You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

28k ftw, FT bubble, flop confusion

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
$100+$9 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t10000/t20000 Blinds + t2000 - 6 players

RunThisTable (BTN): t563696 M = 13.42
Drazzic (SB): t351646 M = 8.37
Hero (BB): t1125930 M = 26.81
driedubbel (UTG): t955558 M = 22.75
The Rounderr (MP): t662470 M = 15.77
Wolfhound99 (CO): t428519 M = 10.20

Pre Flop: (t42000) Hero is BB with [8d Tc]
3 folds, RunThisTable raises to t45525, 1 fold, Hero calls t25525

Flop: (t113050) [Ad Ac Jd] (2 players)
Hero checks, RunThisTable bets t33375, Hero raises to t92788, RunThisTable raises to t152201, Hero raises to t211614, RunThisTable raises to t271027, Hero raises to t880000

This is the final table bubble. It is against LuckyChewy who also has about $1.5m live earnings. The said tournament has $28,000 ftw.

What do you think of my play?

Comments

• edited August 2012
    terrible, you have no equity and are repping very little against a very tough opponent for whom 28k is pawket change. fold pre ainec.
  • edited August 2012
    Fold pre. Whats the plan when you flat?

Hate c/r that flo (even if your plan was to c/r lots of flops) , it looks fos. The last raise appears to have 0 fe also, although it appears you may have been in levelling war so who knows
  • edited August 2012
    mmmmmm 28k pocket change
  • edited August 2012
    I love this play awesome to 7 bet bluff this flop shows you have got balls we are clearly in a leveling war here and standing up well and truely to the test fearless.  
  • ybyb
    edited August 2012
    i'm guessing it worked and this should be in bbv?
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 28k ftw, FT bubble, flop confusion:
    I love this play awesome to 7 bet bluff this flop shows you have got balls we are clearly in a leveling war here and standing up well and truely to the test fearless.  
    Posted by bearlyther
    Is this comment a level? can't tell if your serious.

There is no value in this play, not even taking into account his stack size / payouts / weaker opponents to play / doing it stone cold. 

It actually upsets me to see someone in this position give away stacks.  
  • edited August 2012
    Cos going deep is so easy so what I'll do is literally the worst thing I can possibly think of against one of the best players in the world....

Like I'm pretty depressed there is no judo/table tennis/beach volleyball on for me to watch now, this hand may send me over the edge.
  • edited August 2012
    your ego played this hand, not u )
  • edited August 2012
    i'm guessing it worked and this should be in bbv?
    Posted by yb
    Hero raises to t880000, RunThisTable folds

Final Pot: t655104
    Hero mucks 8 T
    Hero wins t655104
  • edited August 2012
    Please keep making such good plays.
  • edited August 2012
    haha ego wins, big heart !
  • edited August 2012
  • edited August 2012
    seen u play alot andy a gd mtt player keep up the good work 
  • edited August 2012
    seen u play alot andy a gd mtt player keep up the good work 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
     thanks <3
  • edited August 2012
    Please keep making such good plays.
    Posted by beaneh
    will do. thanks for the support
  • edited August 2012
    There's an enormous difference between being nitty and 6betting an AAJ flop with T8o.

Like with all massive stone cold bluffs, it looks really clever when it works... when it doesn't you end up looking like an idiot and bubble the FT or leave yourself a tiny stack compared to what you started with. Granted you should be aggressive and not just thinking about laddering, but that doesn't translate to being a maniac.
  • edited August 2012
    fair enough. il just fold pre next time.
  • edited August 2012
    @wow1tsandy ... why did you remove your first response haha. I preferred it. You bottle it?
  • edited August 2012
    @wow1tsandy ... why did you remove your first response haha. I preferred it. You bottle it?
    Posted by percival09

I was gonna quote it in my reply as well :(  ...FAIL
  • edited August 2012
    Posted by percival09
    decided to become a nit and go for a nit reply.
  • edited August 2012
    I dont understand why this play is being berrated we clearly know that our opponant has nothing and have stood up to the test yet some people on here dont like it because we have air.  Who says we needs to have cards to win at poker?  
  • edited August 2012
    great heart to follow through with his conviction but really on FT bubble, fold pre )
    h8 the defend from the BB, prefer 3 bet - then the I got it , o no I got it raises is just lol -
    wouldn't be so funny if oppo did have it :S Wouldn't post it then would ya !

gg egotastic

saying that chewy should just check behind )
  • edited August 2012
    I dont understand why this play is being berrated we clearly know that our opponant has nothing and have stood up to the test yet some people on here dont like it because we have air.  Who says we needs to have cards to win at poker?  
    Posted by bearlyther
    Can we really KNOW he has nothing though? and how many bets/raises/3,4bets did it take before 'we' KNEW he had nothing? What do you do if the guy just flats the 4bet on the flop? Just check/fold the turn? Having thrown away 20% of our stack on a stone cold bluff for nothing but ego. Tournaments at any level can be won, without this kinda play (at that statement applies to any level of buy-in).
  • edited August 2012
    Do the critics of this play think it is merely coincidence that hyper-aggression has become the successful style for tourneys nowadays ? 

Of course there'll be plenty of times this play won't work, but if you bust with 10 high you can console yourself with the thought that you gave yourself a chance to get in one of the big money spots.

• edited August 2012
    Posted by bearlyther
    We don't KNOW he had nothing. Most of the time he is making a bad fold. 

OP's play technically has alot of fold equity as he is repping big aces and FH's, so it gets through a high % but when it doesnt get through he's locked and gives away a dominating position in the tourney. 

Must be so easy playing MTT's for ppl like chewy, when every other random just wants to make you fold a hand and will risk their stack in the process.. 
  • edited August 2012
    do we really play for hours and run this deep and on FT bubble to then gamble on a stone cold bluff just because you want to defend the BB ? Think your giving yourself every oppoturnity to bust rarther than win imo

credit for having the heart though ) doubt your flatting pre with an ace/JJ in the bb though ! ) or maybe not :s

ps. love the way you both give each other every chance to fold, telegraphed polarised raises FTW - thought Chewy would shove on you, obviously he not that good )
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: 28k ftw, FT bubble, flop confusion : Can we really KNOW he has nothing though? and how many bets/raises/3,4bets did it take before 'we' KNEW he had nothing? What do you do if the guy just flats the 4bet on the flop? Just check/fold the turn? Having thrown away 20% of our stack on a stone cold bluff for nothing but ego. Tournaments at any level can be won, without this kinda play (at that statement applies to any level of buy-in).
    Posted by Lambert180
    Of course we can't know villain has nothing. It becomes quite likely he is weak when he 3bets flop imo. 

He's not throwing away 20% of his stack for 'nothing but ego', he's trying to gain chips by applying pressure on the bubble. Whether the play is good is debatable, but it's not neccesarily anything to do with ego

Saying tournaments at any level can be won without this type of play is highly questionable, if other players are putting this kind of pressure on you you are really unlikely to win by waiting for cards. 
  • edited August 2012
    Hi 'Andy

I'm glad i'm not good enough to either appreciate or deprecate this play. Your hand would have had me pressing the fold button quicker than the Roadrunner!! I'm aghast. Why play the hand with these m values? What was your logic to go into the pot.? Did you have a plan? What was it? I'm confused. I'll stick to my £2.30 Bh's merci beaucoup
  • edited August 2012
    +1gt was gonna make similar response
  • edited August 2012
    I'm not saying there isn't a place for making moves/bluffing people in late stages of MTTs, but in this particular scenario, I'd say that a very high percentage of the time one of 2 things is gonna happen once you decide to start 3 and 4betting this flop.

1) You win a smallish pot which is not gonna make a huge impact on your chances of getting one of the very top finishing places.

2) You lose a massive chunk of your stack, which will affect your chances of getting one of the very top finishing places.

I just don't think the risk warrants the reward. Granted on this occasion he made a pretty size-able increase to his stack, but I'd say this outcome is the exception as appose to the norm.