You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Micro stake cash table hand help...

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Just layed down on the river on this hand. I felt there wasn't the value to call and was baffled as to what he had. What do I change about how I play this hand please...

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
delfunkdjSmall blind £0.02£0.02£4.92
The_ThingBig blind £0.04£0.06£3.60
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

gyginner05Call £0.04£0.10£2.84
davidker17Call £0.04£0.14£1.24
MrTurner6Raise £0.16£0.30£4.66
delfunkdjFold    
The_ThingFold    
gyginner05Call £0.12£0.42£2.72
davidker17Call £0.12£0.54£1.12
Flop

gyginner05Check    
davidker17Check    
MrTurner6Check    
Turn

• K

gyginner05Bet £0.04£0.58£2.68
davidker17Fold    
MrTurner6Call £0.04£0.62£4.62
River

gyginner05Check    
MrTurner6Bet £0.27£0.89£4.35
gyginner05All-in £2.68£3.57£0.00
MrTurner6Fold    
gyginner05Muck    
gyginner05Win £1.07 £1.07
Oh and to add I had been playing quite aggressive for first 15 mins then had cooled down £1 and a bit up for the 10 mins leading to this hand if that helps.

Comments

• edited July 2012
    You gotta change all your preconceptions about cash poker at 4NL.

I don't think it's terrible to fold but some of the players at this level, it's perfectly believable he has 2 random clubs, missed his flush and just doesn't wanna let the pot go, or got a K with a rubbish kicker, or possibly even a 9, or some random PP.

To be fair though, when you don't do any betting, you only have yourself to blame for this.

16p is a bit too small pre, I make it 20p standard if I'm 1st into the pot, even more if theres limpers, so make it about 28p. Then you flop the nut flush draw, definitely c-bet somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 pot. Then when you hit the K, you're betting for value, again about 3/4 pot.

If you'd done this, you'd never be in that horrible river spot because he'd have either folded or you've already got most/all of his money in the pot.
  • edited July 2012
    Raises more pre. Bet flop. Bet turn. Bet river. :)
  • edited July 2012
    Raise more pre to tax the 2 limpers im making it about 24p personally. Bet the flop you have a flush draw and 2 overs apart from the fact your hand is probably still good you are still marginal favourite against any 1 pair hand (excluding aa or kk). Raise turn you now have top pair Top kicker and have got next to no more moeny in the pot. shove river

As played folding river is fine imo as he may have been playing a 7 i think i still call myself because i am spewy and this is the only bet some people know at these stakes to bluff.

Basically you need to be growing the pot considerablly at the points that you are extremly likely to be ahead in the hand pre, on flop on and on turn which had it played out like this would have set you up nicely for a river shove leaving you with no tricky descions
  • edited July 2012
    Ok thanks, I haven't really played much cash and am only playing out of boredom before I go bed because I dont want to end up in a marathon double up. The guy had been chasing a lot against me in previous hands then layed down on the river. After just taking £3.35 off the same player using the tips above I guess he probably had a king in that hand because he just called and called and called with second pair on a weak board. Learning slowly but surely one hand at a time, thanks :)
  • edited July 2012
    lambert got it spot on as to how i would have played it.

28p pre, 1bb per limper plus my standard 5x
    cbet flop about 3/4 pot
    cant quite see stack sizes but if you had done the above you could shove turn setting them allin.

as played its a horrid spot on the river, can understand the fold
  • edited July 2012
    I started on like £4.20, he was about £1 lighter I think. So main points raise bigger pre and put more continuation bets in. Got it, thanks :)
  • edited July 2012
    Read DOHHHHHHH's blog
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Micro stake cash table hand help...:
    I started on like £4.20, he was about £1 lighter I think. So main points raise bigger pre and put more continuation bets in. Got it, thanks :)
    Posted by MrTurner6
    Only cbet at nl4 if you hit, have a strong draw or you know opponant is capable of folding bottom pair or similar Cbetting every pot you raise pre when you miss may cost you at nl4 as people will call with any 2