You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE?

edited September 2012 in Area 51
Not sure if a moderator will take a disliking to this thread, but what are people's thoughts on the theory that some online sites, and specifically the one I will just refer to as the big one is 'rigged' in a specific way so that in MTT's short stacks lose all ins more often that they should do based on their equity and odds vs their opponents holding at the time of getting it all in (the theory being that this speeds up the tournaments and gets those players out and paying rake on the next tournment entry quicker)?
Before anybody starts directing any abuse at me and calling me a paranoid idiot etc I would like to point out I am by nature a very rationally minded and skeptical person, and I always aproach any kind of 'conspiracy theory' from this mindset and do not believe anything for which sufficient evidence cannot be provided.
But I have seen some things playing these huge MTT's that has been messing with my head (sp many ridiculous river beats favouring the big stack, big stacks hitting their one outers so many times and the feelng of just knowing my pocket Aces are gonna get cracked to whatever big stack calls my pre flop all in).
One of the reasons why I like playing on Sky is that because of its visibility with the TV Channel I tend to have 100% confidence in it - and could of course never imagine dear old Tikay would be involved with a site that is doing anything that's not 100% fair and genuine!
What I would really like is for someone to be able to relieve me of my skepticism over others sites, because it sure ruins your enjoyment of playing an MTT when you are cursed with that nagging thought in the back of your head that the site is gonna see to it you are busted and there's nothing you can do about it (I don't want to believe this as a way to avoid responsibility for my exit, I want to know with 100% confidence that I am playing genuine odds and concentrate on making the best decisions based on my equity etc in circumstances which I know are fair with a genuine RNG).

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Hi Matt8     I see from your avatar you joined Sky Poker recently. This question regard RNG authenticity has been aired many times before by players with good knowledge in the technical side of the In's and outs regarding fairness and randomness of RNGs. The problems with offshore Regulation and certification.   Don't expect to many to come rushing in to discuss. !

Most Thread were closed down because the words cheating and manipulation were used against this site. What I personally glean from reading these threads was, that the RNG was not the best in the World or the most up to date in the latest technology,  that it can be tweaked, when certain patterns pop up ; like AA always losing to 7-2 or other combinations. This is my view, and in my view any tweaking is done to keep players working out the combinations thus keeping it fair as physically possible for all players.  Also the overall opinion was ...................    

1.  If you do not trust the site to be honest and fair.     Don't Play.

2.  If you think that the RNG is manipulated in the way you suggest to be unfair    Then don't Play.

3.  If you cant handle Variance.   Don't Play.

4.  If you can't afford to lose your Money.  Don't Play.  

We have all harboured these thoughts at some time when we've played it perfect and the miracle one outer appears to knock us out.  Also I found it very difficult to get rid of the short stack who keeps on doubling up. ? But when I'm short stack.! Mmm I see what you mean.?

My answer,   HUG a loved one. !

Fwiw  Annie xx           

• edited July 2012

When we are short and get our chips in (ahead or behind) we think nothing of it when we win. Equally, this is the case when we see someone else at the table is in this situation. However, when we get our chips in good and lose we feel a certain sense of injustice, some more than others. Thats a fact. Everyone does it, its human nature. What is also in our nature is to notice and remember the hands when we or someone else got our/there money in ahead and lost. Everyone can remember there worst beat/biggest cooler but would struggle to recall the time when they one outerd someone. Simply, its human nature, we can't help it.

I'm going slightly of topic so back to your point. I think its simply due to the fact that 'short stacks' are all in on a regular basis and often with marginal/weak holdings, which will lead to lighter calls, therefore we are going to see are large number of 60/40 and standard flip hands.

On your point regarding a 'genuine' RNG, I'm not sure one can ever exist. IMO an RNG can never be truly random.

• edited July 2012
    do you believe they put a man on the Moon?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE?:
    Posted by oynutter
    Yes,  because I watched it through my Opera Glasses.
  • edited July 2012
    Posted by oynutter
    Yes and in 1000 years the moon will be a theme park.  Just see the second episode of the documentary Futurama if you don't believe me
  • edited July 2012
    if you give me a quid for every post that states "the small stack always seem to win"

and i give you a quid for every one that states"the big stack always seems to win"

we would be pretty even imo
  • edited July 2012
    http://youtu.be/gt7mtdLha-c

All the homes that we were building We never lived in Could be better, should be better Lessons in love

If we lose the time before us The future will ignore us We should use it, we could use it, yeah Lessons in love Lost without love

i play 4-2 strongly now and my game has much improved.

you geddit ?
  • edited July 2012
    my wife just brought a blue corsa, since she had it, she tells me "there are loads of blue corsas on the road"
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE?:
    Not sure if a moderator will take a disliking to this thread, but what are people's thoughts on the theory that some online sites, and specifically the one I will just refer to as the big one is 'rigged' in a specific way so that in MTT's short stacks lose all ins more often that they should do based on their equity and odds vs their opponents holding at the time of getting it all in (the theory being that this speeds up the tournaments and gets those players out and paying rake on the next tournment entry quicker)? Before anybody starts directing any abuse at me and calling me a paranoid idiot etc I would like to point out I am by nature a very rationally minded and skeptical person, and I always aproach any kind of 'conspiracy theory' from this mindset and do not believe anything for which sufficient evidence cannot be provided. But I have seen some things playing these huge MTT's that has been messing with my head (sp many ridiculous river beats favouring the big stack, big stacks hitting their one outers so many times and the feelng of just knowing my pocket Aces are gonna get cracked to whatever big stack calls my pre flop all in). One of the reasons why I like playing on Sky is that because of its visibility with the TV Channel I tend to have 100% confidence in it - and could of course never imagine dear old Tikay would be involved with a site that is doing anything that's not 100% fair and genuine! What I would really like is for someone to be able to relieve me of my skepticism over others sites, because it sure ruins your enjoyment of playing an MTT when you are cursed with that nagging thought in the back of your head that the site is gonna see to it you are busted and there's nothing you can do about it (I don't want to believe this as a way to avoid responsibility for my exit, I want to know with 100% confidence that I am playing genuine odds and concentrate on making the best decisions based on my equity etc in circumstances which I know are fair with a genuine RNG).
    Posted by MATT8
    hi matt8 was going to say a lot in reply but thought better of it:)) my advice is make sure you have a big stack at the tail end of the game and that should  put you in a better position to win:))
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by oynutter

there's a moon?

• edited August 2012
    if you give me a quid for every post that states "the small stack always seem to win" and i give you a quid for every one that states"the big stack always seems to win" we would be pretty even imo
    Posted by DAVEYZZ
    true..

but...

the better player will generally have a bigger stack more often.  so i think there will be a slight skew towards the big stack/better player.

other stats...

in a 500 runner tournament there will be 499 players exiting in a showdown and on each and every occasion they will exit when they are the shorter stack.

it's not a surprise that people see this correlation but it is a surprise that people turn it around and see something else.

• edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE? : true.. but... the better player will generally have a bigger stack more often.  so i think there will be a slight skew towards the big stack/better player. other stats... in a 500 runner tournament there will be 499 players exiting in a showdown and on each and every occasion they will exit when they are the shorter stack. it's not a surprise that people see this correlation but it is a surprise that people turn it around and see something else.  
    Posted by aussie09

Well when you put it like that, it makes sense... my brain can cope with that. Thanks Aussie.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE? : Well when you put it like that, it makes sense... my brain can cope with that. Thanks Aussie.
    Posted by Oopnorth

lol... so funny oopnorth

• edited August 2012
    the more you go all in in a MTT then the chance of you being elimated increases - varaince

so short stacks have only a short life expectancy, unless you run like god

why do I visist Area 51 :s
  • edited August 2012
    By getting it in as/vs a shorstack there is obv an inherant risk that isnt as present with other spots, the fact that all 5 cards are coming off regardless. 

(Unless you run like I have been lately and flop the nuts as the shorty and end up chopping 3way on the river :P)
  • edited August 2012
    i find it gives you a 1 time when your a shorty with any 2 cards and you always hit a st8 with 10 2 off after that your on your own. But i end up being the big stack who calls the short stacks after playing better than most the whole game and i go out cos i end up calling about 10 players who hit there 1 time hand :(
  • edited August 2012

short stacked (but with enough to keep me in the game) went All-in with AK suited - called by the chip leader with 8-2.
    Flop: 6-7-9 Turn: 5
    Happens over and over again on this site - but, what really bugs me is the muppets that call with such rubbish and get rewarded.
    RNG:
    What RNG?

• edited August 2012
    My girlfriend (Llamas) won a tournament a couple of weeks ago and when she was down to the final 5-6players she had 3BB.... the Sky rigged machine must have been broke that night then eh ;)
  • edited August 2012
    short stacked (but with enough to keep me in the game) went All-in with AK suited - called by the chip leader with 8-2. Flop: 6-7-9 Turn: 5 Happens over and over again on this site - but, what really bugs me is the muppets that call with such rubbish and get rewarded. RNG: What RNG?
    Posted by somer
    Wow proof at last

What do you expect the rng to do, throw out boards where AK always holds v 82, even though 82 should win around 1/3 of time
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE? : Wow proof at last What do you expect the rng to do, throw out boards where AK always holds v 82, even though 82 should win around 1/3 of time
    Posted by grantorino
    if it had never happened before then I would have not posted - the clue was "it happens a lot" I have lost count of the number of times so called poker players play rubbish and come up smelling of roses - 82 should win around 1/3 of the time - well, is that right! so what's the stats for a chip leader playing 8-2 and getting 5 6 7 9?
    dont tell me - pure coincidence. lol, what do you expect the rng to do? well, I know its a bit radical but I thought maybe mmm..... generate random cards!
  • edited August 2012

No the stats arent pure coincidence. The odds of any specific board will be very low, but he has quite a good chance of beating you when money goes in pre, prob better than 1/3 , find a poker odds calculator if you want exact figures

THings that have a small chance happen sometimes. Preflop in poker you are rarely better than 80%, you are often a lot less, so the worst hand will improve to win quite a lot

gl

• edited September 2012
    In Response to Re: ALL IN AS A SHORT STACK - DO YOU HAVE A FAIR CHANCE? : if it had never happened before then I would have not posted - the clue was "it happens a lot" I have lost count of the number of times so called poker players play rubbish and come up smelling of roses - 82 should win around 1/3 of the time - well, is that right! so what's the stats for a chip leader playing 8-2 and getting 5 6 7 9? dont tell me - pure coincidence. lol, what do you expect the rng to do? well, I know its a bit radical but I thought maybe mmm..... generate random cards!
    Posted by somer
    Moral of the story is... start folding AK and start jamming with 82o... see how far you go in MTTs that way :)
  • edited September 2012
    It is more than 30%, as much as 37.1% if his 82 is suited.

My guess..... he was big blind and you you had so few chips he had to call.  It's just poker, stop crying about it, move on to the next one and run better!
  • edited September 2012
    It is more than 30%, as much as 37.1% if his 82 is suited. My guess..... he was big blind and you you had so few chips he had to call.  It's just poker, stop crying about it, move on to the next one and run better!
    Posted by Slykllist
    It's just poker, stop crying about it.......... yeah thanks, must just be my imagination - its just poker.
    jeez - there are none so blind.
  • edited September 2012

We've all done it with a big stack. Called the shorty with any 2 cards and won. You barely remember it if you win or lose because it does little damage or benefit to your chip stack.

But when you've sat hanging on with your short stack, get your chips in with a good starting hand and get busted on the river (it's alwyas the river?) it hurts and you remember it more.

You notice it more even when your not involved in the hand, maybe because you feel sorry for the poor bloke or just glad it wasn't you.

If you believe it's rigged on that site don't play there and spend more time on sky poker. That sort of thing never happens here. 

• edited September 2012
    it seems to happen alot more on sky poker  then other sites, okay vareince is fair and the fav wont always win but i see so many crazy things happen and its usually involved the short stack losing, suspicious ......
  • edited September 2012
    it seems to happen alot more on sky poker  then other sites, okay vareince is fair and the fav wont always win but i see so many crazy things happen and its usually involved the short stack losing, suspicious ......
    Posted by robbie1992

All-in with 5-2.Flop: 3-4-6What’s the odds all you experts? And…….. Why would you go AL with 5-2.
  • edited September 2012
    The odds of 346 flop same as KJ7,  TJ4 etc