  • edited June 2012
    You've posted two hands featuring me and in both of them, I folded pre flop. My image is destroyed :(

Opening A6o is fine on the button.

There's an argument for checking back the flop, considering we have showdown value with a pair of 6s, but we're not going to get called by worse very often. However, the opponent will have missed a lot of the time and will just fold, we take down the pot, whereas by checking, we allow a potentially dangerous card to come on the turn which means we go behind or get pushed off the pot, and we've only got ourselves to blame for not betting the flop. I think a check back or a c-bet is fine tbh, I prefer to c-bet.

Considering we've c-bet the flop, should we be barreling this turn? It's a tough one, and it's dependant on our reads on the villain. As far as turn cards go, this isn't a bad one to fire a second barrel on - Any overcard is always going to be scary. I think that readless, it's probably better to check back the turn, although against some opponents, I'd be betting here.

On one hand, when our opponent checks to us, by firing a second barrel, we're basically turning our hand into a bluff, and we may actually be bluffing with the best hand sometimes if the opponent has called our flop bet with just a pair of 6s, so possibly suited connectors and gap suited connectors with a 6 in them, if those are in his range. 

It's also quite likely that he's got a Jack, and in that case, I think you're unlikely going to get rid of your opponent on the turn. It'll probably take a third barrel on the river, and even then, he may get stubborn and not want to fold, so if the villain is likely to call 2 streets with a hand like J9, or if he's going to be reluctant to throw away his Pocket 8s, I would be checking back the turn, hoping it goes check/check on the river and my pair of 6s is the best hand.

On the other hand, if he's the sort of player that is going to be petrified every time an overcard comes on the flop, this is a great card to barrel. Whilst, of course, an Ace or King would be a better card to barrel on the turn, we can still barrel when the turn is a Queen sometimes, it's an overcard to the flop and therefore, a good card to barrel. You can be raising a wide range of Qx hands on the button which would cbet the flop, so the story makes sense.

As played, river is a standard check/fold. Overall, nothing wrong with this hand really, we could possibly barrel the turn but it's not a mistake to just check back either, depends on the opponent.
  • edited June 2012
    You can open any two there.
  • edited June 2012
    A6 o/ s is fine, c-bet flop is fine but I think you should barrel turn here as he could easily have called the c-bet with hands like 67 68 56 46 A6 JT J9 J8 JQ and your getting him off the majority of them by betting again. I would expect a raise from raggy jacks on that flop aswell.
  • edited June 2012
    played fine all of it wp 
  • edited July 2012
  • edited July 2012
    Grantorino, if I check flop, what do you do on the turn? Fold if he leads out or check again if he doesn't?

Just seems a bit passive and is letting so many hands catch up for free.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL - Thoughts?:
    Grantorino, if I check flop, what do you do on the turn? Fold if he leads out or check again if he doesn't? Just seems a bit passive and is letting so many hands catch up for free.
    Posted by Lambert180

if you bet what calls, you want folds
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL - Thoughts?:
    Grantorino, if I check flop, what do you do on the turn? Fold if he leads out or check again if he doesn't? Just seems a bit passive and is letting so many hands catch up for free.
    Posted by Lambert180

Betting flop is good I think, to protect your hand. You dont want him to catch up for free.

I prob bet around 80 on turn, if he calls I hope to check check river.
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah I do want folds, or at least don't mind them, hence the c-bet. Once he calls the flop I can only imagine he has a minimum of Jx or a PP bigger than 66 so I gave up.