You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10NL - Too Tight?

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Is this an easy fold? I felt like it was a bit tight, but didn't wanna flat OOP, but also didn't really wanna 5bet and potentially be playing for stacks with AJs
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
EvilPingu Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £9.45
Lambert180 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £12.89
united19_p Sit out        
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

skymac47 Fold        
archwiz28 Fold        
rancid Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £15.61
EvilPingu Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £11.99
rancid Raise   £2.80 £4.15 £12.81
Lambert180 Fold        
rancid Muck        
rancid Win   £2.05   £14.86
rancid Return   £2.10 £0.00 £16.96

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Generally speaking its an easy fold, as AJ players terribly against a 4bet range of hands, and more so OOP. Obviously might depends on how active and how light you can see someone on the button, but I would think rancid isn't light here that often.

Do sometimes get level games between button and the blinds, where the blinds don't believe the button, and the button don't believe the blinds are going to need to be that strong either. Still think more often thats at higher levels you get those type of meta game moments. :)
  • edited June 2012
    fold is fine yopu are dominated or behind most likely and to continue oop would be very tricky against a capable oppanant like rancid he is not going to give you a cheap run to the river
  • edited June 2012
    You can defend this with just a flat of the intial raise since its a HU pot and BTN vs BB.

When you 3 bet you have to be confident villian is going to call with worse hands.

Fold to 4bet is standard, would of flatted intial raise myself.
  • edited June 2012
    just fold makes my life easier )
  • edited June 2012
    If you are 5-betting here then it's going to be a 5-bet shove so you are effectivly turning you hand into a bluff since AJ is not a hand that you expect to be ahead with (or even flipping) against a standard 4-bet range. Rancid being a competant player (I've not played him much but I know his name and he's a forum reg and plays NL10 a lot) will have already decided if he is 4-betting to fold or 4-betting to go all in. If you call here then most likely he will shove the flop, you generally can't call 4-bets profitably, especially out of possition. If you think rancid is 4-bet bluffing then go for the 5-bet shove. However I think you need a serious amount of meta-game with the villian before it makes it worthwhile. Sure, you look cool if you 5-bet here and take it down pre-flop. But most times I think rancid with have QQ+/AK and you will lose a stack.
  • edited June 2012
    Choose a table with easier opponents.
  • edited June 2012
    against rancid its easy fold he hardly ever 4 bets light :)
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: 10NL - Too Tight?:
    against rancid its easy fold he hardly ever 4 bets light :)
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    You know you're going to get 4bet every hand from now on by Rancid, right? ;)
  • edited June 2012
    i dont play rancid that much well dnt play cash that much seem to be doing ok on mtts of late so i stick to that bet small win big :)
  • edited June 2012

levels, lolz!

just flatting the btn raise here is better, kinda like 3 betting for info )

Even if I flat your 3 bet ip, your in a world of pain unless you donk for info )

Either way your just getting info you don't want, and if you do want an answer you like then 5 bet shove !

• edited June 2012
    I was hoping you'd reply here Rancid... but was hoping for something a bit less riddle-like lol.
  • edited June 2012
    I was hoping you'd reply here Rancid... but was hoping for something a bit less riddle-like lol.
    Posted by Lambert180
    basically 5 bet or fold )

if you think your ahead of btn range then do we 5 bet or call

why are you 3 betting ? For btn to fold better or call with worse -

if btn flats your 3 bet, how do you feel about that :S

If btn has better then shoud btn flat :S

• edited June 2012
    Well yeah I think it was a mistake 3betting OOP here really, nothing better is ever gonna fold, and I'm either gonna make worse hands fold or allow them to bluff me off pre. I do think you call IP with some worse hands but still probably just flatting is better.

Obviously I'm miles ahead of the range you open the button with. In that spot, I didn't mind you flatting my 3bet cos I knew you'd do that with much worse than AJs cos you have position.

From now on I'll just rejam all in with 36s
  • edited June 2012
    Flat the button raise initially. Fold after the 4bet AA/KK/QQ all day of the week. Fact.
  • edited June 2012
    3 bet is good and probably the best way to play the hand as your out of posistion and taking the betting lead I am suprised so many warrant a call here being the better play. Maybe thats down to the level it being played at. As played yes it's a standard fold but your losing the min and over the long run your picking up more money pre with no flop so you can afford to fold these here.
    For the record I wouldn't recommend sitting with a solid reg on your button at NL10 there are so many tables find a diff seat
  • edited July 2012
  • edited July 2012
    no problem at all with 3bet pre...really dont get people who says u shud flat it.
  • edited July 2012
    I prefer flatting here most of the time, but as you opt to 3bet you pretty much have to fold.
  • edited July 2012
    Flat the button raise initially. Fold after the 4bet AA/KK/QQ all day of the week. Fact.
    Posted by Swog
    Depends on the dynamic between him and Rancid. I have had some very intresting hands against him myself during my time at nl10
  • edited July 2012
    If you are going to 3bet oop, maybe make it a little bigger than 3x, You probably won't get 4 bet light as much with these stacks as his 4bet would likely not allow him FE.

Also you don't want to price him in to calling with such a wide range here IP.

So I like the flat..