You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

QQ facing turn re raise

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic

£22 BH, Only 2nd hand in, so no reads.

Has oppo got there on the turn? I dont think i`m calling, so fold or shove?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Dooney Small blind  10.00 10.00 1970.00
Tspark Big blind  20.00 30.00 1980.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

davelufc Raise  60.00 90.00 1940.00
DODGY65 Fold     
walkz Call  60.00 150.00 1880.00
Chilled73 Fold     
Dooney Call  50.00 200.00 1920.00
Tspark Call  40.00 240.00 1940.00
Flop

• K
  • J

Dooney Check     
Tspark Check     
davelufc Bet  120.00 360.00 1820.00
walkz Call  120.00 480.00 1760.00
Dooney Fold     
Tspark Fold     
Turn

davelufc Bet  240.00 720.00 1580.00
walkz Raise  480.00 1200.00 1280.00
davelufc ??

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Fold,

Why are you cbetting half pot?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: QQ facing turn re raise:
    Fold, Why are you cbetting half pot?
    Posted by Spad3s
    I thought it was fairly standard, should it be 3/4 or pot?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: QQ facing turn re raise : I thought it was fairly standard, should it be 3/4 or pot?
    Posted by davelufc
    Yeah I would say 3/4 pot.
  • edited July 2012
     Your cbet is too big, half pot is pretty standard and best.
    from my post 5 mins earlier spades!!! :-)

• edited July 2012
     Your cbet is too big, half pot is pretty standard and best. from my post 5 mins earlier spades!!! :-)
    Posted by pod1
    Yeah that was a 3bet pot....
  • edited July 2012
    I dont think half pot is terrible, it just makes it harder to play when you get a call. my standard c-bet will be about 160, think id check fold turn, as played dont think I can shove this, fold looks good.
  • edited July 2012
    Half pot is fine i would go for about 60% ish and then half on turn but fold to raise as your behind to alot.
  • edited July 2012
    There is no standard c-bet size. Usually it would be between half-pot and three-quarter-pot but it's all fine. As long as you make the same bet with your made hands as you do with your bluffs you won't be exploitable. I almost always bet half-pot on the flop and need a good reason to do otherwise. In tournament play I'm pretty confident that half-pot is optimal but I'm sure other folk will make different arguments.

Anyway, the bet on the turn is probably a bit of a mistake. It's tough to check because it feels like we're giving up but on this turn there's not much reason to bet. If we think about what he called with on the flop:

If he had a King we're behind and just handing him value.
    If he had a flush draw, again we're behind and are just handing him value.
    If he had a Jack he probably won't call another bet.

So if he calls or raises we're probably behind and if he folds then we've folded out a worse hand. Probably the only hands we're beating that call on the turn are something like a Jack with a flush draw or perhaps QT with the Queen of clubs. That's not a large number of hands and against his overall range I don't think the bet on the turn makes sense.

I think the best option on the turn is to check and probably give up if he bets. It might be alright to call one street of betting from him if you think he's capable of floating with air or of calling with a Jack and then repping the flush - even then I don't think we can stand another bet on the river - but I don't think there's anything wrong with just giving it up here. Check and hope he checks it back.

As played we're not beating much of his range when he makes this raise. It might just be someone being creative, floating the flop then repping the flush with a raise but more often it will be a better hand than QQ.
  • edited July 2012
    Not sure why this is such and issue really. At this blind levels then totally fine not to get out of shape when there are lots of hands that are possibly ahead of your QQ at this point. So C/F is fine on the turn, and wait for a better spot. No point getting out of line on a board like this.

Also, no issue with a half pot bet either really here. Most people vary their bets from half to 3/4 so long as thats all you're doing then its no bother and not an issue either. :)
  • edited July 2012

Fold the turn i think you get your answer on the flop. I don't bet out on the turn here.  I don't there is a hand you are beating that he would call the flop and min raise the turn.
    2 nd hand in this guy has a set, flush or KJ at the least. i'd guess id play it this way i think he can't raise any more on the turn cuz that would scare you off out of the hand if you had nothing thats a big thing to me in this hand
    Fold all day long for me what did you do ?

• edited July 2012
    1/2 pot is giving oppo the right price to call w/draws

may aswel check flop
  • edited July 2012
    1/2 pot is giving oppo the right price to call w/draws may aswel check flop
    Posted by rancid
    Well, getting away from this hand and speaking about the half-pot bet in general; we offer a flush draw 3/1 on the call and he's slightly worse than 4/1 to hit the flush on the turn. The difference can of course be made up by the implied odds of him getting paid more but then it's incumbent upon us to not pay him off when that flushing card hits. In the long run we're better off by getting our opponents to put money in with the wrong odds than we are by getting them to fold.

The thing that makes a half-pot bet most reasonable in tournaments is that it makes our bluffs cheaper and, out of a shorter stack as in tournament play, that's always likely to be best. We also get value from a wider range of hands and give ourselves more ammunition to fire. Granted that ammunition doesn't have the same impact, but on most ocassions if they're folding for 2/3 or 3/4 pot, they're folding for 1/2 pot too. That's especially true if they've seen us making this bet with a value hand.
  • edited July 2012
    1/2 pot is giving oppo the right price to call w/draws may aswel check flop
    Posted by rancid
    agree