You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

DYM........"Ace rag"?????

HI folks,
Someone was a bit unhappy with this play by myself as i mentioned pot odds as well as it being a good enough hand in the chat box when he was upset with me calling his 4xBB raise with "ace rag". My play was a little reserved on turn as he may have had a set or flush at one stage and then i gave him chance to bet on river as i thought ace must have hit him by then but surely the call with one other caller already is fine. What do you think as i invited him to see what the forum thought but i don't see him involved in it at all?
It may be early but its relatively cheap and can win me a big pot with odds of 3 to 1. I cant honestly understand his grievance or his attitude. He tilted and went out in sixth....silly IMO.

layerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceaces-steSmall blind 25.0025.001345.00profman15Big blind 50.0075.001895.00 Your hole cardsAJ   WAGGO31Fold    rob1nson13Fold    suzy666Fold    
Raise 200.00275.001565.00aces-steCall 175.00450.001170.00profman15Call 150.00600.001745.00Flop  3JA
Call 300.001200.001265.00aces-steFold    Turn  K
Check    River  A
Check    profman15ShowAJ
ShowQQ   profman15WinFull House, Aces and Jacks1200.00 2645.00

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hey Prof, looks like your running good!

Im folding this one pre, im oop its a big % of my stack, you rarely get the right price to draw to your flush or straight draws in dym's, it's a better call in a cash game where we are deeper, john conner wrote an excellent piece on dym's, theres a link here somewhere if you hav nt allready read it, run good!

• edited July 2012
    im 100 per cent folding pre its a dym every chip counts u could easily be dominated so if ace does flop can u really know where u are and most of the time u are not going to hit the flop all about survival dyms just fold let others battle it out u have got lucky here in a mtt i would prob call this but never in a dym 
  • edited July 2012
    hi prof,
    yes i fold pre....
    but then u no how tight i am.   lol
    idcu is right...every chip matters later on.
    play that hand 1000 times over,how many u going 2 win?
    be lucky,
    :)
    dev
  • edited July 2012
    Fold or 3bet jam pre, I would much favour a fold to 3betting. Calling is just horrible here and never an option.
  • edited July 2012
    Good call pre.

Bet the turn.

All-in on river
  • edited July 2012
    tbh only mistakes I see here are you putting on the brakes and oppo 4xing button.

He shouldnt be criticising you but thanking you for letting him off so cheep cheep :p
  • edited July 2012
    Wow...i'd never have thought the concensus was that guys but it would be a boring world if we all did the same and poker wouldn't exist, would it?
    I've read the ABC article which is excellent as well as Moshman's sitngo book too. There were reasons for my play which i see as logical including checking etc late on so i can see that my poker is improving after my ist year anniversary at Sky and indeed poker too.
    Its gone from basic preflop hand, fit/fold and 'guess' from then on in to a bit more considered and 'logical'. Still enjoying it immensely which is the aim, isn't it?
  • edited July 2012

i don't see a raggy ace

• edited July 2012
    I don't see a raggy ace either but I still think it's a fold pre. Once it gets to 25/50, I don't think you can class it as early any more, every 3x and 4x is a big chunk of your stack, you only need to call a couple of them and check/fold and you've put yourself in trouble.

After that though, definitely bet turn and river.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM........"Ace rag"?????:
    I don't see a raggy ace either but I still think it's a fold pre. Once it gets to 25/50, I don't think you can class it as early any more, every 3x and 4x is a big chunk of your stack, you only need to call a couple of them and check/fold and you've put yourself in trouble. After that though, definitely bet turn and river.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes Lambert...its actually level 3 so mid tournament 'officially' to some people. I still saw the opportunity for a nut flush for 150 chips as good value and the odds given, as i was in bb, good too(3 to 1). The attempt was for a nut flush not two pair so i knew i could still be beaten.I didn't bet after the flop for precisely the dym possibilities of a flush or set with my opponent and would have folded a sizeable bet on turn had he wanted to suggest he had flush. When i caught the Ace on river, i wanted him to have the opportunity to bet as i was fairly certain he had an ace by then. It was QQ so he checked which was fine.

I agree totally with the importance of chip stacks but feel that my play was balanced.
    A consensus feel i should fold which was a surprise but thats what the hand was flagged up for...people's opinions. I was just floored at the players comment of "rag ace"...its suited and can give me the nut flush. Maybe the chaps haranging in the chat box was justified in some way but if i'd not hit so well i was in check/fold mould. even TPGK wasn't going t see anymore money from me.

TBH, after being callid AI by someone with 22 on a board with 5 higher cards incl A (i had AA)tonight this chap must have seen worse plays than this. He even had a go at the dealer!!
  • edited July 2012
    wow DYMs is such a tight game - you guys should try playing omaha
    AJs as an occasionally speculative call doesn't seem too bad to me - just not too frequently and part of a mixing it up strategy.
    Having hit hard you then need to milk it for as much as possible to pay for all the times you miss - bet the river for sure.
  • edited July 2012
    Ok, its definately not an Ace rag, so anyone that said that was a muppet you need not listen to anyway, period. In DYM yes can see point in not playing AJ OOP to 4x raise. Other than flop you got or a flush you'd never feel happy with your hand.

As played, I'm ok with the call on the flop, though think a lot of the time I'd raise as its a very draw heavy board. Still as played checking the turn is ok as well. However checking the river is really bad. His check back on the turn means good chance he will check back the river as well unless he has AK or AQ maybe, and even then you never know. Got to bet taht river for value, as with QQ he would call that fair amount of the time, and quite a few other hands as well. So don't give him the option to check behind here ever, as fold or check back you win the same amount as if he folds, so better to try to get some more by betting.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Geldy and Kam

Betting the river is a fair point.... i tried to trap but should have bet something for sure. cheers
  • edited July 2012
    Can you not just shove the big blind here? If not then a call is kinda dodge but as I stated above it's hardly ace rag but a chunk of your stack OOP. Bet river every day of the week however!!
  • edited July 2012
    Can you not just shove the big blind here? If not then a call is kinda dodge but as I stated above it's hardly ace rag but a chunk of your stack OOP. Bet river every day of the week however!!
    Posted by Batkin88
    Hi Batkin
    TBH, with 40BB, shoving here isn't really looked upon as good play, i feel, as the only players to definitely profit will be the other four. Their equity will undoubtedly go up as i will be short or a player will be out. DYM's tend to have a bit of a 'chicken game' late on with lots of AI's but here it's too early IMO. After all he's lowish and may call w/TT+, AQ+ so i could even be behind pre quite easily. I agree to the bet on river but saw him betting by then so slow played. He didn't but the chip gain was ok for the risk taken, IMO.
    I'm not saying its wrong just that i wouldn't do it without a premium hand QQ+ at least at this stage but each to their own...Ha, i may have to now as players may fancy shoving after reading this!.....
  • edited July 2012
    Hey Prof, looks like your running good! Im folding this one pre, im oop its a big % of my stack, you rarely get the right price to draw to your flush or straight draws in dym's, it's a better call in a cash game where we are deeper, john conner wrote an excellent piece on dym's, theres a link here somewhere if you hav nt allready read it, run good!
    Posted by JAM888
    Hey Jam, you got the link to John Connor's blog i can't find it. New to the site so still getting used to it! Thanks!
  • edited July 2012
    Never shove pre here in a dym its really bad and spewy imo

Fold preflop usually.

call is fine, as long as its only to hit diamonds/2 pair against fishy opponants

As played just get as much money in as possible as early as possible...
  • edited July 2012
    Never shove pre here in a dym its really bad and spewy imo Fold preflop usually. call is fine, as long as its only to hit diamonds/2 pair against fishy opponants As played just get as much money in as possible as early as possible...
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Pre??? lol In regards to shoving pre I would mean it as a squeeze and to get rid or them pre! However yes I agree as it is a DYM it is a bad move regardless
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM........"Ace rag"????? : Pre??? lol In regards to shoving pre I would mean it as a squeeze and to get rid or them pre! However yes I agree as it is a DYM it is a bad move regardless
    Posted by Batkin88
    No, i mean after hittin top 2 pair
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: DYM........"Ace rag"????? : No, i mean after hittin top 2 pair
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    I was being sarcastic Mr Hogg :)
  • edited July 2012

Personally I can't see anything wrong with the hand as you played it.  Only fold pre if you have a very good read on your oppo and never fold after that flop

• edited July 2012
    Personally I can't see anything wrong with the hand as you played it.  Only fold pre if you have a very good read on your oppo and never fold after that flop
    Posted by cenachav
    Nice one 'Cena' ....now tell me you're a big winning DYM player and i'll be doubly chuffed!!!
    TBH i really thought i'd done absolutely the right thing by looking for the nut flush or two pair. I was surprised at my opponent but, some opinions lead me to think he had a point, though small IMO.
  • edited July 2012
    Used to be a decent DYM player but have had to cut right down on them for various reasons, some of them not connected with sky!