You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

can anyone explain why you would call with this?

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
jenars Small blind  300.00 300.00 5550.00
JJ673 Big blind  600.00 900.00 18910.00
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

katoch Call  600.00 1500.00 4940.00
ALEX29 Fold     
conorccfc Fold     
martin1949 Fold     
jenars Raise  2100.00 3600.00 3450.00
JJ673 Fold     
katoch All-in  4940.00 8540.00 0.00
jenars All-in  3450.00 11990.00 0.00
jenars Unmatched bet  310.00 11680.00 310.00
jenars Show
  • K
  • K

katoch Show

Flop

Turn

River

katoch Win Straight to the 10 11680.00  11680.00
ive never moaned about losing before but this was on the bubble why would anyone call this ?  sometimes it makes you want to pack it all in !!!!!

Comments

• edited November 2009
      Two points on this hand.

Firstly it was you who called not your opponent.

Secondly it looks to me like the guy made a squeeze play and just chose the wrong time to do it and then got lucky.

There is a lot of bullying that goes on around the bubble time and if he put you as a bully then he was not out of line to shove back at you.In and around the bubble time a lot of stealing goes on and your raise could easily be seen as this.

I do not think the guy made the worst play going as your raise gave him only 2 choices shove or fold. You just have to remember that people do not know how strong you are until you turn your cards over. And as it happens preflop you were only about 3 to 1 favourite to win the hand which is probably not as big a favourite as you thought.This is just one of those situations where the guy made a mistimed play and got lucky. It happens we just have to take the hit and move on. If we keep getting our chips in ahead then we will come out fine overall but anomolies like this occur.
  • edited November 2009
    limp UTG to then shove all in to a raise stinks of AA, KK.. I think your folding 95% of hands there and he just timed it wrong with what you had. Nice play by him in my opinion, and he knew if he did get called unless you had a big PP (which you did) he would have live cards.
  • edited November 2009
    With that stack why didn't you just shove PF?
  • edited November 2009
    Bitter Pill 2 swallow, I should kno I have a whole medicine cabnet full.

NO OFFENCE 2 ANY OTHER POSTS HERE

im not gonna tell u what u did wrong or how u should have played, i understand that someties u just wanna have a rant (I do loads just ask around)

U were very unlucky and Im sorry 2 hear
  • edited November 2009
    9 X BB left.

Shove first is your only option preflop.

He tried to steal your raise wilth an all in.

With the size of the blinds and your stack, there is no room for dancing.

However, I am surprised he tried to bluff you on the cash bubble, especially as you had 40% of your stack invested, you were too far down that road to fold kings.

Perhaps it was because of the bubble, he felt you may fold to pressure just to limp in to the cash.

A shove first would have given him no option but to fold.
  • edited November 2009
    u  should  have  pushed    preflop    instead  u  let  him  see  a  cheap   flop  with  his   suited  connectors    and  he  hit    top pair    then  a str8 
  • edited November 2009
    your raise smells like a steal. All in with those dynamics and he folds. That's my twopennath anyway.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain why you would call with this?:
    limp UTG to then shove all in to a raise stinks of AA, KK.. I think your folding 95% of hands there and he just timed it wrong with what you had. Nice play by him in my opinion, and he knew if he did get called unless you had a big PP (which you did) he would have live cards.
    Posted by FlashFlush
    I doubt the OP is past level 1 else he wouldnt be making this thread anyway.
  • edited November 2009
    u  should  have  pushed    preflop    instead  u  let  him  see  a  cheap   flop  with  his   suited  connectors    and  he  hit    top pair    then  a str8 
    Posted by scrumdown
    There wasnt a cheap flop all the chips were in the middle before the flop, but yes id have gone all in first as well
  • edited November 2009

"And as it happens preflop you were only about 3 to 1 favourite to win the hand"
    Posted by Talon

Just to be super pedantic, you were 78.61%, he was 20.97% and the split pot was 0.42% pre flop.

So you were nearly 4 to 1 favourite, the rest of what Talon says is spot on.
  • edited November 2009
    To be honest i think you got unlucky here it appears to me that the guy was planning this move regardless of whoever raised representing extreme strength unlucky for you that you woke up with the hand he was preparing to represent but i tend to lean towards the shove all in preflop therefore removing the option for him to try his squeeze play which i can only believe is what it was intended to be he couldnt have believed he was ahead imo you got unlucky perhaps given the same chance you would given your stack size put it all in then that will ask the question rathe rthan letting someone else ask you good luck i hope it helps
  • edited November 2009
    your raise smells like a steal. All in with those dynamics and he folds. That's my twopennath anyway.
    Posted by labrat64
    Disagree.

A raise looks super strong with that small a stack.

All-in would look more of a steal.

It is a horrendous move from the UTG limper due to stack sizes. If it was a deeper game then yes the move could work and fold out some hands but at the end of the day the raiser isn't going to fold to this play as he is committed.

So he is jamming it with 9 high knowing he is going to get called.
  • edited November 2009
    Put you on AK.

/explained
  • edited November 2009
    THINK HE TOTALY MISREAD YOU AND GOT LUCKY, ALTHOUGH I AGREE WITH THE GENERAL OPINION HERE SHOVE FIRST ASK QUESTIONS LATER AND HES MORE THAN LIKELY FOLDING AND YOUR 2.5 BBS UP.
    WHAT TOURNIMENT WAS IT i.e TYPE/BUY IN
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: can anyone explain why you would call with this? : Disagree. A raise looks super strong with that small a stack. All-in would look more of a steal. It is a horrendous move from the UTG limper due to stack sizes. If it was a deeper game then yes the move could work and fold out some hands but at the end of the day the raiser isn't going to fold to this play as he is committed. So he is jamming it with 9 high knowing he is going to get called.
    Posted by CLIOKID
    thanks for all the replies,

Totally agree CLIOKID this is just how i played it. I couldnt believe it when he called with 9 high.

BADBOY985   it was £300 guaranteed and £10 buy in.

thanks
  • edited November 2009
    just some people feel like calling and then they hit lol....