You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

20NL Action table - Did I play this hand okay?

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Thoughts? Think I played this kinda bad. I'm happy with my 3bet pre and the sizing of my river bet as played, but think I made a mistake by checking the turn.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
liamwafcSmall blind £0.20£0.20£8.21
SJspanky1Big blind £0.20£0.40£19.20
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • A

mymumFold    
EzzyMoneyRaise £0.80£1.20£17.73
EvilPinguRaise £2.60£3.80£18.09
liamwafcFold    
SJspanky1Call £2.40£6.20£16.80
EzzyMoneyFold    
Flop

• Q
  • A

SJspanky1Check    
EvilPinguCheck    
Turn

SJspanky1Check    
EvilPinguCheck    
River

SJspanky1Check    
EvilPinguBet £4.80£11.00£13.29
SJspanky1Call £4.80£15.80£12.00
EvilPinguShow
  • A
  • A

SJspanky1Muck
  • Q
  • K

EvilPinguWinFull House, Aces and 6s£15.01 £28.30

Comments

• edited June 2012
    You will cbet flop with all of your air right?, so why not cbet half pot when you hit?.

I know theres not much he can have to call with. But cbetting flop can look just as weak to him as checking.

Then you have the option to check turn, looking like you gave up, or continue.

As played, I would bet turn.

Tempting to slow play in these situations, but you are better off just betting every street in my opinion. A lot of the time you will just take it down on flop, but you wont win much more by checking anyway most of the time. Just maximizes your profit when he does continue and you play fo stacks.
  • edited June 2012
    I'd check back flop, lead turn. 
  • edited June 2012
    tbh i dont like the way u have played it i would c-bet here all of the time like spades said your c-betting here with air aswell so u want to get max value out of your hand basically bet to try n get stacks in 
  • edited June 2012
    I guess this is one of those difficult hands where you can see from the results you might have been able to get a little bit more out of them. And of course it's always difficult when you flop top set with aces, as you know it's very unlikely they have the case ace in most situations..

I think I probably would have tried to get at least two streets of value either by good when betting the flop, checking the turn, and betting the river. Or doing what you did and check the flop, but lead out all the turn, as you do need to try and extract some value of your big hand.

I know some people advocate trying to get value on all three streets, but it is very difficult to do with a set of aces unless your opponent has flopped a big hand as well, and if they have the bound to at some point reraise you.
  • edited June 2012
    3bet pots do strange things to people and even though flop looks like he cant have much, I think there is a lot of hands he could call three bets with.....

Any AK to a2 can call. If he calls you down with hands like a2, hes only really bluff catching, hands like qk, kk, qj, jj, can all call for the same reason......
    But also a lot of hands that hes hit something on flop can improve on turn and river. Not to mention the time he just randomly bluffs with air.

This is especially true if you 3bet a lot. He made a pretty loose call and terrible out of position with kq off which suggests he doesnt think much of your 3bet.
  • edited June 2012
    check flop, thinking our checking range here is ok on this flop
    bet turn & river
  • edited June 2012
    When you check the flop alarm bells are going to be ringing in Spanky's head but I don't have a problem with it. He might think you have a wide range but he's smart enough to know that alot of that wide range is still going to be an Ace. He's very unlikely to call three streets from you. Maybe if you bet the turn he might, maybe, could, possibly call a bet on the river too...

Your best shot to get extra value was probably checking the flop, then betting turn and river. I do think you miss that little bit of value long-term here.

I have some sympathy with the view that if you c-bet every other hand, then you ought to c-bet this one too. I imagine you'd sometimes be checking back your KK, JJ, TT type hands in this spot, though, so I don't think it's a massive problem.
  • edited June 2012
    You got the minimum with top set really. 

Checking back two streets with this hand has to be terrible.

You only end up betting the river, why?

If im sjspanky I have to call the river bet bcause your line makes no sense.
  • edited June 2012
     im gonna be totally honest here.....

when you checked the flop i whispered to myself ...aces

when you checked the turn i said aloud ...aces

when you bet the river....i called......i am a donk

nh sir
  • edited June 2012
    Yeah, I thought I played this bad :o Thanks for the replies :)
  • edited June 2012

C-bet flop it just looks fishy otherwise especially from an aggro player like yourself im suprised he paid you anything after that. However as played you have to check turn as you will prob lose your customer betting the turn when the 9 comes down unless he holds the last ace which is unlikely.(He is never drawing to a flush here no hand makes sense)
    He called your 3 bet pre so if he has hit he is calling and if he hasn't he is fo lding but not many cards can come that are going to make him think he has the best hand if he missed that flop.

• edited July 2012
    Bet flop

As played bet turn