You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sat for roller what to do on this turn

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
I open min as in C/O and happy playing posistion with the stack and players at table as often as possible. I don't like the 2 callers but hit middle of the flop on a pretty dry board, so my thinking is a c-bet is only really getting called by a jack or 78, 89 type of hand and pairs in between i.e. 99 TT.
I c-bet and get a call from the BB who has a wide range for calling pre as getting priced in. Then the turn comes but brings an unexpected flush draw and an ace which I feel I can rep! But my stack size is awkward in comparison to the pot. I now think i'm behind but have outs and I think he has atleast a jack here what would you do????
Can I shove here? (First instinct was to shove) Can I bet and fold? Or should i check and give up to a non club or 8 river?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
johnreid Small blind  75.00 75.00 2225.00
petebryn Big blind  150.00 225.00 3250.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q

ed897 Fold     
mike1975 Fold     
Batkin88 Raise  300.00 525.00 2980.00
boby54 Fold     
johnreid Call  225.00 750.00 2000.00
petebryn Call  150.00 900.00 3100.00
Flop

• J

johnreid Check     
petebryn Check     
Batkin88 Bet  488.00 1388.00 2492.00
johnreid Fold     
petebryn Call  488.00 1876.00 2612.00
Turn

• A

petebryn Check     
Batkin88?

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Anything but bet/fold!

Check back, or bet/call if you think he can sometimes fold Jx

Sizes are awkward and if you shove, some people will say "it looks like what it is", if you make it 1.4k people will say "you might as well shove".

mehhh I'd b/c 1,456.78 :D
  • edited July 2012
    Bet 900-950 and call a shove.
  • edited July 2012
    if i bet 900 what if he calls??
    And I think I am behind so don't want to induce a shove with a weak bet
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Sat for roller what to do on this turn:
    if i bet 900 what if he calls?? And I think I am behind so don't want to induce a shove with a weak bet
    Posted by Batkin88
    Just noticed you also have a pair of 8s, thought you just had Queen high and a flush draw before, and had to get the opponent to fold to win the pot... Epic fail!

Okay, I think I check it back, actually. Our pair of 8s might be the best hand, but we're never going to get 2 streets called by worse, so we have showdown value with no value in betting. If our hand is behind at the moment, we can still hit our draw.

It's the best card in the deck for you to fire a second barrel, but the stack size makes this awkward. If we've just got Queen high (which I thought before) then I think we have to bet the turn as we'll get a lot of folds from hands which beat us, but as we have showdown value, I don't mind checking it back and getting to showdown as cheaply as possible, and value betting if we hit our draw on the river.
  • edited July 2012
    If we b/c we are definitively only getting it in vs better, albeit with plenty of equity.

Its a sat and our stack is pretty nicely set up for 3bet shoves/ open shoves if this particular hand goes south.  Stack sizes are tricky here, I think I opt for free card & showdown value over trying to force it through.
  • edited July 2012
    fold pre - it's a sat and you are not stacked for dribbling away your chips. You are lucky to have position but your hand is still pretty weak.
  • edited July 2012
    Check back the turn. You have showdown value with your 8 currently, and so want to get to a cheap showdown. Also saves getting shoved on, which might happen. If he bets the river its call or fold depending how big the bet is, as its quite possible he has the jack at this point. Obviously if you hit your flush this is good as he may well lead out the river even if it hits, and if he doesn't he is unlikely to credit you for it if you value bet it if he was to check the river.
  • edited July 2012
    fold pre - it's a sat and you are not stacked for dribbling away your chips. You are lucky to have position but your hand is still pretty weak.
    Posted by GELDY
    How am I lucky to have posistion? I am not opening this hand anywhere but C.O or dealer button.

In regards to the post thanks everyone I decided I would try and rep c betting with nothing and spiking the ace and shoving quickly as overexcited knowing I have enough outs if called. It got through and looking back I agree with the checking it back but don't think I have any showdown value as I am 98.8752424% he has a jack
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Sat for roller what to do on this turn : How am I lucky to have posistion? Posted by Batkin88
    Sorry - I meant at least you have position - no luck about it - still it's a bit of a loose play in my opinion unless you are planning to bluff the flop - but i'm still learning and maybe i'm just too tight
  • edited July 2012
    I would fold it pre as this is a sat, and i would be looking to conserve my stack and not get in sticky spots unnessasarily, your playing this hand like your in a cash game imo, 30bb q8 relatively early in sat, not for me!
  • edited July 2012
    I would generally fold pre this shallow, obv opening can be fine

Why do you think you are behind on turn? If so why bet flop? I b/c turn, about 1100
  • edited July 2012
    bet on flop is fine for take down of pot with a vulernable pair

check turn, only hand types your ahead of is 910,7's<

check turn, anything else is probbaly a bluff, but u do have fd so a free card is nice
    don't think semi bluff is bad but your not that deep so free card is good

ps. do you only ever have AA 3 handed gg
  • edited July 2012
    I would generally fold pre this shallow, obv opening can be fine Why do you think you are behind on turn? If so why bet flop? I b/c turn, about 1100
    Posted by grantorino
    The reasoning why I think I'm behind is that on such a dry flop 3 way and considering stack sizes I am only getting called on the  flop by 88 99 TT or a hand with a jack in it IMO so I once called I was praying for an ace of any suit really or another 8 .