You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Could I have played this differently?

edited November 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
This happened on the bubble of a regular sit n go.  Could I have played this differently?  Check-folding the flop seems a weak option.  My problem with pushing all-in on the flop is that I'm only getting called by a hand that's beating me and you'd think that a pot-bet would get the same job done as a shove.  However, getting called on the flop left me really short stacked.  So should I have pushed all-in on knowing that if my pot-bet gets called and I push all-in on the turn I can't make him fold?  Or should I have accepted I was behind (even though I was ahead) and check-folded the turn and/or river?  Any thoughts?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
fibbs Small blind   25.00 25.00 4752.50
Wilhelm Big blind   50.00 75.00 1215.00
  Your hole cards
  • A

ShahKatak Raise   150.00 225.00 2807.50
fibbs Call   125.00 350.00 4627.50
Wilhelm Call   100.00 450.00 1115.00
Flop

fibbs Check        
Wilhelm Bet   450.00 900.00 665.00
ShahKatak Call   450.00 1350.00 2357.50
fibbs Fold        
Turn

• Q

Wilhelm All-in   665.00 2015.00 0.00
ShahKatak Call   665.00 2680.00 1692.50
Wilhelm Show
  • A

ShahKatak Show
  • J

River

• K

ShahKatak Win Flush to the King 2680.00   4372.50

Comments

• edited November 2009

Fold pre-flop or shove on the flop.
  • edited November 2009
    yes you should fold with a5 when someone raises
  • edited November 2009
    most definately pre flop fold.

The question has to be asked what were you hoping to hit on the flop, especially after the hand had been raised pre flop and then called, your ace is probabably outkicked, and if one of the players has a pocket pair its probably higher than 5's

You've got over 20 BB, the other two players in the hand have you out stacked, its an easy hand to let go.

• edited November 2009
    Hi
    I agree you should have folded pre-flop, your out of position to the raise , so why get involved with a5 off.
    Also your post flop bet does price in any flush draw. On the flip side i DO like your turn bet and i think it was a bit of a bad call from your opponent.
    col
  • edited November 2009
    fold pre-flop, ace hits the board, you bet he raises

You have no idea where you stand, only ever going to lose money
  • edited November 2009

Bubble play is all about aggression at the right time here

Although the blinds are still micro here, so I assume it has been of a bit of a shove fest.

There is still play in everyones chips but regardless, flat calling is not really an option.

Better to wait, bide your time and then shove at the best moment. Your flop bet showed he was never going to go anywhere and effectively made you pot stuck.

If I were in the hand, which I doubt, as the initial raise had already been called elsewhere, it would be a check then fold to any bet and wait for a much better spot to shove.

Ace 5 in a 3 way pot OOP is a dire hand to play.

Better to go out in a blaze of glory with ace 5 than slowly donk chips away.

You were being beaten by any pocket pair 6 or above or any case 6. Both of these options would certainly be in his range, looking at the state of the table at level 3.

• edited November 2009
    By the way William, definately wise to ask the mods to remove your original 2 posts.

I don't want to see your balance.

But then again, I am too nosy and had to scroll up just to see if I could.
  • edited November 2009
    you shouldn't have even got involved in this. You're on the bubble, well stacked, why do it? Better spots will appear.
  • edited November 2009
    Once the pot has been limped into by ther players u have 2 valid options and one option that u really should not be doing.

You chose the worst option m8.  You really needed to shove or fold. What possible flop is going to help u and make u feel confident that ur ahead with?  With the blinds as they were, I would have folded and waited for a better spot / cards as u still had as fair bit of time left.
  • edited November 2009

Calling pre was the biggest mistake