You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Head up in a 5.50 velocity is this a call on the river

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
He is tight aggresive player twokingsSmall blind 1000.001000.0048840.00IDONKCALLUBig blind 2000.003000.0035160.00 Your hole cards2K   twokingsCall 1000.004000.0047840.00IDONKCALLUCheck    Flop  J75   IDONKCALLUCheck    twokingsCheck    Turn  K   IDONKCALLUCheck    twokingsBet 2000.006000.0045840.00IDONKCALLUCall 2000.008000.0033160.00River  9   IDONKCALLUCheck 

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Depends what he bets i guess......................
  • edited June 2012
    oh yeah i didnt put that in he bet 8 k so full pot 
  • edited June 2012
    I know this sounds a bit aggro but I think you should have raised pre-flop and definitely bet out on the turn.

Raise pre-flop as A) your hand is better than average and B) his limp is pretty weak. If he calls, it's a simple c-bet on the flop to take down a hefty pot and he'll miss the flop most of the time.

Bet the turn because your hand now should be best and you need to start looking for value. Checking just gives him a free card to look for some sort of draw and then fold if he misses, without paying you off. He'll call a bet with any pair after you checked the flop and by betting you're protecting your hand as well as defining your opponent's range a bit more.

On the river I can't give an answer. I wouldn't think he'd bet full-pot with worse than K2 here, considering how short you both are, but you haven't defined his hand at all. He could be bluffing... or not.
  • edited June 2012
    I have to agree with Borin here to some degree, though I would love some reads on the guy as to how he was playing from position. The reason I say this is because his line is rather strange, and to me this would mean he is either bluffing on the river or he was trying to trap pre-flop.

My reasons for thinking this are that if he had a flush draw he would have bet on the flop to build a pot I would think and likewise if he had paired the board. So when he bets on the turn I have to wonder if he's just trying to steal the pot, because surely if he had a king he would have raised pre-flop unless as I said he was trapping with something like ace king. When you check to him on the river his pot size bet could easily be seen as someone betting strong when their weak.

My reason for agreeing with, Borin, is that you have made life awkward for yourself in knowing what sort of hand he has. I'm not sure if you checked on the turn to induce a bluff instead of leading out, but if this is the case then I think you do have to call the river, as I would be quite surprised to see a flush if I called. I could see him may be having K9 perhaps, but again I would have expected more of a value bet than a pot sized one after you checked.

I guess I could be wrong and I would have played it a bit differently myself because it does make the river call a little more difficult, and more so with no reads on how he would play a flush draw etc.
  • edited June 2012
    this guy was limping alot in heads up but whenever i raised he would call and i didnt feel comftable playing k 2 out of position i know what u mean u can raise with k 2 and if nothing hits lead out on a airball but i could lose so many chips like this and i felt at the time i could grind this guy down my edge is post flop i dnt like to gamble to win it 
  • edited June 2012
    I don't mind just checking the BB at all, checking the flop is fine. I probably lead out on the turn, he'll probably call with worse hands than TP when it's HU but if he folds it's not the end of the world.

By the river he could have absolutely anything because he's limped and you've not put a single bet, so can't be that sure of his strength. I probably bet about 1/2 pot because you can still get called by worse, if you get raised you can fold easily.