You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Why folding is the key to winning deepstacks...

edited November 2009 in Poker Chat
WD all who cashed.. another fantastic 22 deepie played in a great spirit as usual.

here was a fold i made early on...

followed by the result...

Apologies in advance for blatant brag...
mabsue Small blind   30.00 30.00 3640.00
posh92 Big blind   60.00 90.00 6347.50
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

ctbn Fold        
SoLack Fold        
GREGHOGG Raise   180.00 270.00 5075.00
mabsue Call   150.00 420.00 3490.00
posh92 Fold        
Flop

• J

mabsue Bet   120.00 540.00 3370.00
GREGHOGG Raise   420.00 960.00 4655.00
mabsue Call   300.00 1260.00 3070.00
Turn

• K

mabsue All-in   3070.00 4330.00 0.00
GREGHOGG Fold        
mabsue Show
  • K

mabsue Win   4330.00   4330.00
GREGHOGG1£132 + 30 League Points110000 
anjie19702£99 + 26 League Points0 
SoLack3£77 + 18 League Points0 
unbpower4£55 + 12 League Points0 
Ludovician5£44 + 6 League Points0 
Uzi_lover6£330 
J-Hartigan7 0 

Comments

• edited November 2009

N1 Greg, very classy fold.
  • edited November 2009
    change ur name to mystic meg
  • edited November 2009
    Good fold, but some rather exotic play by Mabsue with k9?! I'm outta there when you raise my flop bet
  • edited November 2009
    wow great fold greg,

you are some player m8y ,

mmm must upgrade you again on my notes lol,

oh and congratulations on the win .
  • edited November 2009

Very well done Greg! Great fold, too.
  • edited November 2009
    nice fold,unless a spade was coming!just kidding,great fold and result :)
  • edited November 2009
    krazzyyyyyy fold. result orientated replies as always. Get the money in asap. Isnt a good fold just coz u wud have lost. annoyed again. But am callin / raisin 100% deepstack short stak mid stack wateva!

dohhhh x
  • edited November 2009
    Baluga theorum coming into play there??

Great laydown.
  • edited November 2009
    ...poor lay down
  • edited November 2009
    Entitled to your opinion. Mabsue makes a terrible call on the flop and is probably hoping villain has an overpair or AJ. When K is on the turn, his play is a value shove knowing he's getting called by those hands most of the time - ie. people like yourself, and i know im felting myself there most of the time too with TPTK + NutFD.

But if u pickup a feeling that it's a value shove and have the balls to lay it down - then I wouldn't say its a "bad" laydown in any sense of the word. Perhaps critically thinking it's probably best to call in the long run against an unknown or solid TAG, but if u know your against a donk who's going to shove when he sees his 2pair sucking out against a flop bet/raise, then it's a great laydown in my opinion.

Call or fold, both are fine in that spot tbh Greg.
  • edited November 2009
    just shove it in when u have the chance, especially the flop, 2 overs nut draw, if u miss, oh well buy in lost, get it bak on a cash table within half an hour. if u win, crack on n win the tourny. so simple. ppl try to over-complicate this game at times

ps (if the buy in means alot to u, dont buy in)

DOHHH
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: Why folding is the key to winning deepstacks...:
    just shove it in when u have the chance, especially the flop, 2 overs nut draw, if u miss, oh well buy in lost, get it bak on a cash table within half an hour. if u win, crack on n win the tourny. so simple. ppl try to over-complicate this game at times ps (if the buy in means alot to u, dont buy in) DOHHH
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hello Dohhhhhh

The buy in is within my bank roll so its not a problem and that would never influence my decision in any case... I play this tourney most nights of the week, every week...

I folded because of the way the hand played out and because i know Mabsue well and have played him many times. Its all about knowing the player imo...

He has at least 2 pair when he shoves imo, and i have the wrong price to hit any of my outs.

At this stage of the tourney with the blinds as they are why would i call when im almost certain im behind?

And i did crack the tourney, in a solid, patient, way as per normal. We all have our own styles of playing. Obviously if this was a standard tourney and i only had a few bbs behind i would call, but in this situation, if i fold i still  have well over 50 bbs.

Thank you every1 for your comments, i was so chuffed to win this tonight vs a very tough field.

Greg
  • edited November 2009
    well its an auto all in, fact. explanation read, digested, understood.

just shove it in on the flop u take the pot down.

stop being result orientated, so frustrating.

dohh
  • edited November 2009
    DOHH^Nth

1. Do you have to be so rude and flippant?

2. "just shoving it in on the flop" is stupid at the current blind levels.

3. You give no support or explanation for your so called "advice", instead resorting to a typical 2p2 style attitude. Did he ask for your advice in the first place?

4. To return the attitude: explanation to show the math and rationale behind your "auto all in"; or gtfo.

I'd be interested to see scotty's or ladyfingr's response to this if you post it in the strategy section greg
  • edited November 2009
    Could consider folding the flop? There are a lot of poor players who will not fold to a reraise... and will  then check call the other streets. I know this is unconventional but its tournaments are different to cash games and i think there are better spots than 50 50 on the flop if you dont think the opponent will fold. I know i will get a lot of criticism for bringing this up but there is more than one way to play. You played it very well and good fold.
    Could also float the flop? There are a lot of options available not just shove or fold.
  • edited November 2009

well im the best player in the world believe it or not. im right u r all wrong. unless u agree with me. never ever folding there who cares wat the blind structure is?

move in, he folds, n u win the tourny.

simples ;)

dohh

• edited November 2009
    Could consider folding the flop? There are a lot of poor players who will not fold to a reraise... and will  then check call the other streets. I know this is unconventional but its tournaments are different to cash games and i think there are better spots than 50 50 on the flop if you dont think the opponent will fold. I know i will get a lot of criticism for bringing this up but there is more than one way to play. You played it very well and good fold. Could also float the flop? There are a lot of options available not just shove or fold.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    He wouldn't be floating the flop when he's got the nut flush draw and 2 overs...
  • edited November 2009
    jeez its so so simple, move in on the flop. y not??????
  • edited November 2009

Very well played Gregg, and class act ..

The thing is this a good player knows when to lay down a monster, and when the timing is right, 
      knows how to  play rags to take a pot down .. Top Man  glk  to ya !
  • edited November 2009
    Is no1 getting it??? there is no decision if u shove the flop?

am i talking to myself??? in the end good fold but it shudnt have got to that stage.....

plz explain why im wrong??? (im not btw)
  • edited November 2009
    Is no1 getting it??? there is no decision if u shove the flop? am i talking to myself??? in the end good fold but it shudnt have got to that stage..... plz explain why im wrong??? (im not btw)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    shoving 5k into a 500 pot on the flop "with a draw" is clearly gonna be a losing play over time and would actually get called quite often as you are basically announcing "i have a flush draw" any pair is good here...that's why you're wrong.
  • edited November 2009
    longplay id lurvvvveeee a pair to call me there, i have 2 overs n the nut draw. The opponent HAS to have the pair, then HAS to make the call, and if he does happy days.
  • edited November 2009
    longplay id lurvvvveeee a pair to call me there, i have 2 overs n the nut draw. The opponent HAS to have the pair, then HAS to make the call, and if he does happy days.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    but you are only winning 1/10th of your current stack,you would have to win this situation more than 9 times out of ten to be a winning play in the long run.
  • edited November 2009
    well we r winnin 9 times outta ten. dnt forget we r raising, they have to call, sets snap it, we have outs.....i dnt see why ur so scared to commit urself to the hand? what more do u want playin ak suited? lol fold it pre? thats the only other option!!
  • edited November 2009
    well we r winnin 9 times outta ten. dnt forget we r raising, they have to call, sets snap it, we have outs.....i dnt see why ur so scared to commit urself to the hand? what more do u want playin ak suited? lol fold it pre? thats the only other option!!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    in a deepstack with his stack he played it perfectly,he just happened to run into a loose call and then a nasty turn,it's not about being scared,it simply makes no sense putting 5k into a 500 pot with a drawing hand to increase your stack so little while risking so much,if he had 2k behind instead of 5k then of course he shoves the flop all in.
  • edited November 2009
    in a deepstack with his stack he played it perfectly,he just happened to run into a loose call and then a nasty turn,it's not about being scared,it simply makes no sense putting 5k into a 500 pot with a drawing hand to increase your stack so little while risking so much,if he had 2k behind instead of 5k then of course he shoves the flop all in.

loose = bad?

and if he shoved the flop he wins the pot, how can that possibly be a bad play?
  • edited November 2009
    in a deepstack with his stack he played it perfectly,he just happened to run into a loose call and then a nasty turn,it's not about being scared,it simply makes no sense putting 5k into a 500 pot with a drawing hand to increase your stack so little while risking so much,if he had 2k behind instead of 5k then of course he shoves the flop all in. loose = bad? and if he shoved the flop he wins the pot, how can that possibly be a bad play?
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    loose=iffy

2k to win 500=good increase and defintely a  winning play long run.
    "5k" to win 500-v small increase and a losing play in the long run.

seeya,it's late.
  • edited November 2009
     are u just being ignorant or dont u understand? I WANT A CALL! its a win win situation!
  • edited November 2009
     are u just being ignorant or dont u understand? I WANT A CALL! its a win win situation!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    It's you who is being "results" oriented here.

The all-in move only looks good because you know what the opponent's cards are.

Of course, Greg has MASSIVE fold equity but there is absolutely no need to risk his stack here. In most situations he gets exactly the same result with his more subtle (more intelligent) play.

You seem to be unaware (or unwilling to accept) that, in a deepstack, there is no need to risk your tournament with marginal plays.

Even with the given hands, Greg is only 47% to win after the flop. During the course of a deepstack there are almost certainly going to be several better spots for getting your chips in.

If Greg's opponent has a set (or even two pair) it's a snap call and Greg is drawing very thin - he would be 3/1 dog against a set, for instance.

In a turbo MTT, I would be shoving with the AK every day of the week, in a deepstack it is a VERY poor play.

Now, do you understand?
  • edited November 2009
    Well mabsue played the hand awful considering your image.

To open ship the turn is also the LOLest of LOL things in LOLsville.