You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SPT Semi Micro Sat - Flopped Set

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
This is still fairly early in one of the SPT Micro Sats. 11 runners so 2 seats and £3.20 for 3rd.

We've either lost 1 or 2 so far, either way, we're 4-handed. I think it's fine to just make up the SB pre this deep with 2 limpers in front.

I check with the intention of check-raising, assuming 1 of the 3 opponents is gonna bet. That goes to plan fine. It's the turn onwards really I want advice on (or earlier decisions if you feel I made mistakes).

Was I right to check to him and see if he bets out again? I guess he checks behind on the turn with a FD but now I've housed up, I should be able to stack most bad opponents if he checks the turn and hits the river.
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Lambert180 Small blind   25.00 25.00 3167.50
X Big blind   50.00 75.00 2505.00
  Your hole cards

ADIESHADY Call   50.00 125.00 1450.00
HurriKane Call   50.00 175.00 5202.50
Lambert180 Call   25.00 200.00 3142.50
X Check        
Flop

• Q

Lambert180 Check        
X Bet   100.00 300.00 2405.00
ADIESHADY Fold        
HurriKane Fold        
Lambert180 Raise   250.00 550.00 2892.50
X Call   150.00 700.00 2255.00
Turn

Lambert180 Check        
X Check        
River

Lambert180 Bet   550.00 1250.00 2342.50
X Fold        
Lambert180 Muck        
Lambert180 Win   700.00   3042.50
Lambert180 Return   550.00 0.00 3592.50

Comments

• edited August 2012
    bet flop. If you decide to cr raise bigger. If you check you're risking it being checked around which loses value. c/r this spot is pretty strong and pretty much narrows your range down to what you have
    as played def bet turn
    Your line kinda sucks

• edited August 2012
    Fair enough, at least your honest lol.

So how would you play it... bet, bet, bet/shove?
  • edited August 2012

I agree that you should lead the flop. There's no reason to believe that, in a limped pot, anyone is going to bet behind but they may call a bet with a draw or a pair. The check-raise looks strong but also looks a bit like you might have a flush draw, so I don't agree with Percival09 that it looks only like a set or big hand. I don't absolutely hate it but the size you've made it means that he would not be making a mistake to call with a flush draw and you're not charging him much if he's got a Queen. You don't want to make it cheap for him here, only for a heart to hit the turn and lead to you i) losing your customer who folds his Queen, ii) going behind to a flush iii) folding to a bluff...

On the turn it's a cardinal sin to check, in my opinion. You have the betting lead and you probably scared the life out of him by check-raising the flop. He called your flop raise so he'll probably call a bet here too. He's almost never betting here with any hand... unless he happens to have a 6 or a better house.

Lead the flop. After you've check-raised the flop, bet the turn.

• edited August 2012
    Pretty much lol simple 
  • edited August 2012

you flopped a set... do a dance and get it in asap

• edited August 2012
    i dnt mind the check raise on flop but raise bigger and when u raise y are u checking the turn this makes no sense after raisng the flop u have to lead out the turn and bet river 
  • edited August 2012
    Line on flop isnt the worst although im with the others in leading out with the set. C/R kind of does turn your hand almost face up IMO. Once youve c/r flop and taken betting lead i think you got to bet the turn. If your flop c/r didnt have alarm bells ringing saying "set!!!" then your turn check has definitely turned the sprinklers on! 

• edited August 2012
    c/r flop bigger
    bet turn

don't think c/r this flop is that bad in a limped pot, oppo obviously betting with some Q, 6, underpair. draw - maybe air

get some value by raising more on flop and betting turn

think c/r or lead pretty much narrows your range so don't think it makes any differance - your only hoping someone has something in a limped pot that you can extract from - just go for full value versus QJ type hands & draws

not betting turn is the mistake here imo
  • edited August 2012
    I wouldnt c/r the flop in this manner defo dont give up the lead on the turn. Draws will call turn but not the river, we have them dead, lets charge em.