You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mini £1000

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Without the results when i put shover on AJ is this always a call??
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
boxer147 Small blind  40.00 40.00 3143.13
ROCKLY Big blind  80.00 120.00 5170.00
 Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

19MUFC19 Raise  240.00 360.00 9092.50
JimRiddle7 Call  240.00 600.00 3560.00
everest07 Fold     
DC07728 Fold     
boxer147 Call  200.00 800.00 2943.13
ROCKLY Fold     
Flop

• J

boxer147 Check     
19MUFC19 Bet  320.00 1120.00 8772.50
JimRiddle7 All-in  3560.00 4680.00 0.00
boxer147 All-in  2943.13 7623.13 0.00
19MUFC19 Call  3240.00 10863.13 5532.50
boxer147 Show

19MUFC19 Show
  • A
  • K

JimRiddle7 Show
  • J
  • A

Turn

River

19MUFC19 Win Flush to the Ace 10863.13

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Even if you know he has AJo, you're still a slight underdog and what about the guy who calls the shove? I think in this spot, you can probably only assume you have 9 heart outs because it's unlikely just an A or K will win it, so you've only got 36% of making the hand, knocking a bit off for the times someone houses up with their sets and 2prs that you'll see often.

You are getting the odds just about though, guess it depends whether you take a marginal gamble when you don't need to. Personally I fold.

EDIT: Having seen you have like 8k+ might affect my decision. It means I'm more likely to take something that's a bit more marginal +EV when you can lose and still have a very playable stack.
  • edited August 2012
    I put shover on AJ so i thought i can flush or hit a King but when other guy went all in thought i can only hit the flush here cause he probably has a K?

If second guy doesnt go all in id of probably folded! Just with him calling thought it was a good gamble to take?
  • edited August 2012

Before I comment, I'd like to ask what your reasoning was behind putting the shover on specifically AJ. Why were so sure he didn't have QJ, KJ, a flush draw, a set, two-pair, etc? If we know your thought processes, it is easier to offer tailored advice.

I fold to the shove and the call on the flop, mainly because of the caller. We're getting 2.5;1 on the call but it's very possible that we could be up against a set and a flush draw which would leave us with just 7 outs or even 5 outs against a set and a straight flush draw, with both opponents having redraw potential. That's a nightmare scenario but even up against a pair and a flush draw where neither player has an Ace or King, we only have 13 outs and that's probably the best case scenario.

It's really gambling to make the call and I think you should conserve your chips and wait for a better spot.

EDIT: Thinking about it again, it's perhaps not a terrible gamble to take. I've not got the stove thingy to work out the exact expected value but it's probably quite tight. I'd definitely fold but maybe someone else will get you some clear numbers.

• edited August 2012
    I'm confused, why does he probably have a K when he calls a shove. The only hands I see him calling a shove with are JJ, 44, 77, 47, J7, J4, AA, KK, QQ ignoring the fact he shouldnt call some of these pre (and he did turn up with 74 lol) and probably 56 of hearts.
  • edited August 2012
    I found him to be a really tight player so in the 10 seconds you get to make a decision i put him calling pre then shoving on the flop to be AJ? The other guy i didnt really have time to put him on a hand? If it was live play and no clock my decision might of been different?
    Defo was leaning on the side of fold if the second guy didnt go all in! just thought him putting his money in making it 3200 to with 7600 to hit a heart?

I dont know why im asking for the advice lol
  • edited August 2012
    Call!- you've got a nut flush draw and a possible two overs and you need to win flips like this to win the mtt

not sure how u can ever put someone specifically on just AJ here...
  • edited August 2012
    Agree with those saying calling. Its a 3 quid tourny and these spots are exactly the sort of things you need/want to get to a FT/win a tourney especially in a field with 300+ ... it turns into a massive grind if you fold in these spots IMO!
  • edited August 2012
    Bet flop bigger, esp if you are calling it off
  • edited August 2012
    Am perfectly happy to generate a large pot in an online T in this kind of spot, win or lose.