You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Retro Computer Games

edited July 2012 in The Shed

Some discussions on another thread about retro computer games (Street Fighter II) got us thinking - what was your favourite game from yester-year?

Who will be the first to discuss 'Jet Set Willy'? If you've never heard of it, dont worry, it's not what it sounds like it might be!

Comments

• edited July 2012

I was a fan of playing "Willy" as a kid....

However I spent most of my time bashing it out on Daley Thompson's Decathlon.......

I think we went through 2 Spectrums because of over zealous hurdles...

Q A O P  AND SPACE TO FIRE........  Ahhh The Memories....
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Retro Computer Games:
    I was a fan of playing "Willy" as a kid.... However I spent most of my time bashing it out on Daley Thompson's Decathlon....... I think we went through 2 Spectrums because of over zealous 100 Meters... Q A O P  AND SPACE TO FIRE........  Ahhh The Memories....
    Posted by MyZo
    On the Spectrum in was N & M that 'died' first, especially from the 400m in Daley Thompsons decathlon! Ironically the 1,500m was much easier.
  • edited July 2012

Easily the hardest event was the high jump - it was rock hard!
  • edited July 2012

Which character did you choose in Street Figher II?
  • edited July 2012
    Easily the hardest event was the high jump - it was rock hard!
    Posted by Sky_Poker

Diving on Daley Thompsons Supertest (Spectrum) was THE most impossible level on any game I have ever played.

I remember trying it over and over again... Same scores   1.0    1.0     1.0 

I used to stand there bouncing and then came my trademark upright straight jump... I think I got a 1.5 once from the Norwegian judge and they would never admit it but I know it was out of sympathy...

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Retro Computer Games:
    Some discussions on another thread about retro computer games (Street Fighter II) got us thinking - what was your favourite game from yester-year? Who will be the first to discuss 'Jet Set Willy'? If you've never heard of it, dont worry, it's not what it sounds like it might be!
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    I was playing it at the weekend! Final Frontier version from the Amstrad CPC.
    Great game! I have loads of the Amstrad stuff

• edited July 2012

Remember when Gauntlet launched too?

Simply amazing game for its time!

• edited July 2012

There is always 1 game that defined the system...

Nintendo - Mario
    Snes - Mario Kart
    Mega Drive - Sonic?

My fave was the Amiga ... And Lemmings "Oh No". 

It was such an addictive game for its time and probably "made" that machine.
  • edited July 2012
    I've just started playing Golden Axe again,on the x-box but the original version,but I think 1 of my favourites was Wonderboy in monsterland on the sega master system.So much so am tempted to buy both off e-bay.

ps always picked ryu or ken cos they were the only ones I knew the moves for on Street fighter 2
  • edited July 2012
    mine was JEZZ BALL A GAME FROM THE 80,S
  • edited July 2012
    Does the old table top pin-pong game count?
    Used to have one in my local - spent hours on it !
  • edited July 2012
    Remember when Gauntlet launched too? Simply amazing game for its time!
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    I once played Gauntlet for 11 hours on 10p at an arcade in Liverpool city centre (had to break my mates record didn't i ?!). Fortunately there was a cafe in there so managed to get in a couple of square meals while waiting for the walls to turn into exits on tricky levels. You've got me wondering now if somewhere out there there's an old machine around with STE still registered as top scorer on both Elf and Wizard...
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Retro Computer Games : I once played Gauntlet for 11 hours on 10p at an arcade in Liverpool city centre (had to break my mates record didn't i ?!). Fortunately there was a cafe in there so managed to get in a couple of square meals while waiting for the walls to turn into exits on tricky levels. You've got me wondering now if somewhere out there there's an old machine around with STE still registered as top scorer on both Elf and Wizard...
    Posted by mrweeve
    We had one at our local leisure centre in Felpham (near Bognor) we all used to play. One of us managed to get the coin slot open and clocked up the credits.
    Got away with it for about a month before they went to empty it and it only had about £2 in it.
    On anouther subject did anyone else spend there school lunch breaks Striming fruit machines in their local chippy.
  • edited July 2012
    There is always 1 game that defined the system... Nintendo - Mario Snes - Mario Kart Mega Drive - Sonic? My fave was the Amiga ... And Lemmings "Oh No".  It was such an addictive game for its time and probably "made" that machine.
    Posted by MyZo
    you really bad person

im just out of therapy, LEMMINGS diggers, biulders stoppers
    i used to see them in my sleep.
    and because i was a lorry driver and away all week, my daughter bought me a PSP o stop me getting bored.
    and there they were        LEMMINGS
    the amount of times i missed my deliveries because of these things.
    so i never want to hear of them again
    stop build dig
    arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggg
  • edited July 2012
    nice to see you back and posting bludreid11.logdon and myself wondered where you were :):):) hope all is well with you luv trish aka paige55
  • edited July 2012
    I used to play space invaders, dig dug, tron, gorf, moon cresta and asteroids and galaxian to name but a few.

Liked dig dug the most though cos i got a few million on it and ten pence used to last me until i got bored. The machine didn't win, same with space invaders and galaxian too.

Does anyone remember Boot hill?? or that game where you looked through a submarine periscope and shot torpedoes at ships. Marshalls fair used to have those. Love retro fruit machines too and pinball machines. Right proper throw back me. I even have a retro room in my house lol.

Peace
    Air.
  • edited July 2012
    the Wizard of Wor
    best cabinet game ever imo
    and when you kill the wizard the screen freaked out strobing
    fantastic
  • edited July 2012
    nice to see you back and posting bludreid11.logdon and myself wondered where you were :):):) hope all is well with you luv trish aka paige55
    Posted by paige55
    thanks trish
    ive been moving house, and ive not had time, anyway i dont see much to challenge or comment on.
    i have missed my duels with you and logdon.
    so im back and willing to challenge anything that you can come up with
  • edited July 2012
    Alex Kidd, think it was built into the Sega Megadrive. The best.
  • edited July 2012
    My top 5 retro

1. final fantasy 3
    2. Super Mario World 
    3. Street fighter
    4. Super mario cart
    5. earthworm jim 

Snes FTW

• edited July 2012
    This is going back a long way but i remember spending way to much time on Rocket Raid on the old BBC computer.
    Looks so dated now but at the time was brilliant and annoying because everytime you died you went back to the start.