You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

can anyone help plz!

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
playing last night and this hand bugged me a bit, its not because i lost it although it has highlighted my lack of understanding of the game at this level.the hand in question is not i repeat not a bad beat story  but i want to understand the thinking of my opponent.
 on the table about 20 mins and at first the player in question was not sat down (if he had i wouldnt have sat with him). pre flop is standard (i think) it was the flop play i dont understand.
 was i right to open on the flop  on this board? the main question i guess is the re raise from "said" player, is it to commit himself and me to getting it in here?. with his hand i wouldnt play it like he did and considering he is probably the best player on sky (sorry if i offend anyone with that statement) i would like to understand his thinking so i can adapt my own game. playing with really really good players is great, only if you understand what and why they do certain things. cheers phil 

Comments

• edited July 2012
    pod1Small blind £0.50£0.50£101.07
    citygroundBig blind £1.00£1.50£103.12
     Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

Raise £3.00£4.50£97.00
    victorrezzFold    
    bigsidFold    
    pod1Raise £8.50£13.00£92.57
    citygroundFold    
     Call £6.00£19.00£91.00
    Flop

• J

pod1Bet £14.25£33.25£78.32
     Raise £38.00£71.25£53.00
    pod1All-in £78.32£149.57£0.00
     All-in £53.00£202.57£0.00
    pod1Unmatched bet £1.57£201.00£1.57
    pod1Show
    • A
    • A

Show

Turn

• Q

River

• J

WinStraight to the Queen£199.20 £199.20
  • edited July 2012
    Would help if we could see stack sizes, but I assume you were 100bb deep or he was.

If I was you I would 3bet a bit more, to 9 or 10 or 11..not a big deal though. Your cbet is too big, half pot is pretty standard and best.

Rest of hand looks pretty standard. Hes flopped pretty good with 9t, what else is he suppose to do in a 3bet pot, just call and only win when he hits?...Raise will/could take you off hands like ak, aq, 99, tt, air etc. May even take you off hands like jq, jk, qq!....some nits out there. He would prob play a set the exact same way.
  • edited July 2012
    So who is the best player on the site?
  • edited July 2012
    it was more the size of the reraise i was struggling with, did make me think twice to start with but went through his range pre and apart from p2s or 8s i couldnt think what else he was doing this with, then i thought if he did have a set i doubt he would re raise as we were only 100 bb deep. if he was "getting it in" at this stage i dont see how it can be profitable as doing this is -ev. ps he did have another option apart from call or reraise :-)
  • edited July 2012
    thought that was going to be your first question , not last, hehe.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: can anyone help plz!:
    it was more the size of the reraise i was struggling with, did make me think twice to start with but went through his range pre and apart from p2s or 8s i couldnt think what else he was doing this with, then i thought if he did have a set i doubt he would re raise as we were only 100 bb deep. if he was "getting it in" at this stage i dont see how it can be profitable as doing this is -ev. ps he did have another option apart from call or reraise :-)
    Posted by pod1
    If he had known you had AA I dont think he would try and take you off it. Very easy for you when you have AA.
    I dont think a fold is ever an option for him, why would he bother calling your 3bet with 9t just to fold when he hits the flop?, especially when most players will cbet 100% of the time.
    Maybe he could have just called flop and tried to take it off you if you checked.
  • edited July 2012
    You played it well, I don't agree with half potting that flop at this level 60% + IMO.
    You played fine just ran into someone abit spewy tbh .
    You could fold but long run your winning from here.
  • edited July 2012

As your question seems to be more about his thought process than yours its tough to answer. Certainly if he has you on AA he doesn't do this, but equally its not a bad play against the possible range of hands you might have 3bet pre-flop with. He stands a chance of making you fold a few of them on the flop, and maybe mroe than a few if he thinks you may laydown some strong hands to a reraise on the flop.

He can get away with this sometimes and take the pot on the flop, and in worst case and you do shove with an overpair he does have to call due to being pot commit, but will have outs against any hand you currently hold. Either his straight or even possible backdoor flush.

So that is what he was likely thinking with his reraise on the flop that either he wins it there against some hands, or at worst has outs to win against whatever you have if you shove.

• edited July 2012

Such a standard hand TBH. You played it fine, he played it fine.
    kam99 and spad3s posts sum it up really. He is obv never folding and if he calls he has to hit to win the hand. Raising here may take it down against other hands you may 3bet with (AK, AQ, A10, QJ, KJ, 99, 1010 suited connectors and complete bluffs). He'll be doing this with the intention of calling of a shove as he is pot commited and has outs.
    Also when you say he wouldn't raise with a set here, he would. If he is going to raise here with a semi bluff or a complete bluff, he will also raise with very strong hands like sets as to balance his range. It wouldn't make much sense to raise with a semi bluff and flat call with a set, as he will be losing value and would become very readable to you.

So on a whole I would't worry at all about this hand, you and the villian both played it well.

• edited July 2012
    cant comment pod as i cant see anything wrong the way u played it just unlucky i woulda played it the same way 
  • edited July 2012
    this is the point im making, i wouldnt play it like he did. i think i woulda folded to the raise on the flop!!! god  i have much to learn :-(
  • edited July 2012
    Dont see you do alot wrong poddy.  Dont doubt yourself so much.

Strip the hand to the bones.  He opens and flats a sizeable 3bet pre.

You vb and he commits himself, you then put him in as 64% fav (at worst) and he gets there. 

Respect that you think oppo is a great player, but this is pretty darn spewy.  Obv 8sJh2s play is diff but oppo gets it in as a big dog here.

Have more confidence in yourself bud.  YOU get this player who you think is creme de la creme AIOF as a 2/3 dog :P
  • edited July 2012
    Also:

oppo is likely multi tabling, if calling 3bet pre and connecting like this think it is justifiable playing hand this way, vs obv certain ranges.  Its just an obv perceived equity line

Forget reads for sets as we arent folding here 100bbs deep..like ever even vs feared players, perhaps even more so.

Obv making money here over volume, even the best spew :p