You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How should i have played this?

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Only the 6th hand of a 10 player bh stt.
1. Should i have bet bigger on flop & turn?
2. Should i bet river?
3. Should i have called river?

Hand History #543341631 (14:33 18/07/2012)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
belsibub Small blind  10.00 10.00 1950.00
 Big blind  20.00 30.00 1970.00
  Your hole cards

slydog794 Fold     
belfastp18 Fold     
77Laur77 Fold     
belsibub Raise  50.00 80.00 1900.00
 Call  40.00 120.00 1930.00
Flop

belsibub Bet  60.00 180.00 1840.00
 Call  60.00 240.00 1870.00
Turn

belsibub Bet  120.00 360.00 1720.00
 Call  120.00 480.00 1750.00
River

• Q

belsibub Check     
 Bet  360.00 840.00 1390.00
belsibub Fold     
 Muck     
 Win  480.00  1870.00
 Return  360.00 0.00 2230.00

Comments

• edited July 2012
    Definitely bet more on flop and more on turn, that might have avoided you getting to this horrible river, but now you're there, I think you have to fold.

EDIT: No point betting river, cos you're only ever gonna get called by flushes really.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: How should i have played this?:
    Definitely bet more on flop and more on turn, that might have avoided you getting to this horrible river, but now you're there, I think you have to fold. EDIT: No point betting river, cos you're only ever gonna get called by flushes really.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I have mostly played dym's hence 1/2 pot bets.
    What would be better in this format hu on flop 3/4 or full pot?Or maybe even over pot on turn?
  • edited July 2012
    Hi

IMO. 4-5 xBB raise on pre then 1/2- 3/4 pot R on flop and Turn(as outs for OESD and to rep the flush) should let you know his strength. No need to bet River in my opinion as only called by hands that are ahead. Small bets allowhim to fish and then you can lose big pots instead of gaining small ones. No doubt someone will disagree but that's poker, eh?
  • edited July 2012
    Raise pre is fine,
    Flop needs to be bigger, this is one of the rare situations I would bet pot or over pot on the flop,
    This allows half pot on the turn (as half pot is bigger)
    I would bet fold the river aswell, as checking is allowing all bluffs to come in.
  • edited July 2012
    Hi IMO. 4-5 xBB raise on pre then 1/2- 3/4 pot R on flop and Turn(as outs for OESD and to rep the flush) should let you know his strength. No need to bet River in my opinion as only called by hands that are ahead. Small bets allowhim to fish and then you can lose big pots instead of gaining small ones. No doubt someone will disagree but that's poker, eh?
    Posted by profman15
    This would would be far to big pre flop. Anything between min - 3x pre is fine.
  • edited July 2012
    I agree that 4-5x would be far too much pre-flop. I'd just make it a min-raise but anything up to 3x this early is fine. Making it more than this means that when you're stealing from the Small Blind with a non-value hand, your steal attempts have to be successful more often to break even. Opening for more than 3x also leads to playing big pots out of position when called and makes your c-bets very expensive.

I like the half-pot bet on the flop as this allows your c-bet bluffs to be alot cheaper, since you can't make small bets when you're bluffing and big bets when you have a hand. However, if you make it half-pot on the flop you need to make a bigger bet on the turn. This is because, after being called on the flop, you should now be expecting a turn bet to be called alot of the time. If your opponent had a value hand and he expected you to call a bet, then it would make sense for him to make a bigger bet. If he didn't, you would find it suspicious and might interpret it as weakness or uncertainty in his hand. So when you're in that position yourself, you need to make your turn bet bigger or risk giving away your own weakness.

So half-pot is fine on the flop but you need to bet bigger on the turn: 2/3 or 3/4 pot. This makes your bluffs more effective and increases the value you stand to gain when you do have the big hand. I don't like the reverse - betting more on the flop than on the turn - as this would leave the impression that you were confident on the flop but now you're less-so on this dangerous turn.

On the river; when you check you might as well tell your opponent that you don't have a strong heart. That makes his bet very polarised as it either means that he has a big heart himself or that he's bluffing. If he had the 8h, for example, he'd likely just check it back and hope to be good. I think it's quite likely that he has a flush having called the flop and turn and it isn't an easy bluff for someone to make as you could very easily be check-calling with a middling heart yourself. Against weaker players I think this makes a check-fold fine though it's certainly possible that bet-folding is the optimal line in the long term - As long as you realise that when you bet the river you're effectively bluffing with your straight as you're unlikely to be called by worse.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: How should i have played this? : This would would be far to big pre flop. Anything between min - 3x pre is fine.
    Posted by Curt360x27
    hi Curt & Borin

Yea, i see where ur coming from but its just a different approach and enables me, to my mind, to eradicate my opponent fishing as well as prepare the bet size on the flop, dependant on the texture, so that i can have a better idea of his strength. Its very early and i don't really want him fishing. At least this way, i take 20, or can narrow him down from junk at least to have a better idea if flop has hit his 'range'.Thats why, and it may be flawed, but thats my reason. To say something is too big with no justification does not have much worth to a poker clinic, does it? I'm fine with you disagreeing and welcome criticism /opinion as that's how i improve....just say why.

cheers