You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tough Spot

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
ActionCardsAmountPot
SHANKS474 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £19.50
Thoich Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £19.62
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • J

VINEY73 Fold     
mattless Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £18.93
TAXIMATE Call  £0.60 £1.50 £46.09
baileycake Fold     
SHANKS474 Fold     
Thoich Call  £0.40 £1.90 £19.22
Flop

• A
  • J

Thoich Check     
mattless Bet  £1.20 £3.10 £17.73
TAXIMATE Call  £1.20 £4.30 £44.89
Thoich Raise  £3.60 £7.90 £15.62
mattless Raise  £7.55 £15.45 £10.18
TAXIMATE All-in  £44.89 £60.34 £0.00
Thoich All-in  £15.62 £75.96 £0.00
mattless All-in  £10.18 £86.14 £0.00
TAXIMATE Unmatched bet  £26.87 £59.27 £26.87
Thoich Show
  • A
  • J

Hadn't been on the table long so not much information about how opponents have been playing.

Would be very interested in opinions on how I played the hand, and if you guys would have done anything differently?

Not going to reveal my opponents hands yet as it might influence your feedback, will let you know after a few comments.

Thanks

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Also, apologies about headers being wrong at the top of the hand. Should all be one to the right but I cant seem to change it
  • edited June 2012
    Arrrggg, I donk think I can fold.

Obviously one of them could have a set but they could also have flush draws or hands like ak, aq, a4 or pairs with flush draws....

• edited June 2012
    TAXIMATE's line looks like it could be a flush draw (at worst) but I'd be pretty surprised if Mattless doesn't have a set, probably AA or JJ. I'd think that the weakest hand in his range would be AJ but this probably 3-bet shoves on the flop rather than 3-betting small like this.

To be fair, in the heat of the moment I probably don't fold either. I think it would be a really great fold but really difficult too.

I might be wrong about their ranges on this particular hand but I think, generally speaking, this betting pattern is one of very few ways that we can logically put a player on a set and not merely fold out of illogical fear of one.

The only issue is that with pot odds of between 3/1 and 4/1 (if we assume mattless is calling) we only need to have between 25% and 20% chance of winning in this spot in the long-term. I'd expect that if we play this situation a thousand times we won't win it that often, so even with those pot odds I think it's a fold.
  • edited June 2012
    I think i am playing this hand the same as you, although im fairly sure im up against a set from 1 of the the oppos and probably a flush draw kq/k10/q10 diamonds maybe from the other. On a good day i can find a fold but most of the time i am shipping here to.

This would also be read dependant if you have any as some villians will only shove with nuts some with draws ect
  • edited June 2012
    Never fold this readless 100bb deep!!!!!

Like you said you have no information on either opponent, so you don't know what there willing to get all there money in with. Also TAXIMATE can never really have a set of JJ's or AA's as he just flatted the open pre. It is also very hard for Mattless to have them hands as we have both blockers. Really to fold this we would have to be putting one player on a set of 44's.
    Given TAXIMATE's line, we would expect him to raise the flop initially with a set so I think we can say a large % of his range is a flush draw, Ax, Jx. However when the action is back on him his carefree raise all in does look quite strong so its not impossible.
    If any player had a set, I think it would be mattless. His small re raise on the flop looks fairly strong, however we would still need to be nailing his range to 44's to fold. Afterall we are readless, so he could play hands like A4, J4, Ak, AQ and all draws/combo draws like this.

So given the fact we are readless and the pot odds we are getting I think we have to stick our money in.
  • edited June 2012
    Probably had 66 or or big combo draw. You cant fold this though just unlucky if he has you.
  • edited June 2012
    In Response to Re: Tough Spot:
    Never fold this readless 100bb deep!!!!! Like you said you have no information on either opponent, so you don't know what there willing to get all there money in with. Also TAXIMATE can never really have a set of JJ's or AA's as he just flatted the open pre. It is also very hard for Mattless to have them hands as we have both blockers. Really to fold this we would have to be putting one player on a set of 44's. Given TAXIMATE's line, we would expect him to raise the flop initially with a set so I think we can say a large % of his range is a flush draw, Ax, Jx. However when the action is back on him his carefree raise all in does look quite strong so its not impossible. If any player had a set, I think it would be mattless. His small re raise on the flop looks fairly strong, however we would still need to be nailing his range to 44's to fold. Afterall we are readless, so he could play hands like A4, J4, Ak, AQ and all draws/combo draws like this. So given the fact we are readless and the pot odds we are getting I think we have to stick our money in.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I think this is only good advice if we know our opponent to be a bad player. I can't imagine any experienced player would make such a small 3-bet with one of these vulnerable hands. It would be a shove, call or fold but almost certainly not a small 3-bet.

I think when we're operating in a vacuum it's best not to assume that our opponents are inexperienced. We needn't assign them any great level of skill, but a moderate understanding of the game is something we should credit them with until we see otherwise. I don't think any moderately skilled player would play these weak hands in this way.

As for the whole "Never fold this, readless, 100BB deep", normally I would agree - I'd say we'd been coolered if someone has a set. However, on this ocassion I think we have alot more information from the play in this hand than we would normally expect when only playing 100BB. The reason people normally say that certain things are automatic when 100BB deep is that we're not really deep enough to see enough action to make us believe that we're beat. Here with two opponents, I think we have seen enough action. Yes, we have one Ace and a Jack, but that doesn't negate the possibility of our opponent holding AA or JJ.

Simply saying "I was 100BB deep" is not an excuse for making a call when we have enough information to cause us to reasonably believe we're behind.
  • edited June 2012
    sets or combi draws

behind to one if not two :s or racing

ez fold versus two )
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. Mattless had a set of Jacks and TAXIMATE had a flush draw. I think I agree with you Rancid, probably could/should have folded as pot was 3-way
  • edited June 2012
    Thanks for the input guys. Mattless had a set of Jacks and TAXIMATE had a flush draw. I think I agree with you Rancid, probably could/should have folded as pot was 3-way
    Posted by Thoich
    I think most players, myself included, would have got their money in here given only fifteen seconds to decide. Given a few minutes to think about it at a live table we could perhaps find the fold but online I don't think you should be critical of yourself for getting it in.
  • edited June 2012
    I think most people would have guessed one of them had a set when you posted the hand.....but I dont think saying you should have folded is right.

There are a lot of hands that you could have been up against that you were in good shape against....e.gthey both could have had flush draws!, which you were crushing. e.g if one had qtd and one had 34d you were 60 percent favourite to win the hand.

Set of jacks or aces were made more unlikely since you already held one of each, but you still have 9 percent chance of winning against someone with a set of jacks.
    Against a set of fours you had nearly 20 percent.

Against 2 unknowns and at this level my money goes.
  • edited July 2012
    Haven't read replies, too drunk

Call pre flop top 2, if you fold then something is wrong
  • edited July 2012
    I think most people would have guessed one of them had a set when you posted the hand.....but I dont think saying you should have folded is right. There are a lot of hands that you could have been up against that you were in good shape against....e.gthey both could have had flush draws!, which you were crushing. e.g if one had qtd and one had 34d you were 60 percent favourite to win the hand. Set of jacks or aces were made more unlikely since you already held one of each, but you still have 9 percent chance of winning against someone with a set of jacks. Against a set of fours you had nearly 20 percent. Against 2 unknowns and at this level my money goes.
    Posted by Spad3s
    You can accuse me of being results orientated for saying this if you like but I think I'm pretty good at avoiding that. In this hand I think the flop 3-bet size demonstrates that mattless believes he has the best hand. I can't see a reasonable player making this 3-bet with a draw facing two opponents. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to narrow his range down to AJ, 44, JJ and AA. The outcome of this hand isn't important but, in the long-term, I think this betting pattern from our two opponents gives us all the information we need to make the fold... Just perhaps not in fifteen seconds.
  • edited July 2012
    Ahhh man I just read this and put matless on JJ there and taxi on AK or a flush yeah I think its a fold as they have acted before so highly likely your way behind to one and flipping against the other. For what it is worth I think 3 betting pre is better here as your out of posistion with a half decent ace post so 3 bet pre and re -evaluate what happens. In this case they prob both call and you bust or it allows you the info to know your behind post on that flop.