You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

should football be like rugby and use video evidence?

edited November 2009 in The Shed
le hand of henry robs Ireland,

so obvious hand ball,

why in this day and age is football behind other sports,

so much money involved in football now,

seems daft they have not got video evidence in place ,

for  match decider decisions.

Comments

• edited November 2009

They need to do something to stop the cheating

• edited November 2009
    YES DEFINATELY THE REF AND THE LINES MAN CANT SEE EVERYTHING ,AND WHEN THEY DO SEE IT THEY DONT MAKE THE RIGHT CALL,HALF THE TIME IT TAKES A FEW SECONDS IN RUGBY, DROGBA IS ON THE FLOOR EVERY GAME FOR 5 MINS , YEPI HATE DROGBA HE IS A BIG WUSS ,I NO THAT THATS GOT NOTE TO DO WITH ANYTHING BUT , ITS A BIG YESS  AND  QUICK
  • edited November 2009
    Yes - as long as it is used evenly for all teams. Too many decisions favour the big teams / nations, and it paramount to cheating. Always amazes me how refs miss the big decisions for the "big team" yet see every misdemeanor that the small team makes.

I used to know a qualified referee who could tell you who was going to win because when he was refereeing because he was mates with some of their management. Nice guy not.
  • edited November 2009
    Definitely it lets everyone be more sure of decisions and doesn't take to long to decide in rugby.Last night to appease all the complaints it would have taken no time to find out it was handball.
  • edited November 2009
    Definitely should be, it seems football is in the minority among the bigger sports as it will not embrace technology. Until such a time as they accept it as part of the changing times within sport itself, this is going to happen as often as the cheats keep getting away with it.
  • edited November 2009
    i dont think so,human error is part of the game and i love it.If video evidence is implemented the game woould become kinda robotic imo.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm in favour of using video technology for the major decisions.
  • edited November 2009
    Football deffo needs it... blatent handball with Henry!
    Too much cheating, needs to be sorted out! I hate how unsportsman like so many footballers are!
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, definitely.
    Every (yes, every) goal, every penalty, every red card, should go to video ref/refs.
    Takes but a minute, the game flow isn't interrupted as celebrations, confusion etc are taking place at the time.

I don't think the FA will have any of it though.
  • edited November 2009
    I DONT THINK ITS UP TO THE FA , IT ALL COMES DOWN TO SEP BLATTERS MOB AT  FIFA,WHO ARE IN CHARGE OF ALL FA,S  SO HE SEEMS TO BE AGAINST IT , BUT WE CAN ONLY HOPE , THRE IS TOO MUCH MONEY IN THE GAME NOW. IF IT WAS A TEAM FROM THE 2ND DIVISION AND GET A CUP RUN AND HAPPEN TO PLAY A TOP 10 TEAM AND THERE IS A MISTAKE IN THE GAME , IT CAN MEAN GOING BUST OR SURVIVEING ON THE CUP RUN ,I DONT THINK HUMAN ERROR COMES INTO IT .
  • edited November 2009
    Absolutely it should be used at all levels of the professional game for major decisions such as goals, penalties, offsides.

I don't think it'll slow the game down anymore than now as there's always celebrations/confusion etc after major incidents.

The Henry incident aside, Liverpool certainly wouldn't have been given the penalty against Birmingham the other week had we had VT in place. Now admittedly, at the time I thought it was a stone wall pen so could understand why it was given but after seeing the replay it was clear that the guy had dived. What happens now if Birmingham are relegated by 1 point?
  • edited November 2009
    I have to say  that I don't think video evidence will actually solve the majority of the issues.

Take offsides for instance, the amount of times you see analysts replay a situation 4 or 5 times, and you still get different interpretations on whether the player was offside or not, they normally come out with "its a tight one"

The other reason I'm not keen on it, comes down to cricket, It was brought in to help umpires with decisions on run outs. Now here we have a fixed position that the camera's need to monitor, and yet how many times is the fourth umpire unsure, and yet when its analysed further you find out the incorrect decision was made.

Given that football is a faster moving game than cricket, I think that except for the most blatant incidents there would still be so many times when opinion is divided, to make it next to useless

As an example, lets say a goal kick is given instead of a corner. Does that qaulify as a reason to use a video ref.

The goal kick is taken and a minor foul on a striker occurs just outside the opposition penalty area.

The freekick is taken, shot towards goal which is stopped by a defender with his hand, that defender is then sent off and a penalty awarded.

Do we then go back to the video evidence to check to see if it was a goal kick or a corner, given that this has affected a major incident, bearing in mind that play may have continued for 2/3 minutes since the original incident. Do we then get the video ref to review that incident, as you can guarantee that one manager wont be happy.

Given that any minor decision, can resort to a major incident, there would soon be a call for video evidence to be used for every decision.

As an alternative, 2 minutes to go in a cup tie, premier league team are 1-0 down to a non league team.

Premiership team are piling on the pressure and the non league team just cant get hold of the ball and most people are anticipating a goal will come any second.

Ball goes out for a corner and ref gives a goal kick, thus releiving the pressure on teh defending team, who are able to regroup. The waste a bit of time making a substitution, bringing on a defender for a forward to help with the defending. and eventually the final whistle is blown without further incident. You can guarantee that the premiership manager will be wanting to know why video eveidence was used for the decision about the corner, as the incorrect decision handed the initiative back to the opponents, and denied the premiership team a good set piece opportunity to create a goal scoring chance.

My view on this would be tough, but once video evidence starts to be used to certain incidents, then there will be more and more calls for it to be used in differing situations

So as I'm sure you can tell I remain opposed

Aski :)
  • edited November 2009
    voted yes!! far many too much money for the smaller clubs to lose out on if the so called big guns always get the big decisions ;)
  • edited November 2009
    Maybe one solution is to allow both teams to contest a maximum of say 2 or 3 incidents per game whereby they can ask for a video replay?

At some level it definitely needs to be brought in simply because there's just too much riding on the game these days. The last time my team, West Ham, were relegated it was by the slimmest of margins (not to mention a record number of points that in some years would've seen us near mid table!) & I could easily point to at least 6 or 7 decisions that year that cost us points. The subsequent consequences of relegation were not just that we had to sell all our best players but people with ordinary jobs within the club were also made redundant so it affects every part of that club (or in this weeks case the whole nation).