You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Stop n Go

In Response to Stop n Go:
Ok i was playin in a mtt blinds 300/600 i was in mid position and pockets 3's i raised to 1800 and get called by the button. The flop come 2 9 9 and i shove for 6k. My thought was that alot of strong hands would have to fold now AK, AQ, AJ and mid pairs, only an over pair could make the call or a 9 and there was no re raise preflop so AA and KK  unlikly........ unforunatly i got called by jacks and went out. I suppose if you get called your probably behind, but the amount of times u make a hand fold surly outways this. I was wondering what you guys thought of the play and what is a good situation for a stop and go. What things do you have to take into account?
Posted by big_mick12
Hi Mick
You leave out a lot of relavent information, like how many players left, your opponents stack, what type of mtt, your table image, the table dynamics(loose, tight, limping,etc), average chips stack, were you first to act.
on the info youve given, then a 3 times the bb will only get called by a better hand. As i see it your bet was not meant to get a call, if that is true and you, on a board that your weak pair had missed, were willing to go allin then why not push preflop, as the result would have been the same. This is where your opponents chip stack is important, can you get him off the hand with your bet.

col

Comments

• edited June 2009

I am playing a $6, 20 player mtt 5 min blinds (another site) 7 players left. Blinds 300/600 i was in mid position and pockets 3's i raised to 1800 and get called by the button. The flop come 2 9 9 and i shove for 6k.

My opponent was quiet loose and had be showing down junk all game, he had about 8k left. i was 3rd at this point

My thought was that alot of strong hands would have to fold now AK, AQ, AJ and mid pairs, only an over pair could make the call or a 9 and there was no re raise preflop so AA and KK  unlikly........ unforunatly i got called by jacks and went out.

I suppose if you get called your probly behind, but the amount of times u make a hand fold surly outways this.

I was wondering what you guys thought of the play and what is a good situation for a stop and go. What things do you have to take into account?

• edited June 2009
    In Response to Re: Stop n Go:
    In Response to Stop n Go : Hi Mick You leave out a lot of relavent information, like how many players left, your opponents stack, what type of mtt, your table image, the table dynamics(loose, tight, limping,etc), average chips stack, were you first to act.
    Ok ive edited the post above

I was just wondering more about what situation is good for a stop and go... feed back much apprciated
  • edited June 2009
    Firstly I like your reasonng on the flop, but you should not have been there with that much invested. When the blinds get to 300/600 I like raising 2 xBB to 2.5 xBB so somewhere between 1200-1500. Your table image dictates whether this was a good raise. If you playing tight people may off rescpected your bet and folded. But knowing you have a calling station behind you, you should have folded and waited for stronger hand selection.

Stop and Go will work but if you employ this tactic too much players will wise up and call you with a wider hand selection. As with every tactic variation is the key!

Good Luck
    Ipso
  • edited July 2009
    Pretty much agree with Ipso above, make a smaller raise pre so you don't feel obligated to ship it on the flop, but a fold is preferable. Small pocket pairs just don't play well late in a tournament when the blinds are big, they're more effective when the blinds are super small and you have massive implied odds for flopping a set.

On a sidenote, I think your definition of Stop And Go isn't quite correct. A stop-and-go is usually when someone raises, you flat-call the raise from one of the blinds (hence stopping the betting pre-flop) and you then push on any flop ('going' or starting the betting post-flop). Effectively your play was a go-and-go play (lol) because you opened the betting pre, and again post. Hope that makes sense.
  • edited July 2009
    I think playing 3-3 so aggressively from the start was a mistake. Personally, I'd never play a low pair (2s, 3s or 4s) as it can put you in a lot of trouble if you think the board favours you. 2-9-9 on flop looks promising, but you are behind if any of yourc opponents have pocket pair (even 2-2, as it gives him/her full house). As it happened you got called by JJ. If that was me, it's simple: Either fold or go all-in. At that stage of the tournament you have two choices, go for broke or play tight.....
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Stop n Go:
     I am playing a $6, 20 player mtt 5 min blinds (another site) 7 players left. Blinds 300/600 i was in mid position and pockets 3's i raised to 1800 and get called by the button. The flop come 2 9 9 and i shove for 6k.   My opponent was quiet loose and had be showing down junk all game, he had about 8k left. i was 3rd at this point My thought was that alot of strong hands would have to fold now AK, AQ, AJ and mid pairs, only an over pair could make the call or a 9 and there was no re raise preflop so AA and KK  unlikly........ unforunatly i got called by jacks and went out. I suppose if you get called your probly behind, but the amount of times u make a hand fold surly outways this. I was wondering what you guys thought of the play and what is a good situation for a stop and go. What things do you have to take into account?
    Posted by big_mick12
    2 be honest raisin 1.8k we pp 3s is quite agrressive but pp 3s aint to clever as u coulda been drowned by so many over cards even in mid or early possition . every 1 differ's i playin style i no but i woulda limped in n see what flop brought.. so just re reading u got called we JJ so not to be rude the higher pp was there . ie; % on 10 seater there gonna be 2 pp hands out  ..;) ul ..
  • edited July 2009
    Flop play:

You're not going to see many better flops without hitting your set with threes.  I can't argue with the shove as the pot is a decent amount to take down.  Don't be too sure about what you will get called by from a loose player.  AK/AQ could call from a loose player (or KQ, KJ from a very loose player), plus most pocket pairs will look you up from this player.

Pre Flop:  You have 7800 left by the looks of things.  The blinds are 300/600 so you have 13xBB left.  I'm definitely not limping from mid position or raising.  I am shoving or folding in this spot (BTW, if I shove I do not want a call).  Among the things that would affect my decision is how tight the table has been, where is my stack compared to the average stack and compared to those behind me (particularly the blinds) and what are the blinds worth to me in real terms.  If I'm around the average stack I am more than likely passing this hand.  If I'm short I'm probably shoving, depending on other factors at the table.