You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - TONIGHT.

edited September 2012 in Poker Chat

Good morning.

As some of you know, in gratitude for the support of them & others, & because I think the whole ethos of the Monday evening Forum DTD Tourneys sums up the Sky Poker Community so well, I said I would donate 5% of my profit from the WSOP 8 or Better to "Forum DTD".

To this end, I wrote to Scouse Red (Chris) & DTW Bandit (Michael) last night, an extract of which is as follows. 

"....I detailed on the Forum how much it was. From memory, 5% x $13,500 = $650, then translated into £ sterling. I THINK it is about £420.  

How do you think we should best, & most fairly, do this?

It COULD be the overall winner on any given Monday.

We COULD run a, say, one month "league".

Or any other suggestion you have.

Then, how to share the money out?

Winner takes all?

Top 3, 50%, 35%, 15%, or whatever?

Some other distribution?

Can you have a think, please, & let me know?

I'll start a Forum thread tomorrow, if I have time, to let everyone know that I have sought your opinion......"

Comments

• edited July 2012

Chris then replied, & the relevant part of his reply was as follows.....

"....I would think a nice idea would be to invite the top 20 players for the month of July or August into a tourney Gtd at that amount If that's ok to do and can be set up...."
  • edited July 2012

I would like Chris &/or Michael to have the final say in the decision, but it IS open to reasoned discussion, from which Chris & Michael may be helped to decide how best to do it.

As things stand, I would propose a one month DTD League, for the month of August. (It could be delayed until September if too many regulars are on holiday in August). The August dates would be 6th, 13th, 20th & 27th. If delayed until September, it would take place on 3rd, 10th, 17th, & 24th.

The Top 20 would then go into an Invite Only Freeroll a few days later, with the £420 paid in prizes to the top three, or whatever is decided.

Any suggestions or thoughts to assist Chris in his decision would be welcome. Chris may also need some help in setting up & runnning the League.

Feedback as to how points would be awarded in the League are also welcome, though there seems to be a well-regarded system in place already for the weekly events, which just needs turning into a 4 week League.

Please note this is NOT a Sky Poker promotion, it is to be organised & run by the players in exactly the same way as "Forum DTD" always has been.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Tikay,
    Thanks again for the gesture I reckon the idea of taking the results over a month, followed by a seperate "freeroll" is a great idea. just a couple of ideas though.

1) I would make it September for the reasons you said.

2) I would make the number invited to the freeroll to be 18/24 as this gives you full starting tables on 6 seater tables.

3) I would use the scoring system over the 4 weeks of September that is in use for the "Friday Orfordable" using players best 2 finishing positions from each Monday nights DTD overall positions.

4) Top 18/24 are auto registered into the event as opposed to it being password protected.

5) The "Freeroll" to be held on a Monday night in October running alongside the DTD, but starting at say 9:15 

Mike

ps. be happy to offer any help the guys need
  • edited July 2012
    Some good points by Woogie above, i think. Nice idea of top players of month to compete......maybe just possibly involve 'small' rewards say enough fo a free entry to lucky sevens say for quirky fun stuff...

EG   1. First to win a hand with 72
           2.First straight flush.
           3. First to get 77(lucky svens)
           4. First to win with a Tikay nominated hand

I'm sure people could think of some good ones. It's really just to keep the fun in and not be solely results orientated. As you say and i endorse 100%, it's meant to be FUN, FUN, FUN!!!
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - coming soon.:
    Chris then replied, & the relevant part of his reply was as follows..... "....I would think a nice idea would be to invite the top 20 players for the month of July or August into a tourney Gtd at that amount If that's ok to do and can be set up...."
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sound like a nice spread of the kindly donated prize money Tikay.

Could just spread the amount across the top six spots of the monthly league, or final table of the proposed freeroll

• edited July 2012
    More or less agree with Woogie. I would prefer it to be in September (then I have time to turn around my miserable form). But I would prefer the Freeroll to be on a different night to DTD and a deepstack too.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi Tikay, Thanks again for the gesture I reckon the idea of taking the results over a month, followed by a seperate "freeroll" is a great idea. just a couple of ideas though. 1) I would make it September for the reasons you said. 2) I would make the number invited to the freeroll to be 18/24 as this gives you full starting tables on 6 seater tables. 3) I would use the scoring system over the 4 weeks of September that is in use for the "Friday Orfordable" using players best 2 finishing positions from each Monday nights DTD overall positions. 4) Top 18/24 are auto registered into the event as opposed to it being password protected. 5) The "Freeroll" to be held on a Monday night in October running alongside the DTD, but starting at say 9:15  Mike ps. be happy to offer any help the guys need
    Posted by Woogie8688
    Hi Woogie. I thought it would have been easier to use the monthly DTD scoring structure already in place to decide who goes through everything is set up for that and ready to go

Also I think it would be better to have it on a separate night from the DTD itself

• edited July 2012
    Yeah alot of good points by Woogie, but 3 MTTs is enough for me at the same time on a Monday, a different day of the week is probably easier for people.

Thanks for the genorosity Tikay. Maybe you should play in the freeroll and stick a £50 prize up for the chap/ladie that knocks you out (assuming you don't go and win all your own money back lol).
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - coming soon. : Hi Woogie. I thought it would have been easier to use the monthly DTD scoring structure already in place to decide who goes through everything is set up for that and ready to go Also I think it would be better to have it on a separate night from the DTD itself
    Posted by scouse_red
    +1.   we already have the monthly scoring system in place as it stands

p.s. ty vm tikay for this kind offer
  • edited July 2012
    Please don't take this the wrong way!

I have never taken part in the DTD but intend entering soon.
    Tikay's very generous gift is in my opinion meant for players who have been loyal to the event over the years.
    Should it not be a proviso that to win a free roll place you must have entered competitions prior to the WSOP.

As I stated previously I don't want to offend anyone but, say I entered and won in September. I'd feel guilty about taking a regulars position.
  • edited July 2012
    Please don't take this the wrong way! I have never taken part in the DTD but intend entering soon. Tikay's very generous gift is in my opinion meant for players who have been loyal to the event over the years. Should it not be a proviso that to win a free roll place you must have entered competitions prior to the WSOP. As I stated previously I don't want to offend anyone but, say I entered and won in September. I'd feel guilty about taking a regulars position.
    Posted by cleansweep

This.

It is a difficult one to comment on without having the usual backlash elsewhere but....I do agree on BOTH parts of your post.

There should be some recognition for the regular players who have supported the DTD over the months, but the essence of the whole DTD idea is introducing new players into it, so they also should be included. I would personally prefer that it was shared out over a large group of players rather than just a few, whether they be regulars or new players.

I will 100% back anything that Chris/Michael decide do to and would also like to thank Tikay for his very generous contribution.
  • edited July 2012

turkeys... christmas...
    christmas... turkeys...
    turkeys... christmas...

if i had a vote i would say it should all go to the person on skypoker who was born in the most southerly city* in the world.

* excludes new zealand.

• edited July 2012
    good idea aussie but i think it should be shared out with the old age pensioners who struggle week in week out to play dtd using their pension to meet the cost.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - coming soon. : Hi Woogie. I thought it would have been easier to use the monthly DTD scoring structure already in place to decide who goes through everything is set up for that and ready to go Also I think it would be better to have it on a separate night from the DTD itself
    Posted by scouse_red
    Hi Chris,
     The only reason I suggested the same night & later was to avoid Monday night regulars having a problem if played on a different night, I am usually out of at least 2 if not all 3 by 9;00, so a 9:15 start time wouldn't be a problem with multi tabling.
     As far as the scoring system, totally agree if its in place & makes life simpler for all then yep use it.
    When all said & done its your shout guys & no one should have a problem with how you want to play it .
    The only other thing I thought was to ask Tikay if he could play for the month in the Totty & each week put a £20 bounty on his head for whoever knocks him out. This still leaves £340 to play for in the "freeroll" It is Take on Tikay after all.
    Mike
  • edited July 2012
    Whatever happens, I am strongly in favour of the "freeroll" if that's what the culmnation will be, taking place on a Monday. It's Monday night players that are the backbone of the DTD and not everyone can play on other nights.

But a big thankyou to Tikay for the gesture, it's much appreciated by all I'm sure
  • edited July 2012
    Thank you Tikay for this very generous gesture!

I don't have any specific suggestion, but I wanted to add my thoughts. Most, if not all, added prices are given to the top finishers in single or tournaments. As a result someone who most likely has already made a tidy profit via their cashes gets even more. The top finishers in the DTD league most likely have cashed in several of the tournaments and maybe even won a weekly price along the way, so spreading the extra cash amongst them seems overkill.

Maybe have the top 25/50 players who have played the most DTD tournaments over the last year play for the cash, with a flatter payout structure than usual? Or, to attract newer players to the DTD, invite everyone who plays at least 9/12 during August or September?
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - coming soon. : Hi Chris,  The only reason I suggested the same night & later was to avoid Monday night regulars having a problem if played on a different night, I am usually out of at least 2 if not all 3 by 9;00, so a 9:15 start time wouldn't be a problem with multi tabling.  As far as the scoring system, totally agree if its in place & makes life simpler for all then yep use it. When all said & done its your shout guys & no one should have a problem with how you want to play it . The only other thing I thought was to ask Tikay if he could play for the month in the Totty & each week put a £20 bounty on his head for whoever knocks him out. This still leaves £340 to play for in the "freeroll" It is Take on Tikay after all. Mike
    Posted by Woogie8688
    Pinching my idea Woogie? :p
  • edited July 2012
    Tikay ,thank you for your generous offer.
    My suggestion would bethat this freeroll should only be valid for people who have played in at least 2 DTDs, or you are likely to get every one jumping on the band wagon, which would be unfair to the regulars!
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - coming soon. : Pinching my idea Woogie? :p
    Posted by Lambert180
    Sorry about that Paul :-)
    Was just trying to make a good idea even better.
    If Tikay could play in those games then a DTD player who doesn't make the "freeroll" has the chance to benefit. & with a bounty on Tikay's head it may attract more players to Monday nights. 
  • edited July 2012
    Is the aim of the 'sweetner' to 'attract more players to DTD' ? 

Or to reward the players that already do play the DTD?

----------------------------------

I reckon the introduction of a DTD Jackpot, awarded for the first player to win 2 DTD comps on the same night. They will win a $150 bonus.

$150 + bragging rights is a nice significant bonus for most low stakes players, and may attract more of them to play. It's not big enough to attract 'the wrong type' of player either. 

Do the jackpot x2 (first 2 players to win it)

The last $300 to go into a 18/24 player freeroll at the end of a month/6 week period or something as discussed above. 

(Or maybe run the monthly period twice, with a $150 freeroll for top 12 at the end of each). 

Just think the wider you distribute the money/prizes, the more likely the regular players are to benefit from them. 

• edited July 2012
    Is the aim of the 'sweetner' to 'attract more players to DTD' ?  Or to reward the players that already do play the DTD? ---------------------------------- I reckon the introduction of a DTD Jackpot, awarded for the first player to win 2 DTD comps on the same night. They will win a $150 bonus. $150 + bragging rights is a nice significant bonus for most low stakes players, and may attract more of them to play. It's not big enough to attract 'the wrong type' of player either.  Do the jackpot x2 (first 2 players to win it) The last $300 to go into a 18/24 player freeroll at the end of a month/6 week period or something as discussed above.  (Or maybe run the monthly period twice, with a $150 freeroll for top 12 at the end of each).  Just think the wider you distribute the money/prizes, the more likely the regular players are to benefit from them. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Why do we have to play in $'s I thought the beauty of Sky poker was we played in £'s but you reckon playing DTD's in $'s we atract more players???? :-)
  • edited July 2012
    Very well done on your cash Tikay and thanks for this....

I like the original freeroll idea (and another vote for September as I and so many other folks will be on hols/off to the olympics). 

I also like the idea of a jackpot, but it should be a one-off - this encourages ongoing participation.

Or, in recognition of the NHS' valiant efforts in bringing Scouse back to us from a brush with the orthopods, you could give it all to his favourite doctor ;)

Whatever, it will be fun.
  • edited July 2012

I like the idea of a freeroll for the top 20 in the monthly, encourages regular participation.

I also really like the idea of a bounty on Tikays head if he's able to play.  It used to be great when Tikay, Hartigan and Orford found time to play the DTD as it added a little extra edge to it.

• edited July 2012
    Very nice gesture tikay thank you - my two penneth:

1.  Stick to top 20 in league - 4 x 5 handed at start is fine
    2.  Don't make it more complicated straightford deepstack format as per 7.15 jonnie
    3  Everyone gets paid something like:
    11th to 20th = 1% £4.20
    6th to 10th = 2% £8.40
    5th = 4% = £16.80
    4th = 8% = £33.60
    3rd = 13% = £54.60
    2nd = 20% = £84
    1st = 35% = £147
  • edited July 2012
    Very nice gesture tikay thank you - my two penneth: 1.  Stick to top 20 in league - 4 x 5 handed at start is fine 2.  Don't make it more complicated straightford deepstack format as per 7.15 jonnie 3  Everyone gets paid something like: 11th to 20th = 1% £4.20 6th to 10th = 2% £8.40 5th = 4% = £16.80 4th = 8% = £33.60 3rd = 13% = £54.60 2nd = 20% = £84 1st = 35% = £147
    Posted by SoLack

+1 to this.

Would also like to add my Congrats to young TK on his bink and say TYVM for the donation.

PS  September would seem like the sensible choice and scoring to be as per DTD rules.
  • edited July 2012
    Very nice gesture tikay thank you - my two penneth: 1.  Stick to top 20 in league - 4 x 5 handed at start is fine 2.  Don't make it more complicated straightford deepstack format as per 7.15 jonnie 3  Everyone gets paid something like: 11th to 20th = 1% £4.20 6th to 10th = 2% £8.40 5th = 4% = £16.80 4th = 8% = £33.60 3rd = 13% = £54.60 2nd = 20% = £84 1st = 35% = £147
    Posted by SoLack
    I agree with Solack, let all 20 of any proposed freeroll have a payout. After all theyve got through on a month on meritous work and deserve it for consistency.To have the 20 and then topload it to a 3 pay contest seems a nice top prize but theyve already earned their prize and deserve that to be recognised.

And once again, very generous of you Tikay and congratulations on your cash.
  • edited July 2012

Good evening.

Great feedback, thank you.

It will be for Chris & Michael to make the final decision, they run Forum DTD, & we know they are a safe pair of hands, & will make their decision sensibly, & with good intent, though it's unlikely it will please everyone.

It seems September, rather than August, is favoured, & that is fine by me. There seems to be concensus on most of it, just bits & pieces of detail need resolving.

I will address a few of the other question later, or tomorrow. 

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: ADDED VALUE Forum DTD - coming soon. : This. It is a difficult one to comment on without having the usual backlash elsewhere but....I do agree on BOTH parts of your post. There should be some recognition for the regular players who have supported the DTD over the months, but the essence of the whole DTD idea is introducing new players into it, so they also should be included. I would personally prefer that it was shared out over a large group of players rather than just a few, whether they be regulars or new players. I will 100% back anything that Chris/Michael decide do to and would also like to thank Tikay for his very generous contribution.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    MAXALLY was responding here to a Post by "cleansweep", which floated the idea that it only be open to those who played Forum DTD before the WSOP.

Quite a tricky one.....

This is NOT a Sky Poker promotion to increase the number of players in the Forum DTD, but equally, Chris & Michael work tirelessly to increase the weekly numbers.

I think, marginally, that it should be open to anyone & everyone, because that should, ultimately, increase the popularity of Michael & Chris's "baby", but it's their decision entirely.

I think the main thing is that new players understand the spirit of Forum DTD, & if they enter into the spirity & ethos of it, then that would be the nut result.
  • edited July 2012

Good morning.

Chris wrote to me last night, on behalf of himself & Michael, they have had a chat, & a think, about this, & come up with the following.

The "Top 20" idea is agreed.

It will be based upon the regular Monday Night "Forum DTD's" in September, using the scoring system already in place. The Top 20 will qualify for the "Play Off".

The September "Forum DTD" dates will be.....

September 3rd

September 10th

September 17th

September 24th

They wish that ANYONE can enter these & qualify for the "Freeroll PlayOff", PROVIDING they play a minimum of three of the 4 nights in September.

The Play Off, for the Top 20 from that League, will take place on Friday 28th September, as they think most Forum-DTD-ers are on site that night, playing the Orfordable.

Payout structure? They believe, based on the ethos of the Forum DTD, that EVERYONE should get a payout if they qualify for the Top 20 Play-Off, as follows....( I have not checked the maths). 

11th to 20th = 1% £4.20

6th to 10th = 2% £8.40

5th = 4% = £16.80

4th = 8% = £33.60

3rd = 13% = £54.60

2nd = 20% = £84

1st = 35% = £147 

These are Michael & Chris's views, & it is their call, but I'm sure they'll listen to constructive feedback.

Game on, then.
  • edited July 2012

i don't normally play on monday, nor friday, so unless i become a single bloke i will not be free to participate.  hang on a minute... there's a thought. 

good luck to those who enter.

this sums up everything that is good about the forum, chris and michael's efforts, skypoker and of course tikay who has been magnificent by magnifying events by a magnitude.