You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Interesting spot in PLO

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Now, this hand didnt happen to me, but was put up on a local forum and everyone had very different things to say about it. Around three very different takes on the hand and how it could have been played and what to do. Anyway just thought it'd be good to see what people here think...

"This is a hand from a shorthanded 1 2 game, I think it was 6 handed at the time. I have about 380 villan covers. Table has been playing pretty loose passive.

I'm not sure if my memory is perfect here with sizing etc. but I' say it's pretty close.

I raise to 7 in the HJ with 5758 btn calls and villan in sb calls. Standard open right? 

Flop comes 697 Villan in the sb leads for 17. I raise to 58. The villan in this hand has played all his draws passively so far. I'd expect him to C/c all draws and lead made hands. So I would say he's leading 2 pair+ hands, sets, made straights maybe some overpairs? Difficult to know for certain obviously so its possible he could just c/f some overpairs or 2 pair hands on this wet a board. 

Would everybody raise here yeah? 

Villan then thinks for a minute or 2 and raises the pot. 

Hero?? Standard ship now and if he has better its a cooler? "

So...Opinions ??

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I'm no PLO expert (I've played about 200 hands ever lol!) but isn't PLO mostly about draw rather than flopping big hands. So the bigger concern should be if we can improve further. Is there a flush draw out, do we have a flush draw. If we have the second nuts on the flop and get 3-bet with no chance of improving out hand then it's probably a fold right? If we have a draw to the flush then we can ship it.
  • edited July 2012
    " I raise to 7 in the HJ with 5758 btn calls and villan in sb calls. Standard open right? "

not really standard no imo
  • edited July 2012
    The Post didnt actually Paste properly but His had is 5c8c7d5d and the flop is 6c7c9d. Bit of an unbelievably important part of the hand Sorry !!!
  • edited July 2012
    I dont know why u have raise pre to start with plo is a post flop game so want to see as many flops as u can so u dnt bloat pots upwith marginal holdings on this hand i hate your raise y not play small ball when u raise and this guy done this your hating life your basically turning your hand into a bluff in omaha if the nuts is out there and a guy raises u are probably drawing dead i wouldnt even think about calling this is pretty easy fold for me yes he could have top set or any set but u still have to dodge alot of cards 
  • edited July 2012
    I'm with Donk on this, in that PLO is normally about big hands, and if better is out there and you are getting raised then you are likely in trouble. The guy with this straight on flop "maybe" ahead currently, but there is a good chance not when he isn't holding the current nut straight, and if he is ahead the guy raising would have to be pretty strong I'd think. I know you have flush draw and even straight flush draw possible with this hand, but also good chance on draw boards that someone is drawing to the nut flush if they are drawing, and so only the straight flush would work.

Can see why people would argue over the hand though as holding the second nuts, with a flush and straight flush draw is pretty strong, but also highly possible that you are behind as well, or drawing to worse flush (straight flush not counted). If I had to guess you could well find that villian has not only the hight straight but free rolling the nut flush draw too. Quite often the case when all ins happen in PLO. Interesting hand though, and agree don't see point in a raise with this hand pre.
  • edited July 2012
    so this is a live game?

presuming we have reached the flop (which personally i probably wouldnt) then it is very player dependent imo especially live.

the flush draw we have is a lot of the time irelevant here with opponent showing strength..
  • edited July 2012
    just realised he re raised again on the flop

unless he is a complete loon with no omaha experience then very very easy fold