You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The math of spewing

Sorry mate, I really tried.

I lost it somewhere after O.K.!

I think I get the idea, but will try and have a proper read when I have the house to myself.

I tend not to bluff too often, and only if I sense real fear from my opponent over the texture of the board. Perhaps I need to bluff a little more to get my ROI up a little as my account has stalled somewhat in the last 2 weeks.

But I suppose everyone has these sort of weeks every now and then.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    OK, so, sup - thought i'd just give a little insight into the math of spewing (obviously) and show that it's fine to not take standard lines in some spots. I'll probably also do a little bit on bet-sizing aswell. Theres going to be a little bit of boring math but it's somewhat simple.

OK, so you claculate bluffing equity via the following equasion.

(pot before bluff)*(% Fold)-(Amount risked)*(1-%fold)

Do give a backdrop to demonstrate this, I'm going to take a pretty standard bluff raise spot from a $30 HU SnG I played today.

PokerStars Game #35423352083: Tournament #213047541, $30.00+$1.50 USD Hold'em No Limit - Match Round I, Level I (10/20) - 2009/11/16 8:55:21 WET [2009/11/16 3:55:21 ET]
    Table '213047541 1' 2-max Seat #1 is the button
    Seat 1: 2Wisdomy (1320 in chips)
    Seat 2: Smiley9999 (1680 in chips)
    2Wisdomy: posts small blind 10
    Smiley9999: posts big blind 20
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to 2Wisdomy [Qc 4h]
    2Wisdomy: raises 40 to 60
    Smiley9999: calls 40
    *** FLOP *** [7s Ts 2h]
    Smiley9999: checks
    2Wisdomy: bets 80
    Smiley9999: calls 80
    *** TURN *** [7s Ts 2h] [8h]
    Smiley9999: checks
    2Wisdomy: checks
    *** RIVER *** [7s Ts 2h 8h] [6c]
    Smiley9999: bets 160
    2Wisdomy: raises 240 to 400
    Smiley9999: folds

So

If we put every flush draw that he defends with in his river range, as well as 2p & 1p hands that he bets as a blocker and some set hands that he bet/folds for value.

so like As8s-As2s, Ks9s-K2s, Qs9s-Qs5s, Js9s-Js5s, 9s6s, 8s6s & 8s5s and like 6s5s, 5s4s, 22, All T7, T8, 87 combo's, and like T9, 97, J9, 98, maybe 96.

So 100% of his range is 111 hands, and he folds 66 of them.

So to convert fractions to percentage we divide the top of the fraction by the bottom and multiply by 100.

66/111 x 100 = 59.4% fold

So

(440)*(.594)-(400)*(.406) =
    261.36 - 162.4 =
    t99 chips (rounded).

This means that we make 99 chips in equity every time we make this play.

You obviously dont have to calc ENTIRE ranges every time you calculate, BUT, you can mess around with the amount risked to see how often you have to get villain to fold to make raises profitable.

In this spot, If I had been like "Blah he can't call w/o a nine and his range is wide so i'll raise big, get him to fold", then, I might have seriously affected my equity, without affecting his % Fold

Lets say I had raised to 750

(440)*(.594)-(750)*(.406) =
    261.36 - 304.5 =
    -t43 chips (rounded).

So now we see how important sizing is when making even the most standard bluff raises.

Hope you all learned a little something and are not now bored to the point that you have begun to weep gently.

Bon' Chance
  • edited November 2009
    yeah, it does look a bit scary, but if you actually look at what the fomula is asking for, its kind of straight forward if you just take it step by step.

It would probably be worth learning how to use it.
  • edited November 2009
    This is one area where expert players do rely on 'feel' and tend to just get it right. I doubt very much if Doyle Brunson knows the formula above.

But using the example above, many good players would 'feel' that the raise to 400 was about right as a bluff. The min raise would get called too often, the 750 raise would cost too much when it got called, the 400 just 'feels right'.

It's 10,000 hard hours of experience which has shown them that 400 tends to work best in that situation. A brief understanding of the mathematics can save you a lot of time!

• edited November 2009
    I tend to rely on feelings in placing a bluff.

Too little gets called, too much can be seen as a blatant bluff, which can get through more often than not, but when it's called will cost you the tournament you are in.

Also, if you place the size of the bluff the same as what you would expect to bet should you have hit the hand, it is one of the best disguises.
  • edited November 2009
    Nice post LF, had to read the equation through a few times but the whole thing made sense so good job there.

In summary:

1. The subtle differences in betsizing can make big differences in the long term.

2. Bet too small and your opponent wont budge as he's priced in and he calls your air too often;

3. Bet too large and you will lose too many chips on the times that you get called compared to the times your villain folds.
  • edited November 2009
    deadluck, what stakes do you play?
  • edited November 2009
    Lady, u r 1 complicated dude lol
  • edited November 2009
    to confusing for me
  • edited November 2009
    Nicely put LF - I would say that anyone on Sky who wants to these kind of plays out and how to analyse them, you have to really be playing on sites with timebanks. 

Here we have 15 sec clock and when mulit-tabling it is near impossible to make these kind of decisions.  Although the more you play with someone the more in-tune you get to their ranges so it does help.

But yeah try it out on another site guys, theres some really good 180 man SnGs on the 2 'big' sites that are a very good place to learn.

I take it that HU is your format of choice? 
  • edited November 2009
    LF:

I can't even beat the micros. I am sure I can, I probably need to invest in some coaching or get some proper  sweat sessions going though to assist me in laying down hands where I am beat alot but refuse to believe the villain. Took some shots at NL10 recently, ran $260 below my EV, blew my entire bankroll practically. Got a really pretty graph somewhere.

Why am i ranting. No1 cares. St*u matt. To answer your question, I play micros online and live I play in £10 freezeouts, or whatever me/my friends feel like. Got a very friendly poker club quite nearby so its always a fun and relatively cheap night out.
  • edited November 2009
    You seem to have a very good thought process plus you are honest with yourself.

Personally I think coaching is not needed at 10nl.  What is needed is to play tonnes and tonnes of hands.  Just hammer them thru.  Try and get 300$ aside and play like a nit, making sure to take most advantage of rakeback/bonuses too cos at that level they make the world of difference.  I would recommend Party if you are looking for a new site, their bonus schemes are usually good and the software is decent too, with a lot of traffic + European user base.

One thing I would say tho is that maybe you are overcomplicating 10nl.  For that level ABC poker and the ability to hammer out a bunch of hands will always prevail.

Good luck.
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the support.

I will keep hammering, as long as I'm using some decent BRM i'm never spending out of my means so volume's not much of an issue. One thing I do find difficult to gauge is that SkyPoker micros are a *ridiculously* low standard, thus I find its actually harder to isolate people with big hands than any other site, and placing people on hands is even harder. I know I can demolish 90% of the players at the SkyNL4, I just need a bit of variance to hit me with an upswing.

If either of you (scotty/LF) have ventrilo, I would love to have a session spectating your play and hearing your lines as you make them.

Keep up the good work LF... and keep crushing those master cash tables scotty!
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, I don't really know how to set vent. up, but I got some friends who have it so i'm sure they could help.

Also if you'd like I would be willing to stake you @ 10NL for like 20 buy-in's on a site /w good rakeback like cake, if you'd be interested.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The math of spewing:
    I take it that HU is your format of choice? 
    Posted by scotty77
    I guess so, but only because people are getting a bit better at 6m but are still terrible @ HU for the most part.

• edited November 2009
    Check your inbox LF :)

Btw; my NL4 graph from Cake before i spewed my BR there to ~ $40

http://www.msoutham.plus.com/poker/10knl4.jpg
  • edited November 2009
    cake is an excellent site.  i think i read that their gutshot skin had a slightly better bonus scheme tho.

also the best thing about cake is you can change your alias!!
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: The math of spewing:
    cake is an excellent site.  i think i read that their gutshot skin had a slightly better bonus scheme tho. also the best thing about cake is you can change your alias!!
    Posted by scotty77
    I was on Cake before I came across here.

Used to play the $24 turbo SnG's.

Used to like it but then it took me an effing age to make a withdrawal from it. Donked off a fair whack of my profits before I eventually got clearance to take my monies.