You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just unsure early on...you?

Hi FOLKS,
After a few days away from playing came back to DTD aiming to ease my way back in only to get a run of very good hands but flops/betting which created problems(imaginary or not?) for me. 'Macap' had got tofinal table in last weeks DTD and played well. What do you think his big bet is conveying? Should i shove so early? Should i have reraised the flop?

I didn't really feel at the races to be honest and was considering the DTD as a whole, possibly looking for a setting card  each time.
Funnily i had QQ,KK,JJ(3 consec hds), JJ, 99 and AK twice in first 20 hands. No sets or pairs even so decisions, i felt, weren't straightforward.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancelyonsbob06Small blind 10.0010.004970.00ZieBig blind 20.0030.004780.00 Your hole cardsKK   profman15Raise 60.0090.005030.003barrelsFold    macapacaCall 60.00150.004900.00poshcoleCall 60.00210.004890.00lyonsbob06Fold    ZieCall 40.00250.004740.00Flop  9J3   ZieCheck    profman15Bet 125.00375.004905.00macapacaRaise 375.00750.004525.00poshcoleFold    ZieFold    profman15Call 250.001000.004655.00Turn  4   profman15Check    macapacaBet 750.001750.003775.00profman15Fold    macapacaMuck    macapacaWin 1000.00 4775.00macapacaReturn 750.000.005525.00

Comments

• edited July 2012

why have you folded the turn but not the flop ?  Did the 4 change things .... ?

• edited July 2012
    In Response to Re: Just unsure early on...you?:
    why have you folded the turn but not the flop ?  Did the 4 change things .... ?
    Posted by 1267
    Hi
    Yes, early in T and didn't want to get a bad loss early i suppose v the set or two pair. Correct the 4 didn't affect anything but his bet did dismiss the flush draw so i had a bad feeling i may be up against 99, JJ, even J9 as he clicked very quickly without thought. His call in BB would fit these hands.  I'm probably wrong and hence its in the clinic for your thoughts on it. I take it you think i should have carried on? Cheers
  • edited July 2012
    Macapaca is a great player imo and I think on this occasion he has just outplayed you in this hand. (Which he has done to me many times lol)

J9 is well within his range here, however, on this occasion J10, may be the more likely. I'm pretty sure if he's holding JQ, JK, JA he would have re-popped it pre-flop. (Player related opinion)

Obviously there is a possible flush draw on the board and if he doesn't have it he's going to make you pay to see it by playing the hand strongly.

If he has J10s then he is holding a strong hand with top pair, up and down straight draw & flush draw so this is what I would put him on given the strength of his betting.

Any 8, Any K and any Heart and he's probably busting you for the lot.

ps. did the thought not cross your mind to re-pop his raise on the flop?
  • edited July 2012
    I think that early on in early position I would raise bigger than 60 (even though that is 3X) early on people will call with much more mariginal hands because the blinds are so small.
    On the flop did you think of raising? once you call you've given up the betting lead and are out of position when the turn comes. Once you call the flop the turn card doesn't change much, i would be tempted to shove the turn if I hadn't the flop.
  • edited August 2012
    Would have re-raised his raise on the flop to 875/925 ... the 4 changes nothing and betting 3/4 pot there shows he doesnt want a call and is trying to push you out IMO. Likely to have 9Thh or A9hh in that spot and he probably thinks he could be ahead but doesn't want anymore cards.
  • edited August 2012
    Cheers all

Good points all round i think, guys. 'DTD-itus' set in and i should have reraised him. Hated the thought of a cooler early on. I agree Trev that i think i was outplayed by Maca. The shame of it...he's a brummie, you know? lol.
    PS if ur out there Maca....what did you have? Good bet whatever mate as it put me in the difficult place.
  • edited August 2012
    Cheers all Good points all round i think, guys. 'DTD-itus' set in and i should have reraised him. Hated the thought of a cooler early on. I agree Trev that i think i was outplayed by Maca. The shame of it...he's a brummie, you know? lol. PS if ur out there Maca....what did you have? Good bet whatever mate as it put me in the difficult place.
    Posted by profman15
    Hi profman, I checked through my hand histories as couldn't remember, I had J 10 my friend, I'm glad I didn't 3 bet per flop as you would have 4 bet then I'm getting out of there, so limp call is a bad play with J 10 but I liked the flop, but to be honest I was raising ur c bet on any flop, gg though my friend and maybe see you at the tables anytime soon.
  • edited August 2012
    Raise bigger pre in that position.

As played fold flop or get it all-in. Probably fold flop.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Just unsure early on...you? : Hi profman, I checked through my hand histories as couldn't remember, I had J 10 my friend, I'm glad I didn't 3 bet per flop as you would have 4 bet then I'm getting out of there, so limp call is a bad play with J 10 but I liked the flop, but to be honest I was raising ur c bet on any flop, gg though my friend and maybe see you at the tables anytime soon.
    Posted by macapaca

Hi Maca
    You got me there then mate....i had it in my head that you had more. WP...if we meet tonight i'll have AA...cheers
    !