You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT hand, 8's facing 16x 3b shove and cold call behind.....

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic

I'd been playing vvv aggressive on this table opening loads of hands.

Big blind is loose/agro/spewwwwy.

Short stack who rejams has been away for alot of the tournament, his 16xbb 3b range is probably a standard 1.

Not sure about the cold call behind I've no reads on the guy still don't even recognise his name.

It's a low stakes tournament with lots of loose/passive players. What kinda hands would you expect to see here, and what's my best play against it?

Call/shove/fold?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
El_Mogul Small blind  50.00 50.00 5890.00
three33320 Big blind  100.00 150.00 11860.24
 Your hole cards

DOHHHHHHH Raise  300.00 450.00 4317.75
cenachav All-in  1620.00 2070.00 0.00
tracybabe Fold     
jock197 Call  1620.00 3690.00 7042.00
El_Mogul Fold     
three33320 Fold     
DOHHHHHHH

Comments

• edited July 2012
    easy fold imo JJ. The cold call makes it simple to do. Only miricle u have is if they both hold 22-77 in which case ul. Going to find so many better spots when you have 43BB behind.
  • edited July 2012
    hands similar to yours, cenachave could have overs AK, AQ down to KQ KJ type hands, if low stakes it wouldnt suprise me if the caller has similar to your hand 66 77 99 here. If low stakes I wouldnt put him on aces kings or queens. I think you should re shove here or stop and go the flop (but low stakes you may get calls from anypart of the board). Folding is fine however just not fun.
  • edited July 2012
    You have put in 3bbs, then all the action behind=ez fold imo.

Plus you know you can't just call as you will hate most flops.

I guess you could shove hoping the bb folds and you are racing vs ak aq etc vs the allin guy?

Still think it's a fold though.
  • edited July 2012
    Cant fold quick enough.  Prob fold J's same.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Dohhhhhh

Fold because of the call by Jock as set-mining then in effect.

Cenachav may be re-stealing with csi=11 and as you've been aggro , he may put you on an opening range of over 15% However, if it was just you and him, even if he had you as high as opening with 40% then his 13% all-in as you'd expect for csi=11 is still a 62:38 favourite and against 88 has almost exactly the same equity so a fold is in order even if its just two of you.

Without Jock, odds of approx 1.25 to 1 does not warrant the call but if average stack is much higher it may be worth it to increase your stack by 50%. You may feel that your stack size is losing its fold equity value and is worth the punt now rather than slave away trying to build it gradually.More of a 'how lucky do i feel ?' moment  with versus two highers probably.

TBH, i'm not sure if this does make sense as i'm just getting into ranges etc and i'd appreciate your opinion even if its a snigger Dohhhhhh...all the best.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT hand, 8's facing 16x 3b shove and cold call behind.....:
    Hi Dohhhhhh Fold because of the call by Jock as set-mining then in effect. Cenachav may be re-stealing with csi=11 and as you've been aggro , he may put you on an opening range of over 15% However, if it was just you and him, even if he had you as high as opening with 40% then his 13% all-in as you'd expect for csi=11 is still a 62:38 favourite and against 88 has almost exactly the same equity so a fold is in order even if its just two of you.  Without Jock, odds of approx 1.25 to 1 does not warrant the call but if average stack is much higher it may be worth it to increase your stack by 50%. You may feel that your stack size is losing its fold equity value and is worth the punt now rather than slave away trying to build it gradually.More of a 'how lucky do i feel ?' moment  with versus two highers probably. TBH, i'm not sure if this does make sense as i'm just getting into ranges etc and i'd appreciate your opinion even if its a snigger Dohhhhhh...all the best.
    Posted by profman15
    sorry to be blunt, but i dont understand a word of what u said!

but this is a fold JJ imo because you can find a better spot.. the cold callers range includes hands u lose to and if they have overs its a good chance cenachav has at least 1 over which means ur not getting it in in that great a shape.

never call its a fold or ship obv.. i lean towards fold tho
  • edited July 2012
    You only have to beat jock here, I prefer to get it in tbh and you are well ahead of originals shoving range.
    It's marginal there is no right or wrong. But for the fun factor call and shove blind anyflop ;)
  • edited July 2012
    You only have to beat jock here, I prefer to get it in tbh and you are well ahead of originals shoving range. It's marginal there is no right or wrong. But for the fun factor call and shove blind anyflop ;)
    Posted by Batkin88
    He is going to be racing at best, and crushed at worse, I would wait for a much better spot.

+ He has over 40bbs, if he had less than 20 then maybe its more of a shove??
  • edited July 2012

I'm obv snapping the 16xbb shove instantly....

It's the cold call I'm interested in, I don't think it's a nut hand like QQ/KK/AA....

I thought maybe pretty broadways, as well as 22-TT, maybe Jacks.....

Thought I could get some folds from overs, maybe 9s and Ts too given this MTT is part of the DTD, which is a last longer comp and players seem to be really risk averse.

I shoved.....

Re-shover had KQ (smack bang in the middle of the range I put him on)

Cold caller had 99 (prob towards the top end of the range I put him on)

Cold caller called btw.

I came third. 

Thnx for replies. 
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT hand, 8's facing 16x 3b shove and cold call behind..... : sorry to be blunt, but i dont understand a word of what u said! but this is a fold JJ imo because you can find a better spot.. the cold callers range includes hands u lose to and if they have overs its a good chance cenachav has at least 1 over which means ur not getting it in in that great a shape. never call its a fold or ship obv.. i lean towards fold tho
    Posted by GREGHOGG

Hi Greghogg

Well you were right..it was blunt but was it helpful to a forum member, ie myself, who is just trying to improve his knowledge to be able to play with better players sometime? Say what you don't understand or correct my thoughts.

After a year starting with Harrington and largely fit/fold poker, i've seen an improvement and wanted to consider the mathematical side more considering opening ranges, re-steals with a certain csi value and consideration of effective stack sizes and consideration of opponents image of you affecting teir opinion of Dohhhhh's opening raise range.

I've read some books and i'm enjoying trying to understand it but greg just putting "I don't understand a word of what you say" hardly helps, does it? I've seen you on Sky and you come across as a really nice guy with good poker knowledge so i take it what i'm putting is hopeless. Maybe you'd like to tell me why? Don't be afraid...give me both barrels. I really am fine with it.

If its not a resteal or whatever please say. I was only trying to look at it through pokerstove and the equity possible ranges would have and then compare that to Dohhhhh's actual hand 88. If i did it wrong or indeed shouldn't have done it at all then please say.
    I did put IMO a fold because of Jock and then was just considering if it was only Cenachav with a smaller effective stack size. Dohhhhhhhi is a very good player and my advice is more of an opinion really. I was cheeky enough to ask his thoughts on what i'd put.
    Personally i find playing post flop more complicated and involving difficult decisions so the range thing was trying to narrow down a players possible hands. Here, yes, its not so advanced as its call/fold/shove and i gave my opinion.

All the best Greg. I've not taken offence. I just want help and pushing in the right direction.
    To be honest, after seeing verbal 'brawls' erupt on the forum over innocuous comments taken out of context, i'm in favour of Sky bringing out emoticons ith faces on to show if you are being nice, nasty, sarcastic, bragging, bad beating, taking a sly swipe etc....................................
    .................all those in favour say "I"!!! Cheers

• edited July 2012
    I'm obv snapping the 16xbb shove instantly.... It's the cold call I'm interested in, I don't think it's a nut hand like QQ/KK/AA.... I thought maybe pretty broadways, as well as 22-TT, maybe Jacks..... Thought I could get some folds from overs, maybe 9s and Ts too given this MTT is part of the DTD, which is a last longer comp and players seem to be really risk averse. I shoved..... Re-shover had KQ (smack bang in the middle of the range I put him on) Cold caller had 99 (prob towards the top end of the range I put him on) Cold caller called btw. I came third.  Thnx for replies. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    So I was right you were racing and crushed ;)
  • edited July 2012
    versus at best three maybe four overs, think your not even favourite
    cold caller may fold better prs, but I don't think so

@prof

just stove ranges of prs and broadway overs versus Dohhh hand
    does Dohhh have any FE when he shoves versu cold caller and how much
    the shover may have 7's< so......figure that in

ps. Greg doesn't understand a lot tbh :D

I have the same situation recently in the DTD and shover had 5's and cold caller had AJ - I had 9's and shoves but the stacks may have been shallower
  • edited July 2012
    versus at best three maybe four overs, think your not even favourite cold caller may fold better prs, but I don't think so @prof just stove ranges of prs and broadway overs versus Dohhh hand does Dohhh have any FE when he shoves versu cold caller and how much the shover may have 7's< so......figure that in ps. Greg doesn't understand a lot tbh :D I have the same situation recently in the DTD and shover had 5's and cold caller had AJ - I had 9's and shoves but the stacks may have been shallower
    Posted by rancid
    Hi Rancid

Cheers. Thanks a lot. I'm only trying to look at it in a mathematical way as an ex teacher as a book i've been reading recently really put a lot of its hand analysis in this way. Stuff you couldn't do at table but do afterwards to get more accustomed to these situations. I just thought Greg was saying that it was complete rubbish and i wanted him and other experienced players to say why? I was only having a go, giving my opinion and seeking corrections etc
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT hand, 8's facing 16x 3b shove and cold call behind..... : Hi Rancid Cheers. Thanks a lot. I'm only trying to look at it in a mathematical way as an ex teacher as a book i've been reading recently really put a lot of its hand analysis in this way. Stuff you couldn't do at table but do afterwards to get more accustomed to these situations. I just thought Greg was saying that it was complete rubbish and i wanted him and other experienced players to say why? I was only having a go, giving my opinion and seeking corrections etc
    Posted by profman15
    nah i wasnt saying this at all

i was saying i didnt understand what u were saying.. i was not in the top set in maths at school!

that sort of stuff goes above my head, i try not to complicate things. i go with my instinct and in this situation i think fold, i cant back it up with any sort of mathamatical theory soz
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: MTT hand, 8's facing 16x 3b shove and cold call behind..... : nah i wasnt saying this at all i was saying i didnt understand what u were saying.. i was not in the top set in maths at school! that sort of stuff goes above my head, i try not to complicate things. i go with my instinct and in this situation i think fold, i cant back it up with any sort of mathamatical theory soz
    Posted by GREGHOGG

Hi Greg
    I didn't really think you were having a go. Just that you seem knowledgeable in the game so i would have been happy to get a detailed 'slating' as it were. I'm not even sure whether considering ranges is the right thing at low lstakes anyway. After all, its expecting your opponent to play optimally too isn't it. With no huds on site(not that i've ever used one) i don't play with opponents for long enough to get a clear detailed idea of the hands they open/call with in various positions etc.

You've got your poker knowledge from playing and get an idea of what not to call with etc. I was just examining the 'pokerstove' way with a set of assumptions. TommyD is a maths teacher, isn't he? I wonder if he uses range balancing/judging techniques? Tommy? I'd say yes as he plays higher stakes with the same players regularly  so can expect more optimal playing as well as having a better idea of his opponents opening/calling/3-bet ranges etc. Anything that gives you an edge must be sought, mustn't it?

Anyway, all the best and let's say hello at a table eh? I just hope its a FINAL one!! Ha
  • edited July 2012

Easy call v cenachav every day of the week and twice on Sundays.  Agree with the others, cold call by jock makes it a fold without seriously good reads.

• edited July 2012
    LOL, am i reading this correctly? hmm mabye missing something...