You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best Way to Extract Value

edited August 2012 in The Poker Clinic
Fine to lead out on the flop here? Didn't know if I should check to get it in later because he's very short compared to the pot size, but then I c-bet when I miss too... although it's not like people at this level are gonna notice it being fishy that I haven't c-bet.

Thoughts?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
MrBlonde12 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £12.14
Lambert180 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £8.27
  Your hole cards
  • J
  • J

gedders222 Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.10
chipzz19 Call   £0.12 £0.30 £2.89
greenjoe Fold        
MrBlonde12 Call   £0.10 £0.40 £12.04
Lambert180 Raise   £0.60 £1.00 £7.67
gedders222 Fold        
chipzz19 Call   £0.52 £1.52 £2.37
MrBlonde12 Fold        
Flop

• J

Lambert180 Bet   £0.76 £2.28 £6.91
chipzz19 Fold        
Lambert180 Muck        
Lambert180 Win   £1.40   £8.31
Lambert180 Return   £0.76 £0.12 £9.07

Comments

• edited August 2012
    Go round their house and glue on pictures of 77 or 44 on their screen in place of the cards they fold just so as to make sure you get paid! WP.
  • ybyb
    edited August 2012
    as its not too wet a board i'd cbet smaller (like 1/3 or 1/4 pot), with the stacks to pot ratio as it is it's not like you need to bet big amounts to get stacks in by the river
  • edited August 2012
    yeah chips is pretty short I'd probz bet smaller but it's okkkk
  • edited August 2012
    Just thought id chip in here ... barely ever play cash but trying to get involved by playing this limit and played 2 tables ... managed to lose 2 BI's on one table but then left the other with 11.75 so lost a whole 25p ... some of the play was absolutely dreadful and the amount of min betting and min raising was beyond belief. Is this normal?! I think the lead there is fine as if the turn is a 3rd heart or a 6, you could leave yourself in trouble on the river, despite being miles ahead on the flop!

Lambert you seem a nice chap/good player/offer good advice, what would your top 3 tips be at this level?! I play smaller MTT's 99% of the time so what sort of things do i need to do to adjust my play!?

Kev
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Best Way to Extract Value:
    Just thought id chip in here ... barely ever play cash but trying to get involved by playing this limit and played 2 tables ... managed to lose 2 BI's on one table but then left the other with 11.75 so lost a whole 25p ... some of the play was absolutely dreadful and the amount of min betting and min raising was beyond belief. Is this normal?! I think the lead there is fine as if the turn is a 3rd heart or a 6, you could leave yourself in trouble on the river, despite being miles ahead on the flop! Lambert you seem a nice chap/good player/offer good advice, what would your top 3 tips be at this level?! I play smaller MTT's 99% of the time so what sort of things do i need to do to adjust my play!? Kev
    Posted by AllInKev
    yes its normal.

theres many a thread kicking around the forum on how to play and successfully beat nl4, it may be worth digging around a little to find 1 or 2 of them. theres also a blog type post done by dohhhhh about nl4 somewhere but im not sure where abouts on the site, im sure someone who does know where it is will point you in its direction.

a few basics,

play tight as most others are playing very loose.
    keep bluffing to minimum as players dont like folding
    bet for value on all streets with big hands

keep this in mind you wont go far wrong
  • edited August 2012
    Hi Kev,

Cheers for the nice words. TinTin has already pretty much summed it up and he has been seriously crushing 4NL for as long as I can remember.

Here's a few tips, and literally by following these, you will beat 4NL.

Keep your opening range very tight, something along the lines of AT+, KQ and all PPs. When you open make it 5x... people who call 2 or 3x will think nothing of calling 5 or 6x so you wanna just get maximum value when you have the best hand. The only exception to this is that I will limp along or just call a small raise with 22-99.

If you hit your hand, never slowplay, just bet, bet, bet. Don't ever flat pre for deception with stuff like QQ+ just keep raising and get it in.

Bluff very little if at all because you have little fold equity against most players here who will call 3 streets with bottom pr. I wouldn't even suggest semi-bluffing much with things like the nut FD because you won't get folds often, and it's easy to get all the money in against most playes at this level when you hit, and when you don't it's cheaper.

I tried to find the guide to 4NL by Dohhhh that TinTin was talking about but the Poker School seems to have completely disappeared. Anyone have any ideas about this?

• edited August 2012
    Okay cheers gents ill have a little look over the next 2 days and see what i can find...

Thanks for the initial advice. Will keep it in mind and TRY to put it into practice ...
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to Re: Best Way to Extract Value:
    Go round their house and glue on pictures of 77 or 44 on their screen in place of the cards they fold just so as to make sure you get paid! WP.
    Posted by beaneh
    Sigh.....

LOL