You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How should i have played this?

I'm tamping after this hand, Pre flop (after seeing his cards) in my eyes no matter what i raised he was calling.  So thought i'd try to isolate and have cheap look.  Any re-raise i was folding.

With that flop i was landed.  Trying to trap with small bet and induce a re-raise.  I think he would have called most bets.

Turn made me chuffed but if he was on flush draw then he had to pay as i thought he was a calling machine (which it looks like he was). Half pot bet.  Perhaps bigger raise but still think he'd call most bets.

River was the alarm card but i thought his all in was over the top and was stealing.

Any opinions??
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
coolRmike Small blind  100.00 100.00 8253.75
joss1971 Big blind  200.00 300.00 22282.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

trevil25 Fold     
Lugger Raise  400.00 700.00 16075.00
cookie83 Fold     
drybrook44 Fold     
coolRmike Fold     
joss1971 Call  200.00 900.00 22082.50
Flop

• K
  • J

joss1971 Check     
Lugger Bet  200.00 1100.00 15875.00
joss1971 Call  200.00 1300.00 21882.50
Turn

joss1971 Check     
Lugger Bet  650.00 1950.00 15225.00
joss1971 Call  650.00 2600.00 21232.50
River

joss1971 Bet  20600.00 23200.00 632.50
Lugger All-in  15225.00 38425.00 0.00
joss1971 Unmatched bet  5375.00 33050.00 6007.50
joss1971 Show
  • A

Lugger Show
  • K
  • J

joss1971 Win Flush to the Ace 33050.00  39057.50

Comments

• edited November 2009
    I would certainly put a bigger bet in after the flop. Trying to trap is always a dangerous thing to do with a possible flush draw on the board.
    You gave him odds of 11/2 after the flop and 3/1 after the turn. Odd that many would take to hit there flush or strait draws.
    I would not be going putting such a large bet in after the river. I would check and see what size bet was put in and then decide whether to call or not.
    I know other would disagree with me, but that is how I would have played it.
  • edited November 2009
    SAME FOR ME BIGGER BET AFTER FLOP AND ALL IN AFTER TURN BUT AS YOU RIGHTLY SAY WHATEVER YOU DO HES PROBABLY NOT PUTTING DOWN THE ACE FLUSH DRAW
  • edited November 2009
    stop betting small when you hit a big hand. Your first thought when hitting a big hand should be to start building the pot. The strategy of trapping either wins you a small pot or loses you a big one.
  • edited November 2009
    yeah, i think best move would have prob been all in on after flop, but i think he would have called anyway.
  • edited November 2009
    his all in was a value shove knowing he's gona get called by many 1p/2p type hands such as you did, even though you should be 100% folding there.

Raise bigger preflop

Bet 2/3rd pot flop and again on turn

check/call or check/fold river if he shoves
  • edited November 2009
    you say you think he was calling most best... why not just bet big every street then and scoop a big pot?
  • edited November 2009
    Badboy, think your totally right.  Like u said i think he'd have called an all in on the turn.

Offshoot, your right, i'm just gonna bet out, although i think a big bet after the flop would have still had him calling, maybe big bet/all in on turn would have got rid of him.

Deadluck, i think he would have called most raises pre-flop, dont u?  But your right, i should have folded with 3 to the Flush out there after the river.  Got carried away and made a stupid mistake which knocked me out.  I had built stack up lovely too so am really annoyed with myself.

Blackfish, i mean in hindsite after i seen his cards he was gonna call.  At the time of playing hand i was trying to trap and didnt wanna scare him off with big bets. And i honestly thought he had nothing and was trying to steal on end.
  • edited November 2009
    I have to say I dont like the Min raise pre flop, especially with the KJ, that is a hand where you want to go 3 or 4 BB raise in my opinion. With the min raise he's getting 3.5 to 1 to call, and having a suited ace, think its unlikely he was going to fold to your bet there.

Cant argue with any of the other comments on the post flop play

Aski :)
  • edited November 2009
    U shud a put a 4x raise in on flop,or shuved,,

DONT BE SCARED OF GHOSTS
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: How should i have played this?:
    yeah, i think best move would have prob been all in on after flop, but i think he would have called anyway.
    Posted by Lugger
    Hi Lugger
    There is a difference, if you had got behind your hand as you say, his call WOULD have been a mistake. It might not be any comfort to you, but at least you wouldnt be questioning your play.
    Btw, i agree why didnt you raise to a substantial amount, to call allows drawing hands along
    col
  • edited November 2009
    bigger bet post flop and on the flop for me, priced him in to play both times
  • edited November 2009

When you see a "wet" Flop like K-J-x (2 of a suit) - & that is VERY wet - someone is likely to be chasing it, & may not let go easily. So bet properly.

You can only afford to slow-play, or trap, if the Board is dry - say K-8-2, Rainbow.

Look for the texture of flops.

If it contains two of a suit, someone may be on the Flush draw.

If it comes - as here - K-J-x - then remember that Q-T is a quite possible hand for Villain.

Or, if you hold, say, A-A, both black, & the Flop comes 8-9-T (all red), that is super-scary. Again, with A-A, if it comes paint-paint-paint, beware - many folks might have Called a Raise with paint-paint, so 2 pair is very possible.

Any all-paint flop is likely to be "adjacent" to Villain's likely holding.

Always assess the flop texture before deciding on your next course of action..
  • edited November 2009
    You bet 400 pre flop and 200 post flop.  That kind of bet is going to keep near enough most players in - A high, any pair or any draw.  I prefer to bet larger than my prev bet and make people pay to chase.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: How should i have played this?:
    You bet 400 pre flop and 200 post flop.  That kind of bet is going to keep near enough most players in - A high, any pair or any draw.  I prefer to bet larger than my prev bet and make people pay to chase.
    Posted by phil12uk
    Excellent point Phil - sounds ridiculously obvious but after each bet, the pot gets bigger so you should be adjusting/increasing your bet sizes accordingly! As for original post, whilst you did flop nice hand, it's still very vulnerable so even after making mistake by not betting bigger on each street, you shouldn't compound that mistake by calling off your entire stack on the end - even if you thought he was trying to represent and steal the pot, when you get that read wrong it's your whole tournament so with your stack, you should've folded and waited for better spot!
  • edited November 2009
    Deadluck, i think he would have called most raises pre-flop, dont u?  But your right, i should have folded with 3 to the Flush out there after the river.  Got carried away and made a stupid mistake which knocked me out.  I had built stack up lovely too so am really annoyed with myself.
    Wrong way to think about it preflop, I'd be calling with any 2 there just because I'm in for so much value and against a minraiser, to be brutally honest, I generally know I'm against a worse player and what their weaknesses are so can play profitably against them in later streets.