You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Good enough to raise pre?

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
As standard against unknowns I will usually raise from the blinds with KJ if there is one limper to isolate. But with two limpers and the small blind coming along I don't fancy playing a multi-way, inflated pot from out of possition with a fairly weak hand. Is this sound logic. When the flop comes I'm happy to get it in here but what about my bet on the river. Is this spot to value bet?

The button has only ever limped pre and played passive, the MP player has just joined the table on this hand.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
SB
Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £3.46
jugglegeek Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £4.25
MP
Big blind   £0.04 £0.10 £4.26
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • K

UTG Fold        
MP
Check        
CO
Fold        
BTN
Call   £0.04 £0.14 £4.05
SB
Call   £0.02 £0.16 £3.44
jugglegeek Check        
Flop

• J

SB Check        
jugglegeek Bet   £0.14 £0.30 £4.11
MP
Fold        
BTN
Call   £0.14 £0.44 £3.91
SB
Fold        
Turn

jugglegeek Bet   £0.35 £0.79 £3.76
BTN
Call   £0.35 £1.14 £3.56
River

jugglegeek Bet   £0.58 £1.72 £3.18

Comments

• edited July 2012
    I would personally go with tthe mindset that if the hand isnt worth raising, it isnt worth playing. If i dont want to play muti way in this hand I fold pre. What have we gained from limping along? Nothing, in fact we have made it worse by not knowing where we are and holding a medium hand that we feel we must play to the end.

I would have made this 32p raise pre. The 4 on the turn stops us jamming (otherwise I think we should, some will disagree here), I fold to any raise on this river.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Good enough to raise pre?:
    I would personally go with tthe mindset that if the hand isnt worth raising, it isnt worth playing. If i dont want to play muti way in this hand I fold pre. What have we gained from limping along? Nothing, in fact we have made it worse by not knowing where we are and holding a medium hand that we feel we must play to the end. I would have made this 32p raise pre. The 4 on the turn stops us jamming (otherwise I think we should, some will disagree here), I fold to any raise on this river.
    Posted by tapeworm
    Yeah I agree with this, fold pre from the BB instead of checking ;)
    Other than that I understand we want to isolate limpers in postition and out play them post flop, however over limping is fine. An example would be if we are in the SB, everyone limps in before it gets to us and we hold 22. Raising here would be pointless and we are obv not folding, so making up is the only thing we can do.

Personally I would raise pre but checking is also fine.
    As for the river, yes you should bet the river but bet more. Youve bet 3/4 pot all the way then half pot the river which is just leaving value behing IMO.
  • edited July 2012
    What would make you jam £4 into 44p on the turn, tapeworm?
  • edited July 2012
    raise pre. folding from the bb makes perfect sense. I'd open raise this hand from any position

I'd b/f more on the river