You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Early in BH....should i realise and get away? Felt sick!

Hi folks
Tenth hand of £750 BH and no reads. Should i get away after all in. Expected to be possibly behind to a set or two pair after ReR on Turn but neither had  reraised my initial raise. So with TPGK and OESD and with the pot odds of over 5 to 1 and with let's say 3aces, 4x9's and 2xk and 2xQ giving maybe 11 outs surely i'm priced in(not to mention the two bounties).

Maybe i should only consider outs for probable wins so 4x9's and let's say 3xa's as expect one is out. Even so that's 7 outs and gives me something like 28% equity and makes a good bet with the pot odds after AI's.

Is this thinking flawed?
If you were the other players wouldn't you have reraised my initial raise?
How would i even consider ranges after other two just call initially? Perplexing!!
I look forward to you tearing me to shreds guys!!

@Small blind 15.0015.002445.00TsaaaarBig blind 30.0045.001930.00 Your hole cardsKQ   Bubsy9StarFold    fladnagFold    profman15Raise 120.00165.001765.00???@Call105.00390.002340.00TsaaaarFold    Flop  J10K@ShowK10   profman15ShowKQ   ???ShowAQ   Turn  4   River  J   ???WinStraight to the Ace5965.00 5965.00

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I think this is a tough spot to some degree. Its absolutely certain for me that with a board like this when you cbet get called and reraised that you are definately going to be behind 9 times out of 10. So its a case of do you feel lucky on a draw, as my guess is that is all you can count on as outs, and you have to consider that you may already be drawing to just a chop if someone does have AQ, leaving you only 3 outs.

For me I fold to the raise on the flop, as I could be so far behind right now its silly on a board thats all over peoples range for 2 pairs and straights. Maybe I'd temper this if I knew the two players were rubbish and it is a BH as well and that does lead to some wild plays early, but otherwise I think I fold and look for a better spot than something like this. But maybe thats just me.
  • edited July 2012
    @'s raise, but I can see the results and it may influence it a bit..

as played, hate the flat, just jam yourself.

it's not terrible and some players would 100% advocate not folding here in a BH.
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, I think it's a fold after your flop bet is called and then raised. The range of hands that will check-raise on this flop is surely going to be better than just top pair and the caller is conceivably going to be holding some of our outs, if they themselves don't have us beat.

Certainly calling the raise for more than 1/3 of your stack and leaving yourself 955 back in a pot of 2205 is not good. It's a moment to shove or fold and I think it's a fold.
  • edited July 2012
    Just on your point about your opponents' play pre-flop. The player with AQ on the button probably doesn't want to 3-bet because:

A) It's early and they don't have much information on your opening range.
    B) They don't want to build a big pot, early on with AQ, thinking that if they are 4-bet they have to fold.
    C) If they just call, they can disquise their hand and play the hand in position.
    D) Maybe they don't think about any of A, B or C and just see that they have a good hand and want to see a flop.

Obviously the KT is getting really good pot odds and they've got plenty of chips to play around with. I'm not saying that it's great play to call in the blinds with KT but it's certainly something that shouldn't surprise you.

I actually think that these hands should be fairly prominent in your thoughts when considering your opponents' rages. Alright, AQ is liable to raise more often than call but this certainly isn't a tremendously surprising hand to see.
  • edited July 2012
    Open smaller pre.

Very deceptive flop.  Very dangerous multiway.  Re-shove or fold.  Flatting raise is really ugly bud
  • edited July 2012
    Cheers fellas though the 'bad flat' is a surprise as the result would have been the same surely. The odd thing i feel is the call to my raise pre. No, its true, i'd never seen these players and its very early. Maybewith their pre flop play, i was unsure of their range of hands. Certainly the gap principle is disregarded by many early doors in Bh. My pot odds seemed ok for my covering the all-in. I didn't expect the AQ as just called R pre but as Kam said...it's done.
    'If unsure then fold' is a tenet so as i certainly was then it was time to leave the party with my TPGK and OESD after the reraise of my half pot bet? Oh well, i got some kip!!!
    Amybr..."open smaller pre"? Why? ITs early and i don't want people fishing with SC's after a min raise at 15/30 level surely.
  • edited July 2012
    Being multiway with that much heat, i would fold to the all in, this deep and early, look for a better spot, easier said than done sometimes though! why did you 4x open out of interest?
  • edited July 2012
    Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons a little. Is there any merit to checking the flop? Obviously in a cash game we c-bet here for value from draws and worse pairs as well as to protect out hand etc. But in the early stages of a tournement where getting it all in OTF is going to be a flip situation most of the time, does check-call make any sense?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Early in BH....should i realise and get away? Felt sick!:
    Being multiway with that much heat, i would fold to the all in, this deep and early, look for a better spot, easier said than done sometimes though! why did you 4x open out of interest?
    Posted by JAM888
    Hi Jam
    Let me get it straight. i'm a novice with just over a year's experience and i'm trying to improve through reading books and articles(sometimes too many!!) and through the forum as well as experience. I tend to put up hands that perplex me either through not understanding my opponents play or being unsure as to what my best play was in the situation.
     I raised 4xBB early in a BH as players tend to fish early on with suited connectors etc andnot 'stick', as it were. to the normal opening hands and gap principle. The aim was to deter the Robson Green's of this world ie 'fisherman' as it were. Now to my mind that seems a good idea but your query appears to question that. What do you think?
  • edited July 2012
    Just to set the cat amongst the pigeons a little. Is there any merit to checking the flop? Obviously in a cash game we c-bet here for value from draws and worse pairs as well as to protect out hand etc. But in the early stages of a tournement where getting it all in OTF is going to be a flip situation most of the time, does check-call make any sense?
    Posted by jugglegeek
    Yeh, think this is a valid point check-call or check-fold, gets the same information, something i will consider in future spots
  • edited July 2012
    check flop, way ahead or way behind

a/p fold to the raise or shove
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Early in BH....should i realise and get away? Felt sick! : Hi Jam Let me get it straight. i'm a novice with just over a year's experience and i'm trying to improve through reading books and articles(sometimes too many!!) and through the forum as well as experience. I tend to put up hands that perplex me either through not understanding my opponents play or being unsure as to what my best play was in the situation.  I raised 4xBB early in a BH as players tend to fish early on with suited connectors etc andnot 'stick', as it were. to the normal opening hands and gap principle. The aim was to deter the Robson Green's of this world ie 'fisherman' as it were. Now to my mind that seems a good idea but your query appears to question that. What do you think?
    Posted by profman15

Hi, I am also striving to improve, i have more leaks than a leaky thing inc, bet sizing pot control and hand reading, im currently reading the mental game of poker, i have found this to be very helpful for my biggest leak TILT.  

Your case for 4x seems reasonable, early on and deep, and if it works for you, ok.   

For me, its mainly about the money you save when you have to fold
    when you get shoved on and have to fold med strength hand
    when you are steeling and have to fold to a 3 bet
    it all adds up
    also helps with pot control

good luck building your game and run good

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Early in BH....should i realise and get away? Felt sick! : Hi Jam Let me get it straight. i'm a novice with just over a year's experience and i'm trying to improve through reading books and articles(sometimes too many!!) and through the forum as well as experience. I tend to put up hands that perplex me either through not understanding my opponents play or being unsure as to what my best play was in the situation.  I raised 4xBB early in a BH as players tend to fish early on with suited connectors etc andnot 'stick', as it were. to the normal opening hands and gap principle. The aim was to deter the Robson Green's of this world ie 'fisherman' as it were. Now to my mind that seems a good idea but your query appears to question that. What do you think?
    Posted by profman15
    This being the case 4x and 3x opens are fine.  Not trying to come across rude bud, but the reason we open smaller pre is because of confident post flop play.  If all the skills are still being developed then it is in fact better to open more standard amounts.

Oh and best of luck bud.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Jam and Amybr

Firsly, AMYBR, believe me mate, i'm not offended at all or feel you're being rude whatsoever. I appreciate you taking the time to put your opinions to hands. I feel i made an error and could get away after the all-in leaving me 995 but it was the pot odds and ,deep down, two bounties that probably drew me in. We've all done it, i'm sure or seen people catch rediculous outs to set them off in a BH so early.
    Hey Jam, ive got and read the book "the mental game of poker" and think its really good. It actually pointed out various feelings i was having playing so succinctly. I'm reading Ace in the Hole at the moment and Winning Poker T's one hand at a time at the moment. Some of it nvolves range balancing which is a bit complex but as an ex maths teacher i should understand it. Its putting it into action correctly thatsthedifficult part. if anyone knows of a good article on it, i'd appreciate it....cheers fellas
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Jam and Amybr Firsly, AMYBR, believe me mate, i'm not offended at all or feel you're being rude whatsoever.
    Posted by profman15
    "Always Manage Your Bank Roll"  Get-it? knows his stihe! GREAT analyst! 
    @ raises? I'm outta there! 
  • edited July 2012
    @ raises? I'm outta there! 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Nice one...made me laugh!!