You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SHOULD HENRY BE BANNED

edited November 2009 in The Shed

A Nation has been knocked out of the world cup due to blatant cheating by Henry, he even lied in an interview afterwards.

He handled the ball twice, the first time I can maybe understand, the second time he deliberatly controlled the ball keeping it in play.

The Irish Economy will lose millions, its about time the Football authorities did something about this cheating.

Ban him from football.

Make them replay.

Or are you happy to let him live with it on his conscious, Maradona certainly isn't sorry about what he did.

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Torrylad,,

You get away with what you can in football,

Before all the cameras

there was elbows in the face
    standing on opponents toes
    spitting

the list goes on...

As an die hard English Man, im with Edward Longshanks
  • edited November 2009
      What he did was wrong and that sort of action should not go unpunished. But would there be as much controversy over this in this country if it had been an irishman who did this which led to the french being knocked out. Basically there would be no problem and we would be praising the guy for doing what he did for his country.

I will not condone Henry for what he did but put yourself in his shoes for a second. Would you do that for your country?
  • edited November 2009
    Firstly the Irish didnt do it Henry did.

Would i do it for my country and forever be known as a cheat, defo no.

And I would not be praising any other scotsman for doing that either.  Joe Jordon against wales 1978 springs to mind.
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to SHOULD HENRY BE BANNED:
    A Nation has been knocked out of the world cup due to blatant cheating by Henry, he even lied in an interview afterwards. He handled the ball twice, the first time I can maybe understand, the second time he deliberatly controlled the ball keeping it in play. The Irish Economy will lose millions, its about time the Football authorities did something about this cheating. Ban him from football. Make them replay. Or are you happy to let him live with it on his conscious, Maradona certainly isn't sorry about what he did.
    Posted by Torryladd
    tough question torry ,

been a Irish person myself ,

i find it hard to say ban him,

its happen every week in football,

all around the world,

that's a lot of banning,

me thinks video footage like rugby.

i once heard a judge saying on tv a long time ago about honesty and people,

10 o/o of people are completely honest,

80 o/o are as honest as far as  the rules that can be bent ,

10 o/o are completely  dishonest,

i think henry falls in the middle one,

but boy i would have like to have kicked him in the middle one last night,

lol no one died .

• edited November 2009
    True,

but when he went on telly and lied the steam was coming out my ears. 

He knew exactly what he did.

Yep defo a kick in the same place
  • edited November 2009
     I don't think he should be banned. What he did was wrong, but it wasn't the only reason Ireland went out, they didn't score enough goals. We don't what would have happened if France hadn't scored that goal, and we never will, but in my opinion before last night Henry had always acted honestly and with great integrity, an ambassador for world football. I feel sorry for Ireland, as they were the best team over the two game's. One more thing, has Ronaldo ever come out after a game and admitted that he blatantly dived, i don't think so.
  • edited November 2009
    i dont think henry should be banned, yes what he has done is unforgiveable, but it was at the referees discretion, and thus the referee didnt see it he should be takin all the flack. henrys reputation will forever be tarnished for his acts, but he admitted and apologised, but shouldnt be banned.
  • edited November 2009

Every professional footballer cheats.

They will do whatever they can get away with to give themselves an edge in either scoring or stopping the other side.

Its distasteful but a fact of life and in two weeks time when the world cup draw is taking place the pro's will secretly say Henry did the right think because France are going and Ireland are'nt.

P.S i voted no. 

• edited November 2009
    Just another thought on this topic.

Old Trafford 2001 v Greece. When Beckham scored that freekick to get us to the world cup did anyone care that Sheringham had conned the ref into giving the freekick.

NO.

Years later and i've heard players/pundits applauding him for his professionalism in buying the freekick.

It may not be as blatant as Henrys handball but the prize was the same.
  • edited November 2009
    if you tell the truth you dont have to remember  anything

• edited November 2009
    So don't you think a process should be in place to penalise this sort of thing?
  • edited November 2009
    t here is but the authorities have not got the guts to use itbut what goes round comes rounpd  remeber diego?
  • edited November 2009
    Deliberate Hand Ball is only Punishable by a Yellow Card unless  its a goal scoring oppotunity then its Red - im with you on his Post Match Interview
  • edited November 2009
    Fiction - The main responsability of a striker is to score goals in a professional and sporting manner

Fact - The main responsability of a striker is to dive, fall over in the box and con the ref into giving a penalty, failing that, cheat in any way possible to get a goal, then if all else fails, try to score within the rules.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi
    To be honest this and other instances of cheating this season, is why i no longer have any real interest in football.
    The governing bodies have the means to deal with these low lifes.
    On one hand these players go on about refereeing decisions and then con them on the other.
    THEY ARE ALL CHEATS AND SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH BRINGING THE GAME INTO DISREPUTE. There is NOT a SPORTSMAN among the lot of em.
    Rant over
    col
  • edited November 2009
    He should be fined.  Cheating is cheating. Unfortunately you seee it all the time in a lot of sports, F1, Rugby Union etc. He should have been man enough to admit it. No respect for him now.
    It will be interesting to see if UEFA or FIFA say anything. Doubt they will do much as France are one of the "Big" nations and Ireland are not.
  • edited November 2009
    NO ITS HUMAN ERROR AGAIN , ITS LIKE THE TECHNOLAGY QUESTION , SHOULD THERE BE CAMERAS, I THINK THE TEAM CAPTIN SHOULD HAVE ONE CHALLENGE PER HALF, LIKE TENNIS ON THAT 1 ,
  • edited November 2009
    No i don't think he should be banned. it's up to the official's to do their jobs. from the virtual sky camera the lino had a clear view of it. But with the game being so fast today you could just about forgive him. It's time for technology to move on into football. It works so well in other sports and it has not ruined any one of them! just sepp blatter and platini playing godfather as usual .... it's my ball i'll decide who is going to play! the sooner these two clowns are out the better it will be for everyone else.

these 2 clowns have between them have been bringing the game down for years. Should france be punished .... NO Should henry be banned ... No should the officials be re-trained ....YES and should the match be replayed ...... OH H E L L YEAH!!!!!!

just my interpretation on the subject ;)
  • edited November 2009
    I didn't see the game but have seen the incident in question.

Firstly, no I don't think he should be banned. I'm not agreeing with what he did but as others have already said here, these things happen in all sports.

I think the bigger picture here is video technology & IMO, in this day & age with so much at stake financially there is no reason not to use video technology. A lot of people argue that it will slow the game down but I really don't think it would. How long were the Irish players chasing round the officials trying to tell him it was handball? It takes Sky a second or two to get a replay up so there's no excuses for not using it in the professional game.
  • edited November 2009
    Footballers all cheat IMO. It doesn't matter that this was a massive game, the mantra of football now is to win at all costs. Unfortunately, somebody always loses when another person cheats. Is Henry any worse than Ngog from Liverpool who blatantly dived for a penalty the other week? Is it any worse than the art of falling like you've been felled by an elephant gun? Or tripping over your own feet as the goalie comes diving at you? These things happen in every match you see every weekend. Technology is used in just about every other major sport worldwide now, but football seems to reject this notion out of hand, why? 
  • edited November 2009

Will the wingers please shut up,throughout footie history players have cheated from Webb (Chelsea) fouling J Charlton (Leeds) to win FA Cup replay and of course the infamous FLee diving (header) sorry I mean diving right hand punch,but I agree that if players can be punished on video evidence then so should refs,major19.   
  • edited November 2009
    In Response to Re: SHOULD HENRY BE BANNED:
      What he did was wrong and that sort of action should not go unpunished. But would there be as much controversy over this in this country if it had been an irishman who did this which led to the french being knocked out. Basically there would be no problem and we would be praising the guy for doing what he did for his country.   I will not condone Henry for what he did but put yourself in his shoes for a second. Would you do that for your country?
    Posted by Talon
    spot on talon !!..bloody hypocrits
  • edited November 2009
    henry can't be banned or 200 other players need to be encountered for too.
    football has been nonsense since the late 80s, since then and the day that the premiership evolved in the 90s, football died.
    it's a business nowadays and players are aware of that.