You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Semi Final

edited July 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Managed to sattellite in to SPT semi. 16 still in, started with 18, 1st qualifies for DTD SPT, 2nd gets £241.

Is my raise pre-flop reasonable? What should I do next?

I've got no experience with villian but I'm assuming he has at least 2 cards higher than mine and I'm thinking I have 2 choices - fold or shove. Is a call ever reasonable here?

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceDoubleblowSmall blind 15.0015.001695.00HitmeriverBig blind 30.0045.00255.00 Your hole cards99   GREGHOGGFold    blueberr27Fold    Tricky_TCall 30.0075.002525.00StayOrGoRaise 120.00195.001840.00DoubleblowRaise 285.00480.001410.00HitmeriverFold    Tricky_TCall 270.00750.002255.00StayOrGoRaise 840.001590.001000.00

Comments

• edited July 2012
    It hasnt posted properly, how many chips do you have?
  • edited July 2012
    HI Fella
    Raise size is fine maybe 3x.
    However, let go now. You are at best flipping and are not closing the action so may be up against 2 players.
    a middling pp does not play so well here, imo. itsearly and you still have an adequate stack.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: SPT Semi Final:
    It hasnt posted properly, how many chips do you have?
    Posted by UareLIMPER
     I had 1695, villian has 1840. Starting stack 2000
  • edited July 2012
    might get shot down 4 this but me personally 99 is too weak to 3bet oop but too strong to fold pre so just flat call and re-evaluate on the flop.
  • edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: SPT Semi Final:
    might get shot down 4 this but me personally 99 is too weak to 3bet oop but too strong to fold pre so just flat call and re-evaluate on the flop.
    Posted by liamboi11
    I understand your thoughts Liambo. I would say that as its early take the punt with the raise to beef up the punt then set mine as middle pocket pairs need that help in this position , i feel. I just wuld fancy limping, catcing and winning a smallish pot. Also you will drive out very marginal hands from the pot. I'd rather have two solid hands with a good idea of their range than 5 others with a hotch potch. However, i see what you mean as i'm set mining here or generally check folding in overcard positions.
  • edited July 2012
    He's got QQ, more likely KK. Just pass it up ...
  • edited July 2012
    Once you raise, you are getting nowhere near the odds to set-mine, so you can't 3bet to set mine. I think I just flat pre and check out the flop, even more so cos it's a satellite.

Even if you do bring 3 or 4 to the flop, all the better when you flop your set, and all the easier to get rid of when you don't.
  • edited July 2012
    ALL IN, everyone with a pair hits a set 100% against me np ez game
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for your input guys.

I've been really struggling to play these middling pairs recently, usually totally overplaying them. Typically raising 3 x BB regardless of position, missing the flop, then continuation betting or calling, folding after missing the turn and losing lumps of chips. Been going through my hand history to see if I could learn any lessons but it seems to no avail :(

In retrospect I wish I'd just flat called the initial rasie. If the re-raise had still come in then fold. It's early still had reasonable stack and can pick a better position. As Profman says, at best I'm flipping.

My re-raise is a mistake I feel. So, I decided to shove all-in Tricky folded, StayorGo called and flips over AK. He hits a K and I'm history. Even if I'd won it still wasn't great play at this stage of the tourney.

Thanks again for your thoughts and next time I might play it better!