You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

a nice gesture from our friends at Sky Bet

edited November 2009 in The Shed
hi guys,

i know this is being talked about right now in the shed so thought you might be interested to see this...

Sky Bet to refund Rep of Ireland to qualify

Following the controversial goal which sent France through to the World Cup finals at the expense of the Republic of Ireland, Sky Bet are refunding stakes to all punters who backed the Irish to qualify for South Africa.

Sky Bet will also be paying out on bets for the French to go through and now make Thierry Henry’s team 16/1 to win the World Cup after their dramatic extra time victory in Paris.

The Harrogate-based bookmaker quote 200/1 that the match will be replayed and 50/1 that video technology will be introduced during the 2010 World Cup finals.

Sky Bet’s Dale Tempest said: “To lose out in such dramatic and controversial circumstances was a devastating blow for the Irish. It only seems fair to refund to customers any stakes placed on Ireland to qualify. Surely it can only be a matter of time before technology is used to clear up major decisions when so much is at stake.”

Brazil and Spain head the World Cup 2010 betting at 9/2 and Fabio Capello’s England side are next best at 6/1.

Two-time champions Argentina are 9/1 and Germany, who have lifted the trophy on three occasions, are 10/1. Defending champions Italy are 14/1 to win a fifth title and Portugal, who had to overcome Bosnia-Herzegovina in a play-off are 16/1.

World Cup 2010 - Win Outright 

Each Way terms: 1/2 of odds for 1st 2 places 

Brazil 9/2                    Serbia 50/1                 South Africa 125/1 

Spain 9/2                     Paraguay 50/1            Japan 150/1 

England 6/1                 Ghana 66/1                 Switzerland 150/1 

Argentina 9/1              USA 66/1                     South Korea 200/1 

Germany 10/1             Denmark 66/1             Slovenia 200/1 

Holland 12/1               Greece 66/1                 Slovakia 250/1 

Italy 14/1                     Mexico 80/1                Honduras 350/1 

France 16/1                 Nigeria 80/1                Algeria 500/1 

Portugal 16/1              Australia 100/1           Korea DPR 500/1 

Ivory Coast 20/1          Uruguay 100/1            New Zealand 750/1 

Chile 40/1                    Cameroon 125/1

Replay

France v Rep of Ireland to be replayed 200/1

Video Technology

To be introduced for the World Cup 50/1

To view the full range of markets, please click on the link below.

World Cup

Comments

• edited November 2009
    thats generous of them,

cue the `I want a tourney refund coz my aces got crakd first hand` requests
  • edited November 2009
    very  nice  gesture  by  sky  bet
  • edited November 2009
    nice 1 rich  ,

nice 1 dale,

nice 1 sky bet ,

this is why sky is number 1 .
  • edited November 2009
    Well, if anyone was stupid enough to back Ireland to qualify in the 1st place, it wont be long before sky gets the refund back lol. What do you call an irishman in the world cup finals - REF lol
  • edited November 2009

that is very kind of Sky Bet.  Not many companies would bother.  Nice to see a company treating its customers with a level of decency and respect.

• edited November 2009
    Nice to see that the end result was ignored by skybet. Obviously blatant cheating cannot be seen to profitted from and hopefully more bookies will realise this
  • edited November 2009
    Good on Sky, sensible move, will guarantee future business.
    I don't suppose, after Ngog and his dive of the century, they fancy refunding any bets that people had on Birmingham to beat Liverpool do they?
  • edited November 2009
    i'm not sure about this one but Sky Bet often do some great refunds after sporting events. i'll try and post examples each time i hear of one
  • edited November 2009
    fair play to sky! unlike the french and Henry ;)
  • edited November 2009
    I'm pretty sure I've read in the T&C's somewhere that Sky also refund stakes if you lose your bet in injury time too.

i.e. You had £10 on a match to be a draw and it's 1-1 going in to injury time. If someone then scores a winner in injury time you get your £10 back.

Looking at the world cup odds, I'll be backing our boys as a matter of national pride but Germany, Holland & definitely Italy are certainly worth a look (I think the Italians were around the same price last time and everyone thought I was mad to back them). Surprised South Africa are priced that big though. I've been saying for a long time now that it's only a matter of time before an African nation wins a world cup and in their own back yard they're worth £1 each way. 
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: a nice gesture from our friends at Sky Bet:
    I'm pretty sure I've read in the T&C's somewhere that Sky also refund stakes if you lose your bet in injury time too. i.e. You had £10 on a match to be a draw and it's 1-1 going in to injury time. If someone then scores a winner in injury time you get your £10 back. Looking at the world cup odds, I'll be backing our boys as a matter of national pride but Germany, Holland & definitely Italy are certainly worth a look (I think the Italians were around the same price last time and everyone thought I was mad to back them). Surprised South Africa are priced that big though. I've been saying for a long time now that it's only a matter of time before an African nation wins a world cup and in their own back yard they're worth £1 each way. 
    Posted by silentbob
  • edited November 2009
    they certainly do. take a look here...

(taken from the sky bet site)

Fairplay Bookmaker Concessions

Don't miss our great fairplay concessions for live televised football matches.

Concession No. 1 - Top Goalscorer Bets
    If you back a player to be top goalscorer in any of the English and Scottish leagues and he leaves permanently to join a club in another league before the end of the season we'll refund your stake as a free bet.

Concession No. 2 - First Goalscorer Bets
    For all live games* - If you back a player to score the first goal and he is substituted in the 1st half when the score is still 0-0 then you'll get your stake back as a free bet. Offer only applies to bets placed prior to kick-off.

Concession No. 3 - Correct Score Bets
    For all live games* - If you place a correct score bet and it is correct at the 90:00 minute mark but loses in injury time then we'll refund your stake as a free bet. Offer only applies to bets placed prior to kick-off.

• edited November 2009
    Rich,

Can you ask them to refund bets on the Scotland football team? Not all the time just when they fail to turn up like they did in Norway, Wales etc :-)