You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flopping a set in an unraised pot

Scenario: everyone is deep-stacked (100 big blinds). There are three callers, you check it from the big blind with 66.

Flop comes A96 rainbow.

Plan the play.

Comments

• edited June 2009
    Check first of all. I often find when flopping a set, particularly an Ace High one, someone with an ace is 95% of the time, going to bet into you - if they have an ace. The board is placid - little there for a draw unless someone has 78 (Its the sort of hand you can limp with early on - but I wouldn't be overly concerned). If the board is a little more juicey, then betting out here is the best thing to do - if they've got a draw, the least you can do is make them pay for it.

If you don't get any action, its likely theres likely to be no ace. If it gets checked around, bet the turn, you'll weed out any of the rubbish, and you're likely to get called middle pair - it looks like a steal if there's no flop action - as they assume nobody has anything. If there's someone slow playing Ace-high - even better. The important thing here is to start building the pot, the more thats in there the more they could call on the river.

If someone does bet the flop, lets say a pot bet, just flat call. Its likely they've got ace high, a min-re-raise may work aswell - its all about building the pot at this stage. Check the turn, and see if they bet into you again.

Ultimately this hand will normally play itself, you'll get action if someone has anything, and if they don't - you won't. The important thing is to try and build the pot, make small ish bets that can get called by top/middle pair. There's very little thats going to scare you, so assume your ahead, unless the turn river comes down AA or 78.

This is a nice spot to be in, milk your opponents for all they're worth.
  • edited July 2009
    I will usually bet out here, hope someone has an ace. If they dont you were never going to win a big pot anyway, and if they do, you are building the pot from the off. Check raise looks too suspicious, and someone could get rid of Ax. Check call is giving them oppurtunity to check their Ax on the turn, so not building the pot as much.
  • edited July 2009
    In Response to Re: Flopping a set in an unraised pot:
    I will usually bet out here, hope someone has an ace. If they dont you were never going to win a big pot anyway, and if they do, you are building the pot from the off. Check raise looks too suspicious, and someone could get rid of Ax. Check call is giving them oppurtunity to check their Ax on the turn, so not building the pot as much.
    Posted by OMahonyO
    ^this.