You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Line check: standard check-fold on river?

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
No need to say "raise more pre". I know that some NL4 players like big raises pre-flop, I don't. I think we've covered this before. Reads on the opponent were that he was active pre-flop, raising rather than open limping but he did fold to a c-bet when in possition earlier on at the table. I can shove the river here but I don't see what worse hand can call me except TT/JJ maybe. Checking means that missed straight draws or middle PPs check behind. But it opens the door for the BTN to complete their float and shove me off the hand. Anyone playing this any differently?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SB Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £4.37
BB
Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £3.56
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

CO
Call   £0.04 £0.10 £2.09
BTN
Call   £0.04 £0.14 £3.99
jugglegeek Raise   £0.18 £0.32 £4.19
BB
Fold        
CO
Call   £0.16 £0.48 £1.93
BTN
Call   £0.16 £0.64 £3.83
Flop

jugglegeek Bet   £0.48 £1.12 £3.71
CO
Fold        
BTN
Call   £0.48 £1.60 £3.35
Turn

jugglegeek Bet   £0.88 £2.48 £2.83
BTN
Call   £0.88 £3.36 £2.47
River

jugglegeek Check        
BTN
All-in   £2.47 £5.83 £0.00
jugglegeek Fold        
BTN
Muck        
BTN
Win   £3.10   £3.10
BTN Return   £2.47 £0.26 £5.57

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Raise more pre
  • edited June 2012
    raise at least to 20p pre
    bet more flop & turn

river - call - lolz and reload )

why can't oppo be doing this on river with hands you beat
    probs got flush hey ho here we go
  • edited June 2012
    At these stakes with a 2 to a flush board just shove the turn. Save yourself any decisions. Most donks will call you anyways with 10 3 suited and a 20% chance of winning a couple of quid.

lol @ curt btw
  • edited July 2012
    More on turn

Jam river
  • edited July 2012
    Disagree with some here. Yes pre and flop I can agree, but on the river I think C/F is fine. Unless I'd seen evidence that player has a shove bluff in their locker I'm 99% sure you are beat here every time to either the flush or a nine. So rare at lowest micro stakes you see to many big bluffs because so rare you can get people to lay a hand down.

Better spots as played than to call the river. Hence why if you can get the money in earlier as others said its often better. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah as stated above this is played well throughout! You should never be calling the river readless here you have a bluff catcher at best. I would check the turn at this level tbh as a 9 is very likely but by betting there you must know your beat when he just calls and the club comes. At worst he has 3 9's but more likely a house or a flush. I would be pretty happy folding here and pretty certain he has a house
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Line check: standard check-fold on river?:
    Raise more pre
    Posted by Curt360x27
    +1
  • edited July 2012

Seriously though you should raise more pre. I don't believe it's a matter of opinion on how big you raise pre at this level, I think it's a case of 'right' and 'wrong'. If you ask any decent reg who plays at this level or have been successful in the past I'm sure they will tell you your making a massive mistake by not maximazing ther value from your big hands.

If you raise bigger pre you don't get yourself into this situation. If you raise to somewhere between 30-40p, you can bet flop, jam turn. TBH if you raise to say, 34p pre (THEY WILL STILL CALL) you could even just jam the flop. 

As played the flop is ok (again you should go bigger) bet bigger turn or jam both would be fine. 
    As played c/f the river is fine. They will call with worse but rarely bet with worse here and you can't b/f. 

Although you have saved some money here, you really should have lost a BI if you played the hand optimally.

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Line check: standard check-fold on river?:
    Seriously though you should raise more pre. I don't believe it's a matter of opinion on how big you raise pre at this level, I think it's a case of 'right' and 'wrong' . If you ask any decent reg who plays at this level or have been successful in the past I'm sure they will tell you your making a massive mistake by not maximazing ther value from your big hands. If you raise bigger pre you don't get yourself into this situation. If you raise to somewhere between 30-40p, you can bet flop, jam turn. TBH if you raise to say, 34p pre (THEY WILL STILL CALL) you could even just jam the flop.  As played the flop is ok (again you should go bigger) bet bigger turn or jam both would be fine.  As played c/f the river is fine. They will call with worse but rarely bet with worse here and you can't b/f.  Although you have saved some money here, you really should have lost a BI if you played the hand optimally.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I hear what you are saying but I don't understand why it's a bad thing to get myself into this situation. Isn't this going to be one of the spots where I am going to be able to make better, more +ev, decisions than my opponents? If I raise to say 34p pre then the pot's going to be £1 OTF. I bet £1 on the flop get called by the BTN and shove the turn, even if the villian call me for £2.50 on the turn with J6 of clubs then I'm favorite by 75%. I lose a BI if I'm wrong and he has the 9 and I lose a by in if the club hits on the river.
    By getting myself into this situation by controlling the pot and betting normally I can make a clearly thought out decision for 60BBs on the river by analysing the board, my opponent's play throughout the hand and the last half hour that I've seen him play so far.