You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi everyone ive been playing a good few mtts and sometimes make the money and most of the time not. so im not really making any money what so ever. Cash tables were never my thing, but all of a sudden i find myself playing them more than mtts. I seem to do a little better on cash tables but as im only playing 2p 4p the profit is very very small for the time im playing, am i just being greedy and wanting to much to soon? When is the best time financially to move up to the lager tables even the 5p 10p tables. Hope this makes sence and thanks for any advise Tom 

Comments

• edited July 2012

Hi Tom,  keep away from the lager tables m8, never play when drunk.

But seriously it is all about Bank roll management or budget control.

There are lots of threads on here about BRM so have a peruse.
  • edited July 2012
    I’d consider disregarding all knowledge of BRM at this level. If you are playing these MTT’s speculatively (that is to say without regard of BRM) then there is nothing to stop you speculatively depositing £40 and playing to NL20 tables. There is no need for brm if your intention isn’t to grind up levels and theoretically never go bust.  So if you can afford it I’d just deposit on a session by session basis and play a level where you might see a better ROI in any given session. Okay with NL4 you might only ever lose £20 on a bad session, but at the same time you will only ever win that much. For most people that isn’t worthwhile or more to the point good fun. If you win, withdraw. Then repeat when you next play.  

When you get better, or more comfortable playing higher, you can then consider a more sizable deposit, or keeping your balance online after winning and you can take it from there.

Good luck

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH:
    I’d consider disregarding all knowledge of BRM at this level. If you are playing these MTT’s speculatively (that is to say without regard of BRM) then there is nothing to stop you speculatively depositing £40 and playing to NL20 tables. There is no need for brm if your intention isn’t to grind up levels and theoretically never go bust.   So if you can afford it I’d just deposit on a session by session basis and play a level where you might see a better ROI in any given session. Okay with NL4 you might only ever lose £20 on a bad session, but at the same time you will only ever win that much. For most people that isn’t worthwhile or more to the point good fun. If you win, withdraw. Then repeat when you next play.   When you get better, or more comfortable playing higher, you can then consider a more sizable deposit, or keeping your balance online after winning and you can take it from there. Good luck
    Posted by pr1nnyraid
    Would it not be better to learn bankroll management now, thereby turning it into a good habit now, rather than waiting 'till later when it may be harder to instill upon oneself as a discipline?

Its surely a fundamental element of poker such as learning hand selection, etc?

I dunno, just a thought.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH:
    Hi everyone ive been playing a good few mtts and sometimes make the money and most of the time not. so im not really making any money what so ever. Cash tables were never my thing, but all of a sudden i find myself playing them more than mtts. I seem to do a little better on cash tables but as im only playing 2p 4p the profit is very very small for the time im playing, am i just being greedy and wanting to much to soon? When is the best time financially to move up to the lager tables even the 5p 10p tables. Hope this makes sence and thanks for any advise Tom 
    Posted by THEBOMB88
    Its a personal decision really. I assume by your original post that playing at the microstakes isn't very exciting for you which dictates that you can easily afford to play at those levels and that the money doesn't mean a lot either way.

I'd suggest you deposit £150-200 and give NL10 a spin with maybe an occasional shot at a couple of NL20 tables.
    Hopefully you'll find playing for more meaningful amounts keeps you interested. Just remember the higher you go, the harder it gets!!

GL
  • edited July 2012
    It's all relative,  the amounts you lose or win are the same - while winning £20 might seem good - how about losing £20

so while £4 is not a lot to win, it's not a lot to lose

cash is all about volume = more tables per hour

but you can only make a profit if your a winning player long term

to be honest too many people put too much pressure on themselfs to make a good profit from poker when it's just not acheivable or only in small amounts-  most people just about run breakeven and the majority make a little loss per month

enjoy poker as a recreational player, if you win some then all is good
    if you lose then ensure you can afford to lose that money

whatever amount of money you decide to play with, consider the money already lost

gl
  • edited July 2012
    You need to go busto once to learn about BRM. FACT!
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH:
    You need to go busto once to learn about BRM. FACT!
    Posted by Curt360x27
    I hear this so often and it's such complete tosh!

No offence Curt cos I like 99% of your posts lol, but I've never went broke ever and have always been a complete bankroll nit from day 1. Admittedly I've come close a few times, but never busto.

Start as you mean to go on, don't get into bad habits.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH : I hear this so often and it's such complete tosh! No offence Curt cos I like 99% of your posts lol, but I've never went broke ever and have always been a complete bankroll nit from day 1. Admittedly I've come close a few times, but never busto. Start as you mean to go on, don't get into bad habits.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I think you would have to admit though you are a minority because that is exceptional. Obviously you are someone who has a great deal of discipline. However I don't believe going busto is a bad thing. I think it's just part of a learning curve that the vast majority of players go through.  

BTW, By busto I don't mean losing a 4 figure bankroll or anything I just mean your first £50 deposit or whatever.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH:
    Posted by THEBOMB88
    Variance in poker is huge. You would want to have to be winning at a level after over 250 hours of play online, to be pretty confident you are beating the game.Make sure you always have a bankroll of at least 30 buyins. Table selection and detailed information on players is key at all levels of poker.

Be patient, poker is a difficult game to make money from.If you do make money from poker in the long term, treat this as a great success.If you have justified confidence that you can beat a stakes, you can take shots at higher stakes to try and build your bankroll. However never risk more then 5% of your bankroll when doing so. Their are weak players at all levels of poker, the keys are being able to identify them and knowing how to exploit their weakness.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH : Variance in poker is huge. You would want to have to be winning at a level after over 250 hours of play online, to be pretty confident you are beating the game.Make sure you always have a bankroll of at least 30 buyins. Table selection and detailed information on players is key at all levels of poker. Be patient, poker is a difficult game to make money from.If you do make money from poker in the long term, treat this as a great success.If you have justified confidence that you can beat a stakes, you can take shots at higher stakes to try and build your bankroll. However never risk more then 5% of your bankroll when doing so. Their are weak players at all levels of poker, the keys are being able to identify them and knowing how to exploit their weakness.
    Posted by Fabraclass

Very well written Fabraclass,good solid advice mate.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF MY MONEY AND WHEN TO MOVE UP IN CASH : Very well written Fabraclass,good solid advice mate.
    Posted by Spikelad
    Ty mate.