You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Badly need Heads Up Advice

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Hi Guys. Was playing a £2.30 bounty hunter last night and managed to make it to heads up from the 116 runners. Unfortunatly I,d never been heads up before and managed to mangel my 2 to 1 chip lead and lose . Obviously I was gutted to not take it down but was more concerned by my play at heads up.
So to my question, whats the best approach to heads up for a novice player. I tried to raise from position as much as possible but was constantly called and then led into. Should I  increase my raise size to counter this. Also when out of position should I be folding to raises if I don't have the goods or should I try 3 betting more. I had ran good throughout the tournament but didn't really get any cards once we reached heads up.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated although it could very well be 2015 before I manage to luckbox my way to a heads up position again.
Thanks, Eamonn

Comments

• edited July 2012
    How many BB did you both have?

• edited July 2012
    I'd around 25 and my oppo had 10 or so at the start of heads up
  • edited July 2012
    tbh with those stack sizes theres going to be a tonne of variance, you might not have done anything wrong. only thing i would say is if your opponent has 10bbs you shouldnt be raise/folding pre unless he is folding way too much
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah if it's 25BB v 10BB, then obviously the effective stack is 10BB so you can't really be raise folding unless he's a complete nit, but with that kinda lead I tend to not allow them any room for hoping to hit flops.

From the button I'd just be open shoving any PP, any Ax and a few other hands like KQ, KJ. Each time you steal is taking a decent chunk off his stack, and you will quickly reduce how helpful it's gonna be for him to double up.  The only time I could consider not shoving is with like KK/AA but even then if it's me I still shove, cos after doing the above for a fair few hands, it tends to create a dynamic where they think you are just shoving everything and will call wider.

If he min-raises or limps from the button, I'd re-shove 100% of the hands mentioned above.
  • edited July 2012

Hello! I would class my self as a pretty good heads up player,try playing alot of them just one on one to get a feel for it.. and you will fell more confident...aggresion is the key my friend your not checking,your raising or folding..his range is as small as yours so just hammer time,its hard online but put the psychology inplay...he dosnt want to lose after investing hours so...oh ive said to much ;) good luck!

• edited July 2012
    with the advice from above and elsewhere try playing a few hyper hu sngs. This will help you to get over the fear factor of getting it in much lighter than you are used to. Although the hyper makes it more of a ****shoot, it does force you to play. Then when you end up hu again, in 2015 (or sooner), you will be salivating with the thought of overturning his 2:1 lead and taking it down.
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for all the comments guys. Will definatley try and follow ye're advice. Will also try some of the hyper hu sng's for practice.