You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

adjusting to stakes

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi guys and gals me again. Having a downswing in my cash game atm examining my hand history im fairly certain i am playing well just a successive run of bad beats, coolers and a imo opinion 1 well played bluff which was my 1st 3bet light(ish) and cost me heavy (i'll post at the bottom so you can laugh about it) you know the drill. The difference for me now is that having slowly risen through the stakes from nl8 to nl30 in the last 2 months the amount money i am playing for is alot different now which is great on the good days but its seems like a hell of alot of money to lose on the bad days im down 6 BI not the end of the world bbut thats £180 which is alot of money to me. Any tips for detaching from the money value to just "play" money if you know what i mean. It has started to effect my play i havent tilted in a long time since i started taking the game seriously but after losing 2 BI set over set and allin for oppo to spike gutshot on river in the space of 2 mins of each other i found my self spew off my nice chip stack in the £11 BH i satted into at 2 in about 5 mins which can only be described as Lag playing at its worst lol

Should i not be playing stakes if i can;t detach myself from the amount of money being played for? any thoughts from anyone who has been through similar would be great.

Not a big one for bluffing usually but tried here, the villian didnt seem stationy untill this hand did i play it badly? trying to rep aa/kk or ak after the flop he promptly ran off after this hand so no chance to win it back
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
damrack Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £18.97
daragh1980 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £34.88
  Your hole cards

3581118313 Raise   £0.60 £1.05 £74.51
jams88 Raise   £1.80 £2.85 £30.46
CrazyBen23 Fold        
damrack Call   £1.65 £4.50 £17.32
daragh1980 Fold        
3581118313 Call   £1.20 £5.70 £73.31
Flop

• K

damrack Check        
3581118313 Bet   £2.85 £8.55 £70.46
jams88 Raise   £8.40 £16.95 £22.06
damrack Fold        
3581118313 Call   £5.55 £22.50 £64.91
Turn

3581118313 Check        
jams88 All-in   £22.06 £44.56 £0.00
3581118313 Call   £22.06 £66.62 £42.85
3581118313 Show
  • K

jams88 Show

River

• Q

3581118313 Win Pair of Kings £64.82   £107.67

Comments

• edited July 2012
    1) surprised villain in the hand.
    2) IMO if you lose a BI have a long rest before going for another. It does affect me when I lose one and end up trying too hard to recoup losses and playing marginal hands-a bit like the villain above.
    Try leaving tables for at least an hour and cool off before going for another buy in. Best of luck.
  • edited July 2012

He played it like a station and unfortunately he hit top pair useless kicker which is the nuts right?

I feel a bit sick for you tbh. Regarding detatching yourself from the money, what worked for me was.

1) Turn off showing your BR in top corner

2) When playing try not to see it as money but as chips like a tournament.

3) Don't play stakes which are out of your BR, try to follow the 20 buy in rule or deeper.

4) If you have money issues outside of poker, don't play poker. (This is from one of my closest friends experience in the game,  which led to him getting in a masive downward spiral)

5) If you get angry, annoyed or frustrated take 5 mins get a glass of water then come back.

6) If there are better things that you could spend your money on i.e yourself , children or partners then do that and then play with the money that is left. I once played to earn money for my wedding, I got to 2k then 3k and all the way up to 8.5k in total through 3 sites and then a few days before I was to withdraw a site went under costing me 4k (that was nice) then I went onto a roulette table with 500 euros i ended up withdrawing £2.8 k because I had no BR management. (I'm still saving for that wedding)

• edited July 2012
    think if your going to bluff in these spot you have to choose an opponent you know can fold and know when they are beat vs this opponent think they call 3bet see the flop then hit top pair bad kicker and decided from then they aint folding.

he obv just thinking of his cards not yours but your play is very strong just ul he was a bit fishy imo but hey ho its his money lol.

also regarding the money involved when i was playing up to 50n just before xmas last year try not to think of it in pounds at the table think more like how many bbs you won or lost and just keep doing the right things and you will be fine.

played you a few times at 10nl and think you were a good solid player so imo think you will do fine at these levels
  • edited July 2012
    Dont bluff unknowns.

Play looser versus most regs at these levels, alot will fold and if they dont they probably have the nuts.

Tight ABC versus unknowns and attack regs more with 3 bets, reraises etc.

Be prepared to adapt to regs perception of you. Some regs never get it in with less than sets, overpairs etc. so can be bullied of a wide range of hands.

Play tight at start and take notes on regs.
  • edited July 2012
    the bluff was played against someone who had been an okish player i think they had decided this is going to be my last hand whatever happens so im going to go with it sigh

im not struggling too much to play this level i keep getting my money in ahead or horribly coolered of the 8BI i am down now i believe i have only spewed of 3 due to bad play and when you factor in the hands i have won have probably lost about 20 BI last 2 days but have won a few back its just a constant down not to have a winning session. Saying that i have just had another losing "happy hour" so have to drop back down to nl20 untill i win another couple of BI my final 2 losing hands at this level posted below i know they are coolers just makes me feel slightly better to vent sorry to waste anyones time.

I should probably explain this isnt money i need as i havent deposited on the site for 2months when i thought i would take a crack at playing proeprly with good BRM ect having played nl4-10 for a couple of years and small tournys as a purely recreational player sometimes its worrying the amount of money changing  hands where i am now. I still have a job and doing ok for money in real life if not great was hoping this could be a small earner on the side nothing more.

I think i need to rap my head around it more in terms of Bigblinds rather than money to play optimally as i sometimes find myself trying to think of what to value bet the river when it should be a shove im think to myself well £15 is alot of money i'll try 8ish better chance of getting called rather than less than a pot sized bet shove is fine

Must run better
    jams88 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £64.00
    The_Duk3 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £62.90
      Your hole cards

mozza587 Call   £0.30 £0.75 £5.91
    nin777 Fold        
    shawsok Fold        
    jd44 Raise   £1.20 £1.95 £27.69
    jams88 Call   £1.05 £3.00 £62.95
    The_Duk3 Call   £0.90 £3.90 £62.00
    mozza587 Fold        
    Flop

jams88 Check        
    The_Duk3 Check        
    jd44 Bet   £2.40 £6.30 £25.29
    jams88 Call   £2.40 £8.70 £60.55
    The_Duk3 Fold        
    Turn

jams88 Check        
    jd44 Bet   £5.70 £14.40 £19.59
    jams88 Raise   £12.30 £26.70 £48.25
    jd44 All-in   £19.59 £46.29 £0.00
    jams88 Call   £12.99 £59.28 £35.26
    jams88 Show

jd44 Show

River

• J

jd44 Win Straight to the Jack £57.48   £57.48
    bigcinek16 Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £23.36
    matt123466 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £23.10
      Your hole cards
    • J

bolly580 Fold        
    jd44 Fold        
    Jason007 Fold        
    jams88 Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £31.33
    bigcinek16 Call   £0.75 £2.10 £22.61
    matt123466 Fold        
    Flop

bigcinek16 Bet   £2.10 £4.20 £20.51
    jams88 Call   £2.10 £6.30 £29.23
    Turn

bigcinek16 Bet   £3.60 £9.90 £16.91
    jams88 Raise   £7.50 £17.40 £21.73
    bigcinek16 Call   £3.90 £21.30 £13.01
    River

bigcinek16 All-in   £13.01 £34.31 £0.00
    jams88 Call   £13.01 £47.32 £8.72
    bigcinek16 Show
    • K

jams88 Show
    • J

bigcinek16 Win Three 9s £45.52   £45.52
  • edited July 2012
    Horrible bluff on hand one. TBH seems like before you had even been dealt your cards you just decided to try and bluff for the no other reason than to.... well....... bluff!
  • edited July 2012
    You deserve to lose in hand 2 for turning your hand completly face up, wd you.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes:
    You deserve to lose in hand 2 for turning your hand completly face up, wd you.
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    how so?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : how so?
    Posted by jams88
    Well lol.. pretend someone else posted it and covered their cards, look at the action in the hand and tell me what range of hands you'd think they'd have
  • edited July 2012
    If you dont feel comfortable playing 30nl just stay at 20nl or which ever one your most comfortable with and keep taking shots at higher levels.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : Well lol.. pretend someone else posted it and covered their cards, look at the action in the hand and tell me what range of hands you'd think they'd have
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    In fairness he played this the same as hand 3.. (Flat call flop, min raise turn). I think his line was fine with 10 10 just need to look at bet / raise sizing in relation to stacks.

Not sure about raising turn with J9 when we pick up the flush draw, TP still has value and can still get it in on riv if it comes a heart.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : how so?
    Posted by jams88

As crazyben seems devoid of people skills, I will add my two penneth, im probably 3 betting pre here to around £3.60. 

Thinking about his range, 2 pair , set or flopped str8 are not unreasonable without knowing your opponent. Its a cooler.  

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : As crazyben seems devoid of people skills, I will add my two penneth, im probably 3 betting pre here to around £3.60.  Thinking about his range, 2 pair , set or flopped str8 are not unreasonable without knowing your opponent. Its a cooler.  
    Posted by ACEGOONER
    lol and you seem devoid of poker skills
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : lol and you seem devoid of poker skills
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    made me lol after a bad session, ty!

he's devoid of football supporting skills too!
  • ybyb
    edited July 2012
    hand 1 is a bit of a train wreck tbh, hand 2 i like the flat pre oop but i'd rather either raise flop or c/c down.

in hand 3 i don't really get why you raise turn, you have a hand with good equity and s/d value as well, it's not like you can really expect to get him to fold better
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : lol and you seem devoid of poker skills
    Posted by CrazyBen23
    LOL ok mr ive crushed nl40/50 but wont take on the big guys. Your attitude shows how seriously deluded you are. The OP asked a valid question, didnt ask to be insulted but you cant help yourself.

I do ok but dont boast about it, and dont go round with a chip on my shoulder on twitter. I've seen some of the rubbish you spout not even funny.
  • edited July 2012

I love forum banter!

Hand 1 is well you probably know yourself, you are bluffing a station ... not good :(

Hand 2: Is a cooler, crazyben is talking complete ball if he isn't swayed by seeing the result, fwiw post without results!!!

Hand 3: Are you raising the turn for value or as a bluff?? IMO you should flat here as you have showdown equity and loads of outs if you are behind, but by raising you are folding out the hands worse and losing your customer who isn't crushing you the majority of the time.

Going back to hand 2 with crazyben, are you folding this turn or flatting the turn like a pro? (Or quickly assess the hand history and say you are raising to £8 pre so he can't call and hit his straight)

• edited July 2012
    I love forum banter! Hand 1 is well you probably know yourself, you are bluffing a station ... not good :( Hand 2: Is a cooler, crazyben is talking complete ball if he isn't swayed by seeing the result, fwiw post without results!!! Hand 3: Are you raising the turn for value or as a bluff?? IMO you should flat here as you have showdown equity and loads of outs if you are behind, but by raising you are folding out the hands worse and losing your customer who isn't crushing you the majority of the time. Going back to hand 2 with crazyben, are you folding this turn or flatting the turn like a pro? (Or quickly assess the hand history and say you are raising to £8 pre so he can't call and hit his straight)
    Posted by Batkin88

Its not even banter tbh, its just a very rude boy not having basic manners. This is a poker clinic where your supposed to help educate players who have less experience playing the game develop. Not rant about how bad they played the hand. 

• edited July 2012
    lol at the 88 hand, that may aswell have been 72 off suit, u were gonna bluff whatever the flop it seems. 

If you gonna tilt my advice would be to join my table and spew off to me.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: adjusting to stakes : LOL ok mr ive crushed nl40/50 but wont take on the big guys. Your attitude shows how seriously deluded you are. The OP asked a valid question, didnt ask to be insulted but you cant help yourself. I do ok but dont boast about it, and dont go round with a chip on my shoulder on twitter. I've seen some of the rubbish you spout not even funny.
    Posted by ACEGOONER

OOOOH whats his twitter name?????
  • edited July 2012
    Agree some of his twitter rants are riduculous.....needlessly mean.
  • edited July 2012
    hand 1 is a bit of a train wreck tbh, hand 2 i like the flat pre oop but i'd rather either raise flop or c/c down. in hand 3 i don't really get why you raise turn, you have a hand with good equity and s/d value as well, it's not like you can really expect to get him to fold better
    Posted by yb

I agree with all of this really esp last bit.

Reg crazyben saying you played Hand2 face up, well that is irrelevant a lot of the time unless you are playing a good reg and even then when you do pull the trigger its sometimes hard not show that you are strong. All you can do to prevent "showing your hand face up" is to be able to make moves and in general being the aggressor works, so a three bet pre would be probably better in hand2.

Also its really hard to put someone on a single hand so you don't want to worry about it too much unless you are playing crazyben ovc lol :P
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to adjusting to stakes:
    Hi guys and gals me again. Having a downswing in my cash game atm examining my hand history im fairly certain i am playing well just a successive run of bad beats, coolers and a imo opinion 1 well played bluff which was my 1st 3bet light(ish) and cost me heavy (i'll post at the bottom so you can laugh about it) you know the drill. The difference for me now is that having slowly risen through the stakes from nl8 to nl30 in the last 2 months the amount money i am playing for is alot different now which is great on the good days but its seems like a hell of alot of money to lose on the bad days im down 6 BI not the end of the world bbut thats £180 which is alot of money to me. Any tips for detaching from the money value to just "play" money if you know what i mean. It has started to effect my play i havent tilted in a long time since i started taking the game seriously but after losing 2 BI set over set and allin for oppo to spike gutshot on river in the space of 2 mins of each other i found my self spew off my nice chip stack in the £11 BH i satted into at 2 in about 5 mins which can only be described as Lag playing at its worst lol Should i not be playing stakes if i can;t detach myself from the amount of money being played for? any thoughts from anyone who has been through similar would be great. Not a big one for bluffing usually but tried here, the villian didnt seem stationy untill this hand did i play it badly? trying to rep aa/kk or ak after the flop he promptly ran off after this hand so no chance to win it back

only play stakes where u feel it isnt a lot of money, no rules, u just need to 'feel' comfortable, theres talk on ere about keeping 20BI bankroll, but i suggest 50BI's!

• edited July 2012
    Using 25 as a rule atm so have had to drop back down to nl20 a couple of times win some and move back up. Getting better at coping with the swings at nl30 still struggle abit after a bad session this time last month at nl10 to drop £100 of my BR in a seesion would have been a disaster here it is just a normal swing bit of a scary adjust