You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

10NL - Floating The Flop?

edited June 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Can I float this flop as I imagine alot of his range has missed and he is gonna c-bet when checked to almost 100% ? And we're both 150BB deep.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceshark11Small blind £0.05£0.05£3.67richteaBig blind £0.10£0.15£9.90 Your hole cards9Q   BOYO27Fold    Lambert180Raise £0.30£0.45£15.83french07Fold    rancidRaise £0.90£1.35£15.32shark11Fold    richteaFold    Lambert180Call £0.60£1.95£15.23Flop  8105   Lambert180Check    rancidBet £1.20£3.15£14.12Lambert180Fold    rancidMuck    rancidWin £1.80 £15.92rancidReturn £1.20£0.15£17.12

Comments

• edited June 2012
    You shouldn't really call the pre-flop 3-bet. Calling with Q9, out of position to a 3-better isn't going to be +ev.

On the flop you've got no hand and no real draw, so just check-fold. Floating out of position is, in my opinion, just another term for spewing. Yeah, he's going to be c-betting here about 100% of the time and he doesn't need to have anything but you have to ask yourself what you're planning to do on the turn and river. Are you going to lead the turn? That's going to look very suspicious after only calling the flop bet. Are you going to check-raise the turn? That looks super strong but you're almost certain to be doing it with total air into an unknown hand that's only shown strength.

Floating is great, with reads, to do in position, so we can see whether our opponent checks the turn before we act and then just take it away from them. Out of position it's just way too gambly, I think.

Folding's easy. Do it here pre-flop, or then on the flop. I probably wouldn't even open with Q9 suited unless I was on the button, to be honest.
  • edited June 2012
    Firstly, I don't think I would be opening with Q9 from this position, even suited. You have to remember that an average hand in poker is Q7, and so you are opening with a fairly weak hand. I would certainly open raise this hand from the button, and maybe from CO postion. However, it is definitely a hand that you should muck if re-raised, as it will not play well against most hands that you will be re-raised with and certainly when out of position.

As played: on the flop you only have a gut shot draw and one over card, which you don't even know is good. This could mean that you are only drawing to your gut shot. Obviously you have horrible odds for this, and so I would not recommend this is a hand to reverse float. If I was in position I might well consider floating with his hand and this board, but the fact is that if the turn card does not improve our hand we will be forced to check and probably face another bet.

The reason why it would not be so bad in position is obviously even if you miss on the turn you may improve to the back door flush draw or even have chance to take the hand down if they give up after their initial Cbet.
  • edited June 2012
    I don't think opening is horrible but from the Hijack, meh. Don't love it, don't hate it. Probably slightly better to just fold, but not going to criticise you for raising either, it's quite loose but not a mistake to raise.

Fold to 3bet.
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks everyone, these are pretty much all the same things Dohhhh said to me when I showed him the HH, but he thought I should clinic it, just cos it's been a while since he played cash.

I did kinda know myself (after the event) that it was pretty loose calling the 3bet OOP with Q9s, just getting reassurance.
  • edited June 2012
    Fold preflop

Fold to 3bet preflop.

If you get this far you may as well donkbet half pot on river.
  • edited June 2012
    have to advo - right !
    Could just be a copy & paste level !
    shark11 Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £3.67
    richtea Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £9.90
      Your hole cards

BOYO27 Fold        
    Lambert180 Raise   £0.30 £0.45 £15.83
    french07 Fold        
    rancid Raise   £0.90
  • edited June 2012
    This is why we don't like to play out of position. Nice brag post rancid. ;)
  • edited June 2012
    Guess I'll have to give you less credit in future... or make sure I hit the flop OOP :)