You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A/K in MTT with 40BB stack

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Had run fairly deep in a big online MTT.
From 13,000 entrants we were down to about 500 and I had approx 40 BB, on the button with Ace/King Off.
Under the gun min raised with a similar approx 40 BB stack.
I flat called.
I think it was the fact he was a tight player (along with my awkwardly sized stack - 40BB being neither monster nor short at this stage of the tournament) and because he was raising from under the gun that made me play my Ace/King so cautiously. Usually facing a min raise I would reraise with this hand in these circumstances but figured I could flat call in position and see if I connected on the flop before deciding how to proceed.
I figured 3 betting here meant I could have to call or fold to a 4 bet, or even 5 bet all in, all of which I saw no need to do since I had position and a stack size that meant I didnt need to be over eager to get it all in pre flop without a big pocket pair.
Then just as I thought I was about to see the flop the Big Blind 3-bet shoved all in with his 35BB stack.
The original under the gun raiser folded.
I tanked and then called - figured if he had Aces or Kings he would never have just shoved but would have raised for value and by flat calling the original raiser I had disguised the value of my hand and so he could easily have A/Q or A/J and shoved not thinking I'd have A/K. Figured I was probably racing but more chance I was dominating him than vice versa.
He has Pocket 8's.
I missed and was crippled down to 5 BB after I had been going very well and was very confident of progressing deeper into the later stages and big payouts.
So first of all what do people think of my original decision to flat call on the button (in retrospect I think it was a mistake and should have reraised as I usually would with A/K)?
Second of all, having flat called should I have then just folded it to the all in rather than having to call off my then 38BB stack pre flop since that is more than enough chips to have plenty of time to stick around and find better spots where I am dictating rather than calling off?
Or am I just being results orientated and having found myself in that position with A/K simply can never fold and always have to call it off?

Comments

• edited July 2012
    To be honest, it does seem a bit strange that you choose to flat call because you don't fancy playing for stacks when you're 40BB deep, and yet you call a shove which is basically for your tournament life.

I definitely fold AK in that spot, I just can't see someone shoving 38BB there with AQ or AJ, I think you're gonna be flipping here virtually 100% and maybe the odd time getting it in AK v AK. From his point of view, it's just such little reward for such a big risk. I guess it depends if you have reads on the opponent but if he shoves AQ/AJ then he folds out every single hand he is beating and only gets called by hands that are crushing him.

I think your stack is way too big to take this kinda gamble, especially when you've done so well to outlast such a large field.
  • edited July 2012

I think you should have 3 bet pre with the view of getting your 40bb stack in.

As played though I think like lambert says, your gonna be flipping a large % of the time or against the same hand. The tricky thing is like you say, youve under  repped your hand, which I think has levelled you into calling. Your call is certainly not bad though especially if you had reads/notes, however I think the best play is to fold, accept youve messed up the hand and move on until you find a better spot when your forcing the action.

• edited July 2012
    Even as I was reading your post I put the BB on medium PP below JJ, as don't see him shoving KK or AA either there that often with stacks the way they were. However, like said above if you were thinking of not wanting to play with stacks seems odd to call when you were likely going to be on teh wrong side of a 50-50 flip in most cases there I feel.

Think if you had reraised you win the hand preflop, as would be tough for the 88 to shove to an UTG raise and a 3bet from you and unknown action from UTG to come after him. Maybe he still shoves, but would be lot harder to do I feel. Get why you did what you did with the flat in postion to a tight UTG raise, but still think lot of the time I'd reraise pre-flop still.

As played I fold to the bb shove. No need to really take a flip 40bb deep with what you've commited. Some may disagree, but thats my 2 cents.
  • edited July 2012
    3 bet pre
    call the squeeeeeeeeeze
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: A/K in MTT with 40BB stack:
    3 bet pre call the squeeeeeeeeeze
    Posted by rancid
    Cheers guys, seems a clear consensus that I should have 3 bet pre flop but that was a small mistake and then not folding to the all in was a bigger one. Thats kind of what I thought and your posts have helped me to confirm that in my own head so cheers for your replies.

Just went out of TWO MTT's tonight either side of the bubble, and BOTH TIMES I got it all in pre flop with Aces!!
    Not as much to analyse there.