You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Standard fold, or am i just too nitty

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Ok no reads on the leader so no help on him. 

However i do have some reads on the other guy. Hes got a pretty wide opening range and usually does fire one cbet and folds when i miss. Seems a pretty capable player although today is first time ive met him today, although hes on a few of my tables so im confident in that read. However these reads do all come from HU pots. 

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceelnino92Big blind £0.04£0.04£3.50 Your hole cardsJA   moses01Fold    other guyRaise £0.12£0.16£5.28JINTYCall £0.12£0.28£1.89The_Don90Call £0.12£0.40£6.74leaderCall £0.08£0.48£3.42Flop  99A   leaderBet £0.12£0.60£3.30other guyRaise £0.48£1.08£4.80JINTYFold    The_Don90Fold

Comments

• edited August 2012
  • edited August 2012
    Not many players raise the 9 in that spot. If I had a similar read on an opponent (wide opening range) then Im not folding AJ there as there is only 2 hands he can have that are currently beating me. I'd have prob 3 bet AJ on the button to try and take the betting lead for future streets and isolate the other guy. If you get 4 bet then either flat in position and reevaluate the flop or fold
  • edited August 2012
    I definitely think the 9 is being raised in that spot. Reason for this is that the vast majority of players at that level are paying you off with ANY ace, and a lot of players will play any suited cards so i'd want to protect against the flush.

If it's who i think it is (from his bet sizing i'm pretty sure) then he will go away to a re-raise if he's got nothing, but it's quite possible he's got 9T, suited A-x, any big ace, T8s.

All told though i think a fold is fine, but then maybe reevaluate playing JAo if you have to fold to this guy even with an A on the relatively safe board.
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Standard fold, or am i just too nitty:
    Not many players raise the 9 in that spot. If I had a similar read on an opponent (wide opening range) then Im not folding AJ there as there is only 2 hands he can have that are currently beating me. I'd have prob 3 bet AJ on the button to try and take the betting lead for future streets and isolate the other guy. If you get 4 bet then either flat in position and reevaluate the flop or fold
    Posted by mj8bs
    NOT THIS ^^^^^^^
  • edited August 2012

You're right to not 3bet the button with AJo, especially at this level. I think a fold is fine, at this level there are so many spots where you KNOW you are ahead and should just be value-towning. I maybe missing out of small value here and there but I think at 4NL it's best to just let these very marginal spots go.

• edited August 2012
    Gliterbabe/died - can you please elaborate. Granted I mainly play cash live (for a living) and what ive said there is exactly how I would play it live. What are you putting your opponents on and how would you play it? Trying not to sound rude but "NOT THIS" is hardly helpful to someone trying to learn an online cash game?
  • edited August 2012

@Mj8bs - Generally when you 3bet value hands, that you wouldn't call a 4bet with (like AJo), everything that beats you will at least call or raise, and a very high percentage of hands that you beat will fold. Sure some bad players will call the 3bet with AT and maybe lower Ax hands, but more often than not, you're inflating the pot with a pretty marginal hand. 

(Personally I think AJo is one of those hands that traps pretty in that it looks alot prettier than it really is).

I'm not trying to be insulting but a VERY high percentage of players at 4NL see a 12p raise as meaningless and will call with a super wide range, probably 22+, probably any Ax, probably K5+, Q6+, J7+, all the connecters from 35o to 7To etc etc.

The guy leading out could have alot of different hands, but when someone then raises to 4 times the size of the bet and with 2 players still to act, and bearing in mind you've got a 4-way pot with lots of VERY wide callers pre, it's perfectly believable that someone has you beat.

• edited August 2012
    Lambert - I dont play much at this level...my main game is 1/2 live. Why wouldnt you 3bet AJo at this level? (genuine question btw - Im helping a friend of mine learn and theyre realistically rolled for this level - total BR £600)

edit - doh just seen your post above. Thanks for the clarification. Prefer to see a post like yours or the one from died rather than "NOT THIS"

• edited August 2012
    Lambert - I dont play much at this level...my main game is 1/2 live. Why wouldnt you 3bet AJo at this level? (genuine question btw - Im helping a friend of mine learn and theyre realistically rolled for this level - total BR £600)
    Posted by mj8bs
    At this level, you're looking to be just value-towning people to death. It's best to stick to a tight range, play you're PPs pretty much exclusively for set-mining (excluding about JJ+), play strong hands that stand to make the best hand on the flop alot of the time.

There's very little room for bluffing or even semi-bluffing at this level. With the exception of c-betting the right flops, generally post flop, fold when you haven't got it, raise when you have got it, just call with your draws (if you're getting the right odds), then go to value-town when you hit, or fold when you miss.

As for not 3betting AJ here, once you've got this many callers, you've gonna have to raise a silly amount to get rid of most of them cos they've already put something in the pot and they wanna see a flop. If you raise to 40p you're gonna get calls all round too often and be playing a marginal hand 4-way when you have little FE.
  • edited August 2012
    thanks for that! :) A lot of that sounds like the 2/5 game at the vic the other day....not saying thats how it it always plays but it sure did feel like it. Raised up QQ UTG..4 callers. BB min raises, i re raise...still end up going 4 way to the flop and eventually hand got taken by J6 suited (flush). Dont think Im ready for that game yet!
  • edited August 2012
    Gliterbabe/died - can you please elaborate. Granted I mainly play cash live (for a living) and what ive said there is exactly how I would play it live. What are you putting your opponents on and how would you play it? Trying not to sound rude but "NOT THIS" is hardly helpful to someone trying to learn an online cash game?
    Posted by mj8bs
    3 betting pre is fine but flat calling a 4b to evaluate down the streets  this shallow is pretty bad imo.....either 5b shove or fold.... 2b pot, folding on the flop is fine....
  • edited August 2012
    call flop & play some pokers on the turn

you can 3b pre but vs an unknown AJ is a very mehhhh hand to do it with.
  • edited August 2012
    MAKE IT THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE BETS PRE

Folding this flop to bet/raise is fine,flop decision is obviously call/fold with limited information folding is safest, it's pretty hard for someone to have a complete bluff when they raise here. 

Do not 5bet jam if 4 bet imo unless you've been going ballist.
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by mj8bs

Don't listen you're right!
  • edited August 2012
    Hand played perfectly for the limits. with AJ in a multiway pot on the button you are looking to use your possition to keep the pot small and pick up a £1 pot vs hands like A9 or second pair. Therefore don't 3-bet because NL4 players will either call with 100% of their opening range or fold the type of raggy ace hand that I mentioned. The ideal situation when you have AJ on the button like this is the flop comes AQ2 and one guy bets and the other player(s) fold.

In this situation you have a donk lead and a raise. Just fold and wait for next spot. Well played
  • edited August 2012
    fold is fine, sometimes 3 bet pre - depends on read on original raiser - tis a bit of a sqeeze spot so...

dont' fink anyone raises flop at this level without at least a bigger A or a 9.
  • edited August 2012
    I probz 3b pre
    as played I fold flop, don't think he's bluffing. altho he's probz raising with like A5o as it is 4nl
  • edited August 2012
    Calling fine pre, would think you can 3b for value at 4nl if you like though. Definitely a 3b/f if you raise unless you have very good reads or have being going nuts

Flop is a fold imo